Are you the best?

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
I'm just wondering....are you the best bbqer/smoker that you know of?

If you entered comps....are you pretty sure you would win? If you are in comps...do you lose because "judges don't know what they are talking about." Or because of some other entity?

Last edited:
I like to think that I'm a smoker under construction. I'm only doing it a short time and have had some excellent results, much of which has come about from advice and tips I learned here. So I'm not the best, YET :wsm:

Last edited:
I think I'm the best amongst people that I know in person but occasionally I've gotten schooled. I had a relative smoke a turkey in a masterbuilt that blew mine out of the water. There is always more to learn.

I think I'd get destroyed in comps because I'm trying to emulate Texas style BBQ right now and haven't learned enough about things like complex rubs or injection. Someday I'll probably go down that road.

If I'm better than people I know it's because of the things I've learned from people on these forums which is a fantastic resource. We have a great advantage have the knowledge handed to us that others had to learn by trial and error.

I used to think I was decent, then I was able to attend a BBQ class from Harry Soo, in which we ate a ton of his food. Those guys are at a whole new level.

I know at least one person that greatly exceeds my abilities as well as many other people's abilities.
It's cool, he is a great guy as well as a great cook.

You're darn right I am! :cool:

Of course that only applies to pulled pork, brisket, ribs, smoked turkey and chicken. I'm guessing that there might be something else where that may not apply. :)

I do make the best that I've tasted, as I've geared by rubs and sauces toward my wife's and my tastes. I probably would not win any comps as I do not like the sickly sweet BBQ that seems to be prevalent in competition BBQ

Absolutely not. I enjoy cooking outside and I have created some good food. ...but I don't believe I am the best.

I'm better than any restaurant in my area and there's never a shortage of family at my house when I'm cooking. That's good enough for me.

"I may not be the best, but the best don't mess with me"...:rolleyes:

Right now, for me, it's just "all talk" as we got another 3" of snow last night along with freezing rain, etc. This next week looks like the pits, too. Compared with other places across this great country our weather is not too terribly bad, I guess, but it's sure bad enough to keep me away from my grills and smokers. I cannot wait until spring...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

SWMBO says my pulled pork and brisket is better than any she has had (including restaurants). Any my friends say the same when I cook for them. That said, they are friends and family. I am a work in progress and thanks to those on this forum, I am getting better. I don't think I will ever compete but it just makes me happy to cook at home and enjoy the results and learn from my mistakes (and there are enough of those unfortunately) Then why do we do it? Simple, it is fun!!

I'm just posting to say I shouldn't be posting in this forum...:confused:

I'm still working hard just to get to "good"...but at least everything has been edible (to this point)! And it's still fun!! :wsm:

I'm a genius in my own mind !! I get better results every time I smoke or grill given the compliments that I receive due to the excellent advice from all the good people on this forum.

Back