Anyone else's Weather as Totally Messed up as Ours?

TOKYO—A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake struck an area along the west coast of Japan, causing a tsunami wave of at least 4 feet as well as home collapses and a large fire.

Footage from news helicopters showed a fire engulfing at least several blocks in the city of Wajima near the earthquake’s epicenter at the tip of the Noto Peninsula

The New Year’s Day quake struck at 4:10 p.m. as many people were visiting family for the holiday or making the traditional New Year’s visit to a temple or shrine.

Insurers are coming off some of their worst years in history. Catastrophic damage from storms and wildfires is one big reason. The past decade of global natural catastrophes has been the costliest ever. Warmer temperatures have made storms worse and contributed to droughts that have elevated wildfire risk. Too many new homes were built in areas at risk of fire.

As losses mounted, inflation only made matters worse, boosting the cost of repairing or replacing cars or homes.

Climate change also has made it harder for insurers to measure their risks, pushing some to demand even higher premiums to cushion against future losses.

Just a skiff of snow yesterday, didn’t amount to much, melted off by mid afternoon, this week “MAY” get a little hinkey but, I’m not much worried, blower is gassed up, plenty of charcoal for the kettles, everything is as ready as it can be.

No snow from the weekend event. Some rain/snow mix.
Storm coming tomorrow into Wednesday 2-4" of rain and 50mph winds at the beach. There will be tidal flooding, but that's somewhat routine. Following the biggest swell to hit the NJ coast back on 12/18.
A lot of beach erosion though. But they'll replenish in the Spring.

IDK if I jinxed myself. I HATE winter and snow and ice. Really HATE it. But, likely stuck here in Illinausea for rest of days. But, I bought one of these a few days ago https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-j...charger-cover-ice-dozer-and-extended-warranty
Lady in the neighborhood bought it, tried it once, and found she could not use it due to an arthritic condition in shoulder. So literally a brand new device for VERY cheap price. Could not say "no"
We got about an inch of wet stuff and I tried it on the deck. Works like a champ.

After 2 separate days of “false” winter (single event December snow days), real winter will finally hit my part of Idaho beginning Wednesday, when even the high temperature is below freezing and light to moderate snow is expected daily. I have a Greenworks snow machine similar to @LMichaels Snow-Joe, but it takes forever on my huge driveway and front sidewalk area, neither of which get any direct sun during the day. Last summer, I went to the Lifetime store near me and bought this 42” snow pusher for $19.99 during a summer clearance sale. It makes quick work of clearing the sidewalks and driveway.

Last edited:
IDK if I jinxed myself. I HATE winter and snow and ice. Really HATE it. But, likely stuck here in Illinausea for rest of days. But, I bought one of these a few days ago https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-j...charger-cover-ice-dozer-and-extended-warranty
Lady in the neighborhood bought it, tried it once, and found she could not use it due to an arthritic condition in shoulder. So literally a brand new device for VERY cheap price. Could not say "no"
We got about an inch of wet stuff and I tried it on the deck. Works like a champ.
I have a similar (but corded) device that I use on the paver patio. Actually does work pretty well, even for a few inches of heavy wet snow. IMO, it'll never replace my 28" 2 stage simply due to not really throwing snow very far, but for a lot of purposes, it's perfectly good.

When we were in our bigger home in Northern Delaware, I bought a 2stage snowblower...had a 4stroke Tecumseh engine 5hp or so. It worked great for clearing the driveway and walkways. I even cleared some of the back deck with it.

Living on the golf course...HOA takes care of snow removal, driveway and right up to the front door. I love that.

BTW, I did not buy it to "replace" my larger 24" Toro only to "augment" it. This will be my deck, and patio clearing machine and maybe my little "touchup or tight spaces" unit. As well as for those times I don't feel like hand shoveling but pulling out a largish machine would be overkill

Yah.... if I'd run the 28" 2 stage over the patio, I'd have scuffed pavers from the runners and cutting edge..... and she would NOT be pleased in the spring.

