Austrian/German style smoked pork

Andrew16

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help on the above topic. Does anyone have any experience on how to use a smokey mountain to smoke Austrian/German style "schinken" I have a few recipes from one of my work colleagues. He found it from his Grandpa, and it has been passed down the line through the family. It's over 100yrs old. I'm just not sure on how to do it with the smokey mountain. Most of the farmers cure it for about 3-4 weeks, then smoke it in a smokehouse, then hang it again for another 1-2 weeks.

Does anyone have an tips or know how to do this?

Here is a link to some pictures of the meat I am talking about. Click on it and then go to images on Google.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gerä...ved=0ahUKEwjpgb6ki4nLAhXqn3IKHW-DAHQQ_AUIBigB

Thanks for any help!

Andrew

Did you find this in your search? It looks very doable and very tasty

German Spiessbraten
Method: Spit-Roasting
Advance
Preparation: None, but be sure to leave yourself at least 1-1/2 hours for spit-roasting.
Category: Meat
Ingredients:
1 boneless pork loin (about 2-1/2 pounds)
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced crosswise
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (optional)

Other Items Needed:
butchers string; a rotisserie; beech wood logs, chunks or chips (about 2 cups of the latter)

Directions:
Butterfly the pork, that is, make a lengthwise cut through one side almost to but not through the other side, holding the knife blade parallel to the cutting board. Open up the pork loin as you would a book. Using the side of a heavy cleaver, a scalloppini pounder, or a rolling pin, lightly flatten the butterflied pork.

Generously season the inside of the pork with salt and pepper. Arrange the onion slices on top of one side. Arrange the garlic, if using, on top. Fold the other side over the pork to return it to its original cylindrical shape. Using butchers string looped over crosswise, tie the roast into a tight cylinder.

Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium (350 degrees F). Toss the soaked wood chips on the coals or place in the smoker box or a smoker pouch if using a gas grill. Cook the pork until crusty and browned on the outside and the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F, about 1-1/2 hours.

Transfer the Spiessbraten to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the butchers string and carve the roast crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Admire the smoke ring. Serve with Icicle Radish Salad, if desired

Icicles Radish Salad
Ingredients:
About 1 pound of icicle radishes or red radishes
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (like sunflower oil)
1 to 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Peel the radishes and coarsely grate into a mixing bowl. (If using red radishes, do not peel.) Add the mayonnaise, oil, and vinegar and stir to mix. Add salt and pepper and additional vinegar to taste: The salad should be highly seasoned

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for this. It does sound very yummy! Although this seems like a nice cook, I am looking for something more in the direction in the link i sent above.

Still appreciate the recipe though!

Did you find this in your search? It looks very doable and very tasty

Schinken is "ham" in German, and there is various types. The long cured style is sort of like Italian Prosciutto , truly a taste sensation!
The cure and time is what differentiates the types, As for smoke, I'm pretty sure it's cold smoked, and in the Black Forest region some use a conifer instead of hardwood for a distinct regional flavor. It's all timing , temperature, and cure and that may or may not be in the recipe.
I've never made it but my Bavarian relatives have. I'd be interested in the recipes if your not bound by secrecy!,lol Good Luck

As Geo (George?) says, sure looks like prosciutto. In any case, this seems like it'll give you the product you're looking for

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1967591319633468/inwongs-Lachsschinken-geraeuchert.html Let google translate for you (wenn Sie nicht gerade ein Sprecher der deutschen)
866154-960x720-inwongs-lachsschinken-geraeuchert.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Len and Geo,

Thanks a lot for the help with this! I've also heard that they cold smoke it, but also have heard from some of the farmers here they hot smoke it. I guess my biggest question now would be, how would i setup the smokey mountain? They all seem to use smoke houses over here. I'm wondering if I use the water pan without water? Do i use coals with beech wood - or just wood? Not sure whats the best way.... hmmmmm

I was going to say it looks like a cured product. It's a pretty advanced technique I'm sure way more complex than just smoking something in the wsm. It probably is cold smoked and there are definitely ways to do that in the WSM. It probably requires some #2 cure since you are actually aging it after curing and cold smoking. With a 100 year old recipe what are they using for cure? Salt peter? Sounds like a super cool project.

