Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

So as title suggests. I am thinking about replacing my old KitchenAid grinder (static machine) with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSKGLMM/?tag=tvwb-20 Anyone else using it? Thoughts?
Yes.
I've owned one for over a year now and use it every day. It does a fine job. I drink pour-over coffee, in a Chemex, and set the grind on 10.
With really oily beans, you need to tap on the top of it sometimes, so the chute doesn't clog, but not too often. It's solid and easy to clean too.

Yes.
I've owned one for over a year now and use it every day. It does a fine job. I drink pour-over coffee, in a Chemex, and set the grind on 10.
With really oily beans, you need to tap on the top of it sometimes, so the chute doesn't clog, but not too often. It's solid and easy to clean too.
Great! Thanks for the heads up.

So as title suggests. I am thinking about replacing my old KitchenAid grinder (static machine) with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSKGLMM/?tag=tvwb-20 Anyone else using it? Thoughts?
We bought this in September. It took adjusting for us to adjust to our desired brew. Since that, it has been great! Note, coffee dust will cause frustration, but just take your wife's or husband's toothbrush and clean it out! It comes apart easily.

We bought this in September. It took adjusting for us to adjust to our desired brew. Since that, it has been great! Note, coffee dust will cause frustration, but just take your wife's or husband's toothbrush and clean it out! It comes apart easily.
Weird. One of the reasons I wanted this one is due to all the tests noting that static cling is not as bothersome. I know with our KitchenAid grinder static is absolutely miserable. To the point nothing you do can prevent it shooting coffee dust out all over the counter for a 2' diameter, coffee sticks in everything. So static and "cling" are the reasons I decided to buy it

Weird. One of the reasons I wanted this one is due to all the tests noting that static cling is not as bothersome. I know with our KitchenAid grinder static is absolutely miserable. To the point nothing you do can prevent it shooting coffee dust out all over the counter for a 2' diameter, coffee sticks in everything. So static and "cling" are the reasons I decided to buy it
my own experience is that ALL grinders, burr and blade, generate the static cling experience. if that's you're sole motivator to switch, then i'd reconsider the switch.

my own experience is that ALL grinders, burr and blade, generate the static cling experience. if that's you're sole motivator to switch, then i'd reconsider the switch.
too late. already purchased. all the testing shows it's not an issue with this one though because it has static mitigation of sorts with the grounded stainless steel catch cup.

A tip I was given from someone here on the forum was to stir in a few drops of water on the beans just before grinding.

I weigh the beans, splash a little water on them, stir, dump in the grinder, grind. it's much better.

I’ve got a Cuisinart and don’t have a lot of static problems with it. This is my second one, I fried the first one through pure negligence. Never broke it down and knocked old caked stuff out of it, my own damned fault!

A tip I was given from someone here on the forum was to stir in a few drops of water on the beans just before grinding.

I weigh the beans, splash a little water on them, stir, dump in the grinder, grind. it's much better.
Yes my son in law gave me that tip. Didn't work. With all that glass and the high speed burrs the KA is a static machine. Could likely light up our whole block with the static it produces LOL. Also the noise is incredible from the KA. Has a REALLY loud high pitched whistle like a turbo charger run amok. So I have been living with noise, static and the fear of breaking the glass for about 17 years. So I think it was time. I actually found another one (OXO) for $15 (for parts), the one I am getting is brand new and found it for only $60. Not bad considering I almost bought a used one today for $50!
I figure almost anything has to be better from a static point.

We are babysitting our granddaughter at our daughter and son-in-law's house while they take a four day getaway in Jamaica. I used this grinder this AM for the first time coincidentally. I like it. Never used it before and I like my Baratza Encore and Moccamaster gear but it did a great job. 30 seconds and I had the perfect grind and amount for a full pot of coffee.

Static
Run a spoon under water and stir the beans in the hopper a few turns...no static issue. Works with every grinder I've used.

Last edited:
Yeah no luck for me with the spoon trick. I even tried a small spray spritzer. Stuff still shoots all over the counter. Apparently OXO designed in some form of static mitigation. Even if not full effective it's gotta be better than my high voltage machine, It should get here by the next time I have to grind beans so we'll see

??
What is this "coffee dust" you speak of?

