Anyone else's Weather as Totally Messed up as Ours?

Just did a impeller mod