Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

Our Breville Smart Grinder is showing significant signs of giving up the ghost. Looks like the transmission gears between the motor and the burrs are beginning to strip teeth, and it's buried down somewhere that I can't see. Just ordered the Shardo to have sitting on the shelf when the Breville finally let's all of its magic smoke out.
How long have you had the Breville? They are always very well rated.

Yeah, I always hear such great things about Breville. But, perhaps they're like OXO. Nicely designed but poorly built

How long have you had the Breville? They are always very well rated.
We were talking about that last night. It's close to 10 years. @LMichaels, I was rather surprised when I started taking it apart yesterday at how clean it was internally aside from where the coffee travels. I don't think that I'd call it poorly built, but it's definitely not designed for repair. We'd killed 2 Cuisinart burr grinders in less than a year prior to buying the Breville. Yes, the Breville was expensive, but it's sure paid off handsomely compared to the Cuisinart models.

We were talking about that last night. It's close to 10 years. @LMichaels, I was rather surprised when I started taking it apart yesterday at how clean it was internally aside from where the coffee travels. I don't think that I'd call it poorly built, but it's definitely not designed for repair. We'd killed 2 Cuisinart burr grinders in less than a year prior to buying the Breville. Yes, the Breville was expensive, but it's sure paid off handsomely compared to the Cuisinart models.
Breville is a big company...Australian I believe. They also own Baratza and several other brands in Europe.

Since I bought the Moccamaster, we've been weighing out the grounds. Unfortunately, for 100 grams, the timing with the Breville is rather more variable than I'd like, even using the same beans. Plan is to run the Breville until it dies, then run the Shardo.

Yes, they are Australian. Just after 2 tries with OXO (one for their higher end brewer and now the failed grinder) kind of got a bad taste. I had also bought this Japanese brewer from Zojirsuhi and it was a well built, well designed brewer with one huge flaw for me. I don't like the coffee as much from basket style brewers as much as conical brewers. Sadly unless you always make a full on pot with full load of grounds coffee ends up kind of weak and acidic. If it was a conical brewer I would have kept that one. We really liked it and the carafe was great on it as well. Since that is one of the main businesses of Zojirushi. Same holds true for the Bunn brewer. Basket type again. MEH

Yep, I could keep my coffee drinkably "hot" for many hours in that Zojirushi. Just wish it brewed a better cup. Weird thing too, the OXO Barrista Brain actually made a slightly better brew than even the Moccamaster. It had a more well designed spray head. which was better at saturating the grounds without making a "washout" like the Moccamaster does

Just catching up on the thread and see all the dark/french roast love posts. For contrast, this is the roast of one of my favorite coffees - Ethiopian that I made this morning. Incredible fruit, cherry, plum flavor in the coffee. I don't mind a nice rich dark coffee, but if I had a choice...

View attachment 77448
We like the Ethiopian bean light roast for the very same points you list.

I've tried some of the better lighter to med roasts they just don't really do it for me. I don't like a "burnt" aroma/flavor but I want some "meat" in it :D

Just catching up on the thread and see all the dark/french roast love posts. For contrast, this is the roast of one of my favorite coffees - Ethiopian that I made this morning. Incredible fruit, cherry, plum flavor in the coffee. I don't mind a nice rich dark coffee, but if I had a choice...

View attachment 77448
Would love to to try a similar roast, but unless I trek to a specialty roaster, medium a and dark roasts are the prevalent ones in both grocery stores and Costco.

Would love to to try a similar roast, but unless I trek to a specialty roaster, medium a and dark roasts are the prevalent ones in both grocery stores and Costco.
Yeah, you will rarely see a light roast away from a specialty roaster as they are more difficult to do correctly (and also more expensive). Typically, they are also the best quality beans as well and you want to grind and drink within a couple weeks of roasting date. A good light roast brings out all the acidity, fruit etc in a bean but doesn't leave in any grassy, under-roasted flavor.

It's easy to roast coffee dark - it covers up lower quality beans and far less skill involved. i.e. Starbucks and large, bulk operations.

So I am unsure if it's due to how I am using it or a defect in the unit, but the E1 code is becoming a little more frequent. You can even hear Lilly calling to me LOL, in this video
So I think I am going to order the larger and more powerful unit from Shardor which has a 165 Watt DC motor as opposed to the 145 one in the the original I bought. Maybe dark roasted beans are harder on the machines? Given how I killed the OXO it pretty short order. Also since I like espresso and have been toying with the idea of getting a unit, this one is more suited toward that as well and has hardened SS burrs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVTP8HWP/?tag=tvwb-20
So we shall see. I have some Amazon points and such so might as well use them.

Very interesting thread, and a good read. Here are our coffee habits, if it can be called that:
We purchase all our coffee from these 2 places (for many years now). We like medium roasts and light roasts. 60oz water to about 100g of beans...depends on the bean, we use a scale every morning and each coffee can has the weight we like written each:
Gear we use currently:
Used one of these KitchenAid before the Baratza for 6 years (3 years now on the Baraza), ground 100's of lbs with the KitchenAid. Still have it as a backup, can't kill the thing (noisy as all get-out, while the Baratza sounds like an electric pencil sharpener when going).
Used a Braun KF 157 and Bonavita 1800 also for many years. Loved these too, and still have them as well. During the day we hit a Nespresso machine too.

So I am unsure if it's due to how I am using it or a defect in the unit, but the E1 code is becoming a little more frequent. You can even hear Lilly calling to me LOL, in this video
So I think I am going to order the larger and more powerful unit from Shardor which has a 165 Watt DC motor as opposed to the 145 one in the the original I bought. Maybe dark roasted beans are harder on the machines? Given how I killed the OXO it pretty short order. Also since I like espresso and have been toying with the idea of getting a unit, this one is more suited toward that as well and has hardened SS burrs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVpTP8HWP/?tag=tvwb-20
So we shall see. I have some Amazon points and such so might as well use them.
From everything I've read, the game changes considerably when you add espresso level grind into the mix. But again, newer grinders that are on Amazon aren't rated or compared by the coffee nerd community...yet.
So you're covering new turf by going strictly off Amazon reviews.
I think there are plenty of good machines on Amazon that don't have the name recognition the older more familiar brands do.
It's strictly drip brewing for us so I've not ventured down the espresso path. If I were to do so, I'd be inclined to get one of those super-automatics.

Back