Bacon made easy

1. When it is firm. There is probably some exact science to it, but mushiness is not good.
2. If you did not add enough cure I would be certain NOT to eat it raw and make sure the internal temp is high enough on smoking to kill diseases. The cure is there to prevent the nasties.
3. Yes - in fact, I leave it out of the fridge entirely to develop a good pellicle which is what the smoke sticks to.

Darren,
You should have no problem doing this with belly either.
I have some smoking right now on the kettle, using the snake method, and holding at 170 to 180 with sugar maple for smoke.

Saw on the news that bacon is at it's highest price in 30 years at an average of $6.11/lb.
THAT in it's self! Is a CRYING SHAME!!!

Russia has just banned pork imports from US and Canada due to the sanctions issue so maybe it will drop. BTW, a good friend runs the most amazing butcher/sausage shop and he tells me that his costs for bellies has tripled. His margin is less than three bucks a pound - cured! (That means all his labour. materials, smoking etc.)

It's cooking.

eemyQQtl.jpg

We decided to keep it simple. One has black pepper, one is plain (nothing but the brown sugar and TQ mixture).

Well it has been since Wednesday and parts are firm while others are not... I am going to wait till Friday to do this... If I did not add enough cure, it will just taste less like cured bacon? I am going to smoke it and by all means, cook it before I eat it...

Ray, I totally agree with you but..
when I started this thread a lot of members, who were making bacon, talked about pink salt, metric weight/measure, ratios, calculators, wet curing, etc.
My goal was to hopefully show how simple curing bacon can be.
24,000 views shows me there is an interest.

I had no idea that finding MTQ would be a problem for some.
In my area, MTQ is available at some farm & home stores, sporting goods and grocery stores.
An eBay seller has it for $12.47 including shipping, a bit pricey, but it does weigh 2 pounds.
My local market has it for $4.39... so if you want some, I will ship it in batches... lol

I sure do.
It makes the scrambled eggs much more fluffy. Cold water.

I thought everybody used this trick to get fluffy scrambled eggs??

My parents both from Ireland put milk instead of water I couldn't get enough of it growing up.

Also,Wegmans Food Market carries Morton's tender quick salt near me.

Gonna try this soon!

Last edited:
I swear I will stop asking questions soon.

Sliced off a sample piece this morning. Bob, you are officially my #1 man-crush.

Around what pit temperature should I aim for? I know it needs to be a cool smoke, but I am wondering whether that means 200F or 150F.

Should I be applying a ton of smoke, or just a hint?

This thread is awesome lol

Also, Bob thanks for sharing :wsm:

"But if it does not all get cured, as long as you cook to temp, it should be fine?"
Yes, as long as it was turned every day or so it will all be cured, and fully cooking will make it safe if not fully cured.
If any doubts at all, keep a weeks portion in the fridge, and freeze the rest in weekly portions.

"Do you soak it water? or just run water over it?"
I cure mine in large zip-lock bag, after the cure I run water in the bag, flush it well, and let it soak for a few minutes, then repeat a few times.

My disclaimer, I'm far from being an expert on this subject, there are other members with more experience and knowledge about curing meats.
Sadly, they seldom post here anymore.

After rinse, how long foes it take to get that outer coating
The pellicle can form in a few hours in the fridge, some use a fan on the counter to speed things up.
I usually go overnight and smoke it the next morning.
Be sure to dry it well after the rinse.

It's really only about drying the bacon well before smoking.

Cinnamon and Sugar, the fave....

Grilling

Sliced.

Fryin

Brown Sugar and Cracked Pepper.

Thanks to all that helped, Bob and others...

That is some very fine looking bacon Matthew!
Much more lean than my recent batch.
You like the cinnamon and sugar best eh? :)
Me too!

Yea. I liked the cinnamon sugar was the better. Both were good..

Question: how is the best to freeze? I have no vacuum sealer. Only ziplock and/or freezer paper.

Back