Anyone have the Crate & Barrel Slate Blue Performer?

I'm not sure any of the stores stock them. Ours says it would ship to the store by mid August. I would like to see one in person before buying.
Last fall I was doing a cook on my black performer that has been upgraded with new bale and metal table, and while I was waiting for it to heat up I checked out CL and low and behold there was a slate blue 2017 C&B for sale in Casa Grande on the south side of Phoenix. He wanted 250. I contacted him and before my charcoal was ready I made a deal for this grill for 225. And he even cleaned it up. I could not beleive my luck .

Last fall I was doing a cook on my black performer that has been upgraded with new bale and metal table, and while I was waiting for it to heat up I checked out CL and low and behold there was a slate blue 2017 C&B for sale in Casa Grande on the south side of Phoenix. He wanted 250. I contacted him and before my charcoal was ready I made a deal for this grill for 225. And he even cleaned it up. I could not beleive my luck .
Would like to see photos of that grill. 👍

Looks like a matt finish, like Crimson kettles. I wonder if Weber did that on purpose, or is it just the way the finish cures.

Bob,
I really doubt the Slate blue Performer is made any differently or in a different factory than the Crimson, Green or other colored kettles. So in terms of durability, I wouldn't worry about that.

I love the color. If you do to, then buy yourself one.

The newer gen models do sit a little higher and that is nice. I have owned all of the gens and prefer the older SS table Performers, but I did install 13" wheels on mine to lift it up. I'm also 6'2" and the original height of the SSP are way too low.

The new ash pan might be more difficult for you to use. I like the older turn style ones. Good news is, if you buy the new Performer and end up not liking the new squeeze style, then you can just swap over the older style from your deep blue grill.

Have you tried taking a bottle brush and sticking it down the burner tube on your old Performer? It's likely that your igniter still works, might just be dusty of have some ashes or cobwebs down there. Just remove the fitting that holds on the propane black tubing to your burner tube....flat head prys it off....then stick bottle brush down there, blow out with some air and you should be ready to go.

The center piece on the GBS grate won't fall off when you lift it up if you fold the top flap down. The folded flap keeps in place.

Post some picture when you get the new one!

I've tried blowing the tube out, I'll give the brush a try. Thanks for the tip.
I'm going to try the bottle brush thing because my ignitor quite working that I replaced last year. Of course the performer usually sits for long periods of time so the brush thing may fix the problem...hopefully.

Looks like a matt finish, like Crimson kettles. I wonder if Weber did that on purpose, or is it just the way the finish cures.
The lower shine finish is what I like, it is easier on the eye, and does not show minor scratches like a high shine finish does.

Bob, I don't know anything about performers or the finish but I do have a slate Smokey Joe.
If I understood correctly in all the back and forth above, you have not seen the color in person?

I ordered the slate SJ from Weber, so not sure if it's exactly the same as C&B - but I was surprised when
it arrived. I was expecting a color similar to your first pic and here is what I got.
I wouldn't call it blue - I think it's definitely more gray. (As my sister said, "Well they call it SLATE - what do you expect!" :rolleyes:)

It may just be because I'm not very good with colors. I was also disappointed in the Indigo Blue, once I saw it in person.
Anyway, just a heads up, in case you REALLY want blue.

Attachments

• slate.jpg
    slate.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 23
Bob - if the bottle brush tip doesn’t fix the igniter taking out the igniter rod from the gas tube and cleaning off the electrode should fix it. I normally use sandpaper on it just like the furnace electrode periodically. They just get some build up on them, which prevents a spark.

Interestingly, Weber supplied the Performers with the #85509 Match Holder/Burner Tube Cleaner.

Someone on this forum is selling a masterpiece of craftsmanship and design that incorporates a 85509 into a propane tank cover. It's genius.

:ROFLMAO:

tank cover4.JPG

How many fat chihuahuas do you have and how many Weber Fat Chihuahua Sleeping Bags w/ Weber 85509 Turd Pickers would you like?
Well I hate to disappoint but ours has 3 paws in the grave. I did get a display tent for him when he was younger. It had 3 rooms. Very scaled-down versions of the real tents. Oh and just an FYI some guy that looks like you is selling these on ebay.

Bob and Rich not saying this is the problem with the igniter but I bought mine used and after a few months mine would not light either turns out nothing wrong with the igniter but what happened is the plastic knob from years of use was not turning the gas on enough for the igniter to light the burner it was slipping so when you turned it on and off kind of figured it out and would squeeze it to get a better grip.

I dropped the regulator so I could pop the plastic knob off with a screw driver which came off easily like one tap. I then which I love this stuff used Gorilla Clear Grip contact adhesive putting some on the inside of the knob and on the brass fitting it plugs into, let it sit for a few minutes then pushed the knob back on let it sit for a day and have not had an issue since.

Edit: If I remember I had shot some compressed air through the burner from behind the bowl so I knew there were not any obstructions.

Last edited:

Tim,
I have a Crimson that I recently bought and then upgraded with MasterTouch handles, legs and wheels so that it would sit higher (and look cooler).

Crimson Master Touch.jpeg

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in the matte finish that feels very dry and thin. When you compare it to a classic old kettle with thick, smooth porcelain it comes up kind of short in my book. I do think it has to do with the color choice, at least to some extent. New black kettles I have seen still seem to have a nice finish. But, that awful "Limited Edition" red was thin, flat, pale and orange-peeled and then we see the Slate Blue one above along with our shared Crimson experiences. I think it may be that chemicals that provided some of the colors for the porcelain are no longer allowed.

I need another kettle like a hole in the head, but I admit to dreaming about the "Indigo" special color from Ace. I won't buy one sight unseen, though. If it has a similar finish to my Crimson, then I am not interested.

It is sad that Weber doesn't make kettles like they used to, but I guess that just fuels the old kettle collecting hobby!

Bob and Rich not saying this is the problem with the igniter but I bought mine used and after a few months mine would not light either turns out nothing wrong with the igniter but what happened is the plastic knob from years of use was not turning the gas on enough for the igniter to light the burner it was slipping so when you turned it on and off kind of figured it out and would squeeze it to get a better grip.

I dropped the regulator so I could pop the plastic knob off with a screw driver which came off easily like one tap. I then which I love this stuff used Gorilla Clear Grip contact adhesive putting some on the inside of the knob and on the brass fitting it plugs into, let it sit for a few minutes then pushed the knob back on let it sit for a day and have not had an issue since.

Edit: If I remember I had shot some compressed air through the burner from behind the bowl so I knew there were not any obstructions.
Thanks for the update Brian. Mine will fire right up if I put a fire stick on the burner and I can her the gas hissing when I open it up.
Now that we can use charcoal again it won't quite raining, :( so I haven't had a chance to take the table off and check the ignitor.

Back