Hey Larry, please post your thoughts on this snow blower, as you get more use out of it. I may be interested in one. We don't usually
get a lot of snow but this may be just the ticket for clearing a dog path from the back door, first thing in the morning. :D

Hey Larry, please post your thoughts on this snow blower, as you get more use out of it. I may be interested in one. We don't usually
get a lot of snow but this may be just the ticket for clearing a dog path from the back door, first thing in the morning. :D
Will do. I guess we're due for a "snowmagedden" here. Sure hope they're wrong but it sounds like we're gonna catch hell for as easy as it had been so far and mother nature wants to pay us back :(

OK, we got about 2" if VERY wet and VERY heavy slushy snow this AM. I took the little guy out just for giggles and grins. Amazing how far it will fling that stuff. I am quite impressed. Did close to half my driveway. It was able to toss that snow from the middle of my drive totally across that over my side yard and into the neighbor's front yard which was close to 40'. Pretty darn cool. No it's not practical to clean a large drive with, and not what I bought it for. Only for "cleanup", small areas like my patio, front stoop and my wood deck because the paddle will not damage the wood deck being soft silicone. Honestly an impressive little machine, and even after the torture test the battery still showed full charge!
Now especially considering I only gave a couple of $20 bills for it? Even all the more impressive. Lady I bought it from bought it last year, tried it once after charging battery and put it in the garage because of her shoulder arthritis she could not pick it up. It literally could not have been newer unless I pulled it fresh outta the box! Darn good little device.

OK, we got about 2" if VERY wet and VERY heavy slushy snow this AM. I took the little guy out just for giggles and grins. Amazing how far it will fling that stuff. I am quite impressed. Did close to half my driveway. It was able to toss that snow from the middle of my drive totally across that over my side yard and into the neighbor's front yard which was close to 40'. Pretty darn cool. No it's not practical to clean a large drive with, and not what I bought it for. Only for "cleanup", small areas like my patio, front stoop and my wood deck because the paddle will not damage the wood deck being soft silicone. Honestly an impressive little machine, and even after the torture test the battery still showed full charge!
Now especially considering I only gave a couple of $20 bills for it? Even all the more impressive. Lady I bought it from bought it last year, tried it once after charging battery and put it in the garage because of her shoulder arthritis she could not pick it up. It literally could not have been newer unless I pulled it fresh outta the box! Darn good little device.
Thanks Larry! Now I have one on the way too. This will be one of those things that gets used maybe once or twice every few years,
but I think it will be handy and I only need it for exactly what you described above. :D

I appreciate the review and the recommendation! (I guess I should say "and the revelation" - since I never knew these things existed.)

Well, here we go into the ice box, and weather I sort of expect 'round these here parts.

4-6" of snow predicted (again) for tomorrow morning through Saturday morning, with a high in the low 10's. That'll be dry snow, it should move pretty easily. Sunday & Monday nights, forecast low of -11 to -13 F.

Well, here we go into the ice box, and weather I sort of expect 'round these here parts.

4-6" of snow predicted (again) for tomorrow morning through Saturday morning, with a high in the low 10's. That'll be dry snow, it should move pretty easily. Sunday & Monday nights, forecast low of -11 to -13 F.
Same thing here. Polar Vortex and something called "Bomb Cyclone" whatever that is. But, I know I don't like the sound of it

Just got the last of Tuesday's 12 inch snow cleared this afternoon. Forecast - Winter Storm Warning tonight until Friday evening 7-14 inches, Blizzard Warning Friday evening until Saturday Noon, Wind Chill Watch Saturday night until Tuesday night. So much for a mild winter here in Eastern Iowa. Looks like from Saturday night until Wednesday morning we won't get above zero.

Just got the last of Tuesday's 12 inch snow cleared this afternoon. Forecast - Winter Storm Warning tonight until Friday evening 7-14 inches, Blizzard Warning Friday evening until Saturday Noon, Wind Chill Watch Saturday night until Tuesday night. So much for a mild winter here in Eastern Iowa. Looks like from Saturday night until Wednesday morning we won't get above zero.
Good luck. Hopefully the whole mess misses all of us in the upper Midwest

Just did a impeller mod on my old troy bilt snow blower to close the gaps on the paddles.
Supposed to help with wet slushy snow.

Back