Are the FAB injectible meat enhancers worth buying?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I have been reading about the meat enhancers called FAB (and other brands too). Can anybody tell me about these injectables? Naturally, the webpage selling them says they are the greatest thing possible for smoking meats. But are they? If they are, I'm in, but if they are not, I'd rather save my money, as they are expensive as is the freight.

I would think that we have a lot of people here who make their own injectables. Maybe it's better that I ask you what you use to inject your brisket?

Last edited:
Think that I might prefer to just enhance mine with smoke, brine or seasoning, seems more like natural bbq that way to me.

While I have no (well, not much) issue with MSG, look where it ranks in their ingredient list (none in their FAB FREE); bolding is mine:

FAB B
Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, sodium phosphates,
mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.
FAB B Lite
Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and peanut oils,, sodium phosphates,
mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.
FAB C
Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and peanut oils, sodium phosphates,
FAB P
Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, sodium phosphates,
FAB free
Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, sodium phosphates, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.*

MINE-->and as far as the disodium inosinate goes, it is always combined with MSG (useless on its own) and I did find this:

Some possible negative health effects and/or animal studies showing negative effects. Some controversy surrounding the safety of the additive. Best avoided.

I think Bob has it bang on: get your flavour the old fashioned "natural" way.

IF you want to get some "natural" enhancer (I use this when making "mixed" recipes--not in a roast but where the ingredients are mixed/combined then cooked), try this:

MAGIC MUSHROOM POWDER

INGREDIENTS
Makes about 4 cups — fills 12 (2.7-ounce) jars

Ingredients:

3 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Add all the ingredients to a clean spice grinder or food processor and pulse/process until they’re ground into a fine powder.
Store in an airtight container, where it will keep for several months. IT MAKES A LOT SO CUT THE RECIPE DOWN TO SUIT YOU.

Notes
Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder

Like that lady says (about Franks Hot Sauce): "I put that $%#& on everything". Use judiciously as it is heavy in the salt dept.

Last edited:
I agree with Bob and Len. A quality piece of meat that's seasoned well and lovingly smoked with care doesn't need all those enhancers, if you can call them that.

While I have no (well, not much) issue with MSG, look where it ranks in their ingredient list (none in their FAB FREE); bolding is mine:

I think Bob has it bang on: get your flavour the old fashioned "natural" way.

IF you want to get some "natural" enhancer (I use this when making "mixed" recipes--not in a roast but where the ingredients are mixed/combined then cooked), try this:

Like that lady says (about Franks Hot Sauce: "I put that $%#& on everything". Use judiciously as it is heavy in the salt dept.

Len, do you say You inject the Magic Mushroom Powder???
If yes can You share quantities / ratio??

I have always just used rub and then smoked, but I have been reading about injecting beef roasts and brisket... especially brisket. That is where I would use an injectible. I'm no fan of MSG either and saw that FAB has a MSG free product.

With what are you injecting brisket?

Len, do you say You inject the Magic Mushroom Powder???
If yes can You share quantities / ratio??

No, I said I don't use it in roasts (brisket not a roast IMO although it surely is). I would use the powder in stuff like hamburgers and such.

I read that you should use it as you would salt (a sprinkle here, a sprinkle there--on eggs--fried, devilled, etc is good too). I try not to use salt in my rubs and this is quite heavy in the salt dept. so I use it sparingly. But a little goes a long way.

edit-->you probably could inject (after you process it, it is REALLY fine so would pass through a needle really easily) depending on the other stuff in your injection liquid.

If there's salt in it, just sub this directly for that salt component.

I usually just use packaged beef bouillon so as there's (too much) salt in that, I doubt you'd want to add this to that.

I find that you can't really taste this as a separate component (you would if you use too much--salt, remember) but it just adds that "umami" to the food. It's just like our rubs: a little of this, a little of that. You can taste the 'blended' components as a complex flavour BUT you know if it's not there.

second edit-->I would cut that recipe down by 2/3 or so. I did and it still lasts a long time.

Last edited:
I assume the point is for competiton. You want the phosphates and what not to keep the meat from drying out waiting to be judged. I'd absolutely use it for that purpose. I wouldn't use it for my backyard cooks where I can control how long the meat sits.

Dustin,
Not competition, just for my backyard cooks... but I'd like my brisket to be moist and flavorful - so I'm thinking 'injecting'.

Have not tried FAB, yet. After taking Harry's class, I used his 'suggested' class injection. Then switched to Butchers, both their Brisket Injection and their Prime Dust Injection. Good stuff. I doubt one could win a pro contest without some form of injection that increases water retention and adds the unami flavor aspect. Over the top, most certainly... but that's what's needed to win.

My self... I trust my butcher ;)

I doubt one could win a pro contest without some form of injection that increases water retention and adds the unami flavor aspect. Over the top, most certainly... but that's what's needed to win.

Bob, Do those types of injections add a lot of unusual or fake flavor to the meat?

Not unusual, they increase the flavor / essence of the particular meat (if you will)... as long as the injection matches the meat type... of course ;)

Might I suggest trying a with and without... a side by side test.

Roger... One thing to remember, we judges basically use a single bite to determine that sample's score. Competitor's amp up the sample's flavor way above what you (and everyone else) would normally eat during a typical BBQ meal.

Roger... One thing to remember, we judges basically use a single bite to determine that sample's score. Competitor's amp up the sample's flavor way above what you (and everyone else) would normally eat during a typical BBQ meal.

Bob, In a competition where the judges only take one bite, is one thing - but with all the chemicals these injectables have, do they make the meat taste strange, after the first few bites or do people have any ill side effects after eating a dinner's worth of the meat smoked with these things??

No, they do not make the meat taste strange. Next time you go shopping, check some can labels. The contents of most of the injections are commonly found in our everyday processed foods.
Yes, some people can have a negative response to additives such as MSG. My wife is one of them. And she's also a judge :)

Bob, Do you use a brine on your brisket? If yes, what type?
No brine for brisket, mostly for chickens or turkey's. Think of it this way,
if our ancestors from the beginnings of BBQ saw all of the "enhancers", and temperature controllers, and "accessories" used for BBQ today they would be laughing their
"butts" off at us.

If I mix up my own injection (beef broth, rub, etc) should I add olive oil to my recipe to add more fat into the meat?

I don't believe olive oil would add to any additional 'beefy' flavor to the beef.
Another excellent ingredient are concentrated flavors (bases) such as those found in at the Soupbase dot com site.

Back