April brisket

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
Oh boy it is such a beautiful day.
This cook started 5:00pm, Saturday.
WSM has been running for about an hour empty @ 225 when a $1.97/lb Walmart brisket seasoned with SPOG went in fat cap up.
Using 15# of KBB and nectarine smoking wood (I got for Christmas).
Center Minion method started with one starter cube for the fire.

Brisket 04-03-2016 1 by chashint1, on Flickr

Made a couple of small adjustments to the intake vent (one open ~1/4, two closed) over the next couple hours and the cooker settled in around 230.

At 5:00am Sunday I woke up and the WSM was running at 228, the brisket was 183.
At 7:00am the WSM had dropped to 217 and the brisket was still 183.

Opened one intake full open.
Temperature only got up to 250 and the brisket was stuck at 183, decided to open all vents 100% to see if there was still fuel and the temp rose slowly to 285.
The brisket responded (of course) and was pulled around 9:30 when a probe met little resistance, brisket temp was 199.

Brisket 04-03-2016 2 by chashint1, on Flickr\

It looks and feels like it is going to be a pretty good one.
Here it is resting on the counter before going into the cooler to hold.

Brisket 04-03-2016 3 by chashint1, on Flickr\

The dogbert says "That brisket don't need no stinking rest, let's eat it now".

Pepper 04-03-2016 1 by chashint1, on Flickr

I don't know if there will be sliced pics or not since we eat like a pack of wild animals around here.

Charles, brisket looks super form here and Im very very curious to see some slicing action and bent test too!
Complimenti.

Awesome! Hoping mine comes out half a good. I'm struggling with temp. It's still windy and I have all vents open and LOADED with KBB, but mine doesn't want to go much above 300.

Awesome Brisket, looks mighty tasty from here and I do like that cart you have it on.

A thing of beauty Charles. I believe you have inspired me for my next smoke.

The Mrs. and I are to start our diets next Monday the 18th of April. So this is going to be my "final supper" if you will. I just hope it comes out half as good as yours did.

Pretty nice looking brisket - overcooked or not. I like your WSM cart too!

Back