B&B where are you?

TroyS

TVWBB Member
Does anyone know why B&B briquettes (oak) are so hard to find? Checked numerous places and either out of stock or very limited supply.

Nope. I used the char logs for a smoke last night because my usual source had none of the orange bag briquettes

I'm tired of good products dissapearing, and being left with cheap

The local hardware store started carrying B+B a couple of years back, and lately, it seems that they've been keeping more of the [green bag] mesquite variety in stock over the [brown bag] oak.

Our area has been out for months. Have been able to get lump but no char logs or briquettes. Finally, my academy shows they will be back in stock next week so hopefully other spots will get them also.

I can't get them either. Blame Aaron Franklin for saying they were his favorite and guys like me for piling on the bandwagon!

Blame Aaron Franklin for saying they were his favorite and guys like me for piling on the bandwagon!
Shoot, I've been looking for B+B for several years, after I spotted a bag on _Barbecuing with Franklin_ from PBS. Local Ace started carrying it a couple of years ago. B+B and Rockwood are pretty close, the B+B is definitely cheaper. BGE is also awfully good, but $$$$$.

Pre COVID-19 I could find B+B at my local Ace Hardware in-stock all of the time.

Now it’s rarely in-stock and when in-stock it will be one bag.

I searched Ace’s website for local stores that had B+B in-stock. I found two stores with stock this morning, first store had one bag and the second had nine.

The store with one bag was on the way to the store with nine bags. Round trip was 40 miles, well worth it for a great charcoal. This will last me about two-three months.

Cheers

Attachments

• 8768F491-B5B2-4CA5-928F-605233A8E3A9.jpeg
    8768F491-B5B2-4CA5-928F-605233A8E3A9.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 19
I think COVID has just upset the supply and demand for charcoal. I've noticed that the off the shelf choices everywhere (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, True Value, etc..) in the St. Louis area are all pretty limited right now. It seems to me that the supply just isn't keeping up with demand in most parts of the USA. Lots of people are smoking and grilling at home because not as many people are commuting these days.

LOL, there should be priority groups! TVWBB forum posters first, all others a distant 2nd! Maybe Chris could get us all some membership cards to carry around?? Earlier in the pandemic, I saw people trading toilet paper for charcoal.... :ROFLMAO:

That's probably why Academy doesn't have any. Academy charges $9 per bag. Ace Hardware wants $14.
I paid $13 per bag of B+B briquettes today at Ace, with tax it’s about $.83 per pound. From time to time pre COVID, Ace would have sales for $11 per bag.

I don’t live near an academy, $9 per bag is a good deal.

I know kbb can be purchased for $.50 per pound when on sale. I’m just not a fan of kbb!

Last edited:
Picked up four bags of briquettes and a bag of oak lump at my academy today. Hopefully they can keep it on the shelves.

Last edited:
The Academy price for B&B is unbeatable, no wonder stock doesn't last long, or at least it doesn't in my local Academy. But Ace Hardware sends me coupons every month for " $5 off purchase of $20 or more " , so I buy two bags at $14 and use the coupon.

our academy is stocked well in their bbq section, pellets-lump- brics , wood etc .... I think more people are cooking at home since covid, I know I am ... the selection is so good that Im stocking up before they get depleted, I like B&B and royal oak lump and brics, also farm stores are another source to check out...

The local Ace hardware started stocking B+B a couple of years ago, then started carrying both the standard oak and hickory, added mesquite, and are now displaying something like 9 different SKUs.

How is Academy doing $9 a bag? That's crazy good! I'm in SoCal and Ace is the only way to get B&B as far as I know.

Ordered 10 bags of B&B briquettes at the end of October and I'm down to 2 bags. Hopefully Ace gets more soon!

Back