From the recipe, it doesn't sound too difficult. I think the challenge is the temps and length. I don't want to go out a buy or build a smoke house just for this. I'm hoping there is a setup for the WSM to do the same. The ingredients are actually pretty normal.

Sorry, I haven't translated it yet below....

Zutaten / Ingredients (this is based on 1kg of meat - you need to increase the amounts depending on the weight of the meat)
19grams / Salz
17grams / Pökelsalz
4grams / Pfeffer grob gemahlen
5grams / Zucker
1pc / Lorbeerblatt
5grams / Wacholder
1.5pcs Knoblauch Zehen
2 / Zwiebeln

I was going to say it looks like a cured product. It's a pretty advanced technique I'm sure way more complex than just smoking something in the wsm. It probably is cold smoked and there are definitely ways to do that in the WSM. It probably requires some #2 cure since you are actually aging it after curing and cold smoking. With a 100 year old recipe what are they using for cure? Salt peter? Sounds like a super cool project.

Andrew,For the smoking I'd try to keep the temp under 120 F. 100 would be better, your just going for flavor not cooking. In a WSM use the water pan, with water, and try using a snake or fuse method of charcoal with wood chunks in the fuse, maybe 2 or 3 briquets in as long of a line as will fit, Beech is good and more traditional in Germany
Your going to have to experiment with the charcoal, and vents to keep the temp low. A very small hot "spot" in the fuse would be better then choking down a larger fire.
Don't freak out if you can't get it perfect, it will still be edible, if not "traditional"
You have to realize that making traditional cured schinken is an advanced technique and you may not be able to get the exact results your hoping for, but as long as the cure is done right you should get an acceptable product.

Well my German ain't so good, but it looks like the pokelsaltz is a nitrate/nitrite product, so probably like our # 2 instacure, that's a good thing.
Does the recipe say anything about the aging process? lot of this stuff needs a certain humidity level for varying lengths of time.

Last edited:
Well my German ain't so good, but it looks like the pokelsaltz is a nitrate/nitrite product, so probably like our # 2 instacure, that's a good thing.
Does the recipe say anything about the aging process? lot of this stuff needs a certain humidity level for varying lengths of time.

Nope. pokelsaltz is pickling salt. There is no cure being used from what I can see. Although the "old folks" may have done it that way (and I know they did), as much as I like to experiment there ain't no way I'd try doing something for that long without the #2.

I would consider this one. It references "pink salt" as #1 which is what you want.

http://germanfood.about.com/od/meatbasedrecipesandmenu/r/Smoked_pork.htm

From that site:

Authentic German Black Forest ham takes several months to make. It is cold smoked (low temperatures) and then air dried. While that is best done by professionals, we amateurs can use some of the same tricks to mimic the taste and appeal of this Schinken.

This sounds EXACTLY what your are trying to do (and what is suggested NOT to do). Your choice.

Last edited:
Well, it has plain salt mentioned also, among other things I didn't try to translate, the one quick search on pokelsaltz I did, alluded to a nitrate based ingredient, but I may have misinterpreted that.
If it doesn't use #2 cure or equivalent, then I think I'd find a recipe that does.

Well, it has plain salt mentioned also, among other things I didn't try to translate, the one quick search on pokelsaltz I did, alluded to a nitrate based ingredient, but I may have misinterpreted that.
If it doesn't use #2 cure or equivalent, then I think I'd find a recipe that does.

Verry confusing. First source I found said just pickling salt. Then I found another that said .6% nitrite. THEN a third site that has a mix

http://kiernans.ie/pokelsalz-cover-pickle.html

I have no idea which one is which. If it wasn't for intervening threads, I'd delete all my posts in this thread. Confusing.

Hi all,

Wow, thanks for all the help and research so far on this topic! I think what I'll do is give the recipe that I have a try, take notes, and try improve with some of the tips you guys have provided on here already. I don't think I'll get it first time around, but that's the whole fun in it. :) I was really not sure how to setup the WSM, but thanks to Geo, I think I will give the snake a try. Seems like this could be the best setup.

Thanks all!

Back