Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

Except the issue is not happening from me grinding espresso but espresso level "roast" or darker up to French roast. As I find espresso roasts even a little too "light" for my tastes. I know the darker roasts bring more oils out in the beans and I wonder if that is harder on a grinder?
Also my grinding habits may come into play. I like to grind about 2 or 3 days worth at a time and store in airtight container. IOW I only grind 2 or 3X per week.

Larry,
This is what I use and I really like it.
It was like under $70 on Amazon.
It came with 2 different grinding cups.
I dedicated the 4 bladed cup for spices .
It works great for things like corse ground pepper and things like that.
I think the fine setting would work good for espresso.
Just dail in your grind spec and push the button and it will turn off when it’s done.
No need to sit there and hold the button.

Attachments

• 6C4A6E1B-9B1C-44DA-92E3-4F78B64F9B5C.jpeg
    6C4A6E1B-9B1C-44DA-92E3-4F78B64F9B5C.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 10
Larry,
This is what I use and I really like it.
It was like under $70 on Amazon.
It came with 2 different grinding cups.
I dedicated the 4 bladed cup for spices .
It works great for things like corse ground pepper and things like that.
I think the fine setting would work good for espresso.
Just dail in your grind spec and push the button and it will turn off when it’s done.
No need to sit there and hold the button.
A blade grinder? Just no.

So the new grinder came today. It's a little bigger and heavier. Can hear a definite difference in the motor. I think it may run at slightly higher speed due to the 165W power rating vs 145W on the first one. Statice control is still great but not as great as the smaller one. Will report as used more. It also has higher capacity, comes with 2 attachments for you espresso guys to put coffee right into your compression thing (no clue what it's called.

Anyone out there actually measured the temperature of their coffee during/after it's being brewed? Mine (OXO Brew-8) goes into a vacuum carafe which I preheat as much as I can with my hot tap water. I think the temp of the coffee in the carafe right after brewing is right around 180. Anyone this OCD about things? Unfortunately, I still like my coffee REALLY hot so I still tend to nuke it a little or make it really strong, then add boiler water from my espresso machine (which is above boiling).

So the new grinder came today. It's a little bigger and heavier. Can hear a definite difference in the motor. I think it may run at slightly higher speed due to the 165W power rating vs 145W on the first one. Statice control is still great but not as great as the smaller one. Will report as used more. It also has higher capacity, comes with 2 attachments for you espresso guys to put coffee right into your compression thing (no clue what it's called.

Espresso machine grinds holder/cup/handle is a portafilter. Curious as to how this grinder works out...keep us updated for sure.

I actually have measured in both the OXO Barista Brain and the MoccaMaster. The OXO brewed at right around 200 but took a bit to get there, the Moccamaster jumps right up to the 200 area and stays there

I actually have measured in both the OXO Barista Brain and the MoccaMaster. The OXO brewed at right around 200 but took a bit to get there, the Moccamaster jumps right up to the 200 area and stays there
Mine is close to 200 as well when measured in the grounds as it is brewing. I was also wondering about carafe temp...dropping to about 180 when in the carafe.

I don't know of any way to keep carafe temp from dropping. There is the function of evaporation, the water dripping slowly and being a little exposed to air, etc.

I don't know of any way to keep carafe temp from dropping. There is the function of evaporation, the water dripping slowly and being a little exposed to air, etc.
I guess you could boil water and pour it in the carafe and let it sit for a few minutes just before you brew...but that's a hassle I'll do without. I find filling. It with hot tap water works pretty well.

Last edited:
Well, I've only used the new grinder twice. It's hard to figure they're both from the same company. A couple things stand out. 1, the larger one is a little louder but a little "faster" than the smaller one. Even though burrs are same size and look very similar. They both give a similar quality grind. At least to my tastes with my Moccamaster. If you have a fancy Espresso maker or a large French press not sure what you would think of either since I have neither of those items.
Re, convenience. The larger unit is not so large to make it inconvenient. Size is not obtrusive. Fits easily where you place it. Build quality seems very good with both.
Static control. Not as good with the larger unit. I think this is a function of the more powerful motor (what sounds like faster speed) and quite a bit faster grind from whole bean to grounds. Still FAR better than any grinder I have ever had or used (even the OXO), but not as good as it's little brother.
So, despite the higher capacity, faster throughput, solid build and so on. I think (at least after my initial 2 uses), I liked the first unit the best. It seemed to hit a "sweet spot" for all the things you really want a home grinder to do.
That being said this large one is not a brad grinder. But, jury is out if it will be my new "driver" or if I repurchase the smaller and return this

Well, I've only used the new grinder twice. It's hard to figure they're both from the same company. A couple things stand out. 1, the larger one is a little louder but a little "faster" than the smaller one. Even though burrs are same size and look very similar. They both give a similar quality grind. At least to my tastes with my Moccamaster. If you have a fancy Espresso maker or a large French press not sure what you would think of either since I have neither of those items.
Re, convenience. The larger unit is not so large to make it inconvenient. Size is not obtrusive. Fits easily where you place it. Build quality seems very good with both.
Static control. Not as good with the larger unit. I think this is a function of the more powerful motor (what sounds like faster speed) and quite a bit faster grind from whole bean to grounds. Still FAR better than any grinder I have ever had or used (even the OXO), but not as good as it's little brother.
So, despite the higher capacity, faster throughput, solid build and so on. I think (at least after my initial 2 uses), I liked the first unit the best. It seemed to hit a "sweet spot" for all the things you really want a home grinder to do.
That being said this large one is not a brad grinder. But, jury is out if it will be my new "driver" or if I repurchase the smaller and return this
The main concern I have with some of these newer brands and models is the touch screen and LED controls. Yes it looks cool but does it not require a motherboard and associated electronics? Seems that's a problem waiting to happen for an appliance that grinds beans.

The main concern I have with some of these newer brands and models is the touch screen and LED controls. Yes it looks cool but does it not require a motherboard and associated electronics? Seems that's a problem waiting to happen for an appliance that grinds beans.
I hope it will not be a problem as I have been fixing Mr. Coffee makers for a long time and the LCD board has not been the issue. I expect gears or other issues first. If it does go out, I would think it would not be too hard to wire in a simple toggle switch which I would be OK with.

Yeah, could be. But I figure it this way. On something as cheap as this, and with a 2 year warranty no less. It's a "meh" concern to me. And if it lasts 2 years and electronics crap out, it's a tossaway anyway

I agree with this 100%. Commercial appliances typically don't have as many touch screen LCD controls.

I accidentally set some nachos ablaze with my oven broiler the other week and the heat from pulling them out made my LCD/touch panel permanently wavy. I prefer knobs.

Back