Hey so the OXO came today. Ground some Coffee to be ready for the AM tomorrow. Nice grinder. Love how quiet compared to the KitchenAid which you need hearing protection to run. Seems to grind a touch finer at medium than the KA does but really pleased and love that you can grind and not have coffee shooting out all over the counter due to static. I think I am gonna enjoy this thing

Hey so the OXO came today. Ground some Coffee to be ready for the AM tomorrow. Nice grinder. Love how quiet compared to the KitchenAid which you need hearing protection to run. Seems to grind a touch finer at medium than the KA does but really pleased and love that you can grind and not have coffee shooting out all over the counter due to static. I think I am gonna enjoy this thing
My Baratza Encore is loud. They're kind of known for it but it's just two dogs and me down there at 0630hrs. and the coffee is worth the noise. Besides, my hearing isn't the best from my years as a cop and surfing NJ in the winter most of my life(Surfer's Ear...it's a condition), so a loud coffee grinder, well, it's not as loud to me.

That KitchenAid sets up a "whistle" I think caused by a harmonic in the AC to DC converter and the PWM motor speed control. And it is deafening. So the quiet of this OXO is refreshing. The grind on what I did as noted seemed a little "finer" as a medium but that is easily accounted for. The quality of the grind though is excellent to my eyes

So, just did another grind experiment. In comparison to the KA grinder. BTW the KA is a flat burr grinder the OXO a conical burr grinder. I see some people mentioning how a flat burr grinder is "better" and more consistent. I really don't see it. Medium on the OXO is a bit finer than medium on the KA. But, to my eye it's far more consistent, it's faster, and way less "fines" and dust than I saw with the KA grinder.
So at this point I am seeing a lot to like here on the OXO, but there are some things quite noticeable. Even though both are made in China the KA is FAR more of a "substantial" piece of equipment. Built very robustly with a very large and strong motor, strong casting and frame. Like the mixers I think it will likely outlast a couple of lifetimes.
But, the OXO while seemingly much less robustly built, it cannot be argued. To my eye(s), tastebuds and overall performance criteria seems to do a far better job, with much less noise, mess and fuss. Not to mention the catch bin and bean container are not glass. This is a HUGE advantage. As that glass grounds container is shaped so it can slip out of your hands faster than you can say "oh s&*T!"
I am hoping it will hold up well in terms of durability

So, just did another grind experiment. In comparison to the KA grinder. BTW the KA is a flat burr grinder the OXO a conical burr grinder. I see some people mentioning how a flat burr grinder is "better" and more consistent. I really don't see it. Medium on the OXO is a bit finer than medium on the KA. But, to my eye it's far more consistent, it's faster, and way less "fines" and dust than I saw with the KA grinder.
So at this point I am seeing a lot to like here on the OXO, but there are some things quite noticeable. Even though both are made in China the KA is FAR more of a "substantial" piece of equipment. Built very robustly with a very large and strong motor, strong casting and frame. Like the mixers I think it will likely outlast a couple of lifetimes.
But, the OXO while seemingly much less robustly built, it cannot be argued. To my eye(s), tastebuds and overall performance criteria seems to do a far better job, with much less noise, mess and fuss. Not to mention the catch bin and bean container are not glass. This is a HUGE advantage. As that glass grounds container is shaped so it can slip out of your hands faster than you can say "oh s&*T!"
I am hoping it will hold up well in terms of durability
I'm not sure there is much science behind the claims stating the flat burr being better than the conical burr. I'm pretty sure there's a bit of opinion from self-annointed coffee gurus. Seems most of the well reviewed home use grinders are conical burr. So there's that.
Both of mine are conical and they do an excellent job of consistently grinding to that medium course grind. They both are easier to clean than the flat burr grinders I had. No tools but a small brush. The flat burr grinders required removing two screws and the plate covering the grind mechanism housing, pulling out the one burr and a shear pin.

The Oxo was a good decision.

The grinder has the biggest influence on the taste of your coffee other than the beans. There's a good reason experts say most of your coffee budget should be spent on your grinder. Quality grinders...... That produce narrow , repeatable size distributions..... Are not cheap. They also will usually not be found among your general department store type consumer products brands . They all produce different tastes as well, depending on their grind distribution.

Back