Baby Back Trimmings

ChrisMoorer

Any good recipes out there to utilize the trimmings from my ribs?? Prolly gonna get some smoke on them then move to a Dutch oven to braise and slow cook for tacos?? Sounds good in theory, y'all got any other ideas?

Hmm I'm confused? I never get those types of trimmings of BB's? ( Just remove the membrane and any large fat)
I cook for my family so is this a comp thing?

Tim

I was also surprised with the excess meat. They were almost the size of spare ribs, no complaints here though. $3.99/lb at Whole Foods this weekend. Should be coming off the WSM momentarily.

Quick follow up...After 2 hrs of smoke, I cooked down the trimmings on the stove all day while the ribs were out back on the WSM. Used onions, poblano peppers, beef broth, sriracha and ended up with spicy shredded ribs. I didn't do it tonight but could use the meat on tacos, burger toppings (thanks Chuck O/Carl's JR -- looks incredible) or just a rib sammie on white bread. May even get weird and mix with mac and cheese. Im glad I put my the trimmings to good use, it's ashame to toss good meat. Ribs were very good, but I expected better meat quality from Whole Foods. WSM had to weather a good storm at one point, so that always makes for a fun day, but she held temp like a champ. Also on a side note, I made Doug's smoked mushroom dip and it was legit. I'm not even a huge mushroom guy but my wife and friends are and we all loved it. Sorry for the lack of presentation on the dip pic, forgot to snap one while it was plated up nice. Appreciate the recipe.

Enjoy yalls 4th! Roll Tide America.

I rarely trim ribs, just some ragged chunks maybe. They go on the rack, and get eaten, lol

As Timothy said, I've NEVER trimmed (or even needed to trim) backs. Sides, all the time but never backs. And even then, it's only the back bone of the side that gets "squared up".

I can see doing it with the extra meaty types. Sometimes that loin meat doesn't hold up and dries out if you aren't careful. But I never have either.

There was a recent cook that I should have trimmed the ribs and didn't. My sisterinlaw got these her local commissary, they had more meat than I've even seen ribs have

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70290-Six-Baby-Backs-on-the-Weber-Spirit

Sloppiest butcher job EVER (kudos to SIL :) ) .

I find though, when they're too thick the thickest parts seem to dry out. I used to get whole loins/ribs attached and made my own boneless chops and b.b. (along with the tenderloin still in place--I knew where to go to get them ;) )

One time I cut them thick like that and found I preferred them thin(ner) (than the ones pictured).

Well...

Most spares I see come trimmed (like cryovac center-cut). I suppose some don't, but I personally haven't heavily trimmed any pork spares since my days at rib restaurant in college. We used to just chuck the scraps, but I guess you could render and use in another dish.

If you grind your own burgers, keep the pork rib trimmings. Cube them up and freeze them, then add about 10%-20% (by weight) to your burger mix. The pork adds a little sweetness to the burger without messing with the beefy taste.

Jeff

Back