Apple Pie #WSCG

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
All, I took a crack at using my WSCG to cook an apple pie. One item of note is that I used Fogo lump for this cook, as I wanted to ensure a clean burn with no off flavors. The taste turned out great, just like apple pie should.

image_zpslhznoe0o.jpeg

Just getting started.

image_zps7biv5lgy.jpeg

image_zps2f3yiy7g.jpeg

image_zpsg3oq8mqc.jpeg

Finished product turned out very good.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks. I thought I should supply a little more info about the cook.

Ah yes, the apple pie recipe. It was pretty straight forward, as we "cheated" and used Pillsbury's pre made pie crust. We filled it with 7 grannies smith apples (peeled and sliced). Added 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tbls of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of allspice. Brushed the crust with some cream and placed it on the WSCG at 325 for about 75 min. Not the best apple pie recipe I have had, but it was simple and good.

Cooking the pie was easy on the WSCG. As I said I used Fogo lump charcoal for the first time. I placed the charcoal grate on the lower level and added the diffuser plate. I cranked the temp up to 325, but it over shot to 360. I brought it back down to 310 where it stayed for about an hour +/- 3 degrees. After 45 min, I realized I needed to jack up the temp, so made a slight adjustment to the top vent and brought it up to 350, where it stayed for the last 20 min +/- 3 degrees.

I frequent another barbeque forum and some posters there complain about temp control with their WSCG. You certainly have mastered temp control with your grill, the pie looks like you and the grill cooked it to perfection, no burnt crust. I can only imagine the taste of your pie. Great job!!

Tom,

Thanks! I found it took me a while to understand the temp control on the WSCG, primarily because I was expecting it to behave like a WSM or a kettle, but it's a different beast. After a few uses I learned two things. first it takes a while to settle in on the initial temperature, like 20 min. Second, once it settles in it will stay steady (+/-3 f) until it runs out of fuel, or the ash sweep needs to be actuated to clear the ash from blocking the airflow. Once I understood these two things, I spent an afternoon working the vents to dial in different temperatures. Now I know where I need to set my vents to achieve almost any temperature. These settings are pretty constant, meaning you can pretty much count on the vent settings to always produce the same internal temp. It does change when you use different charcoals and it also might change slightly going from summer to winter cooking (I have yet to see). The changes are shuttle, however and can be easily adapted to by a slight change in the top vent.

So I have read some of thoes other post of frustration, and I offer advice when I see it. In the end I think many of the issues revolve around someone trying to run the WSCG like a kettle and then getting frustrated when it doesn't perform like a kettle.

The pie looks great. How did it taste? Does if have the smoked flavor? I would ask if it had a smoke ring, but that would be expecting too much - LOL.

No, no noticeable smoke flavor, which was the goal. I cooked over clean bipurning lump and didn't put it on the WSCG until there was no noticeable smoke.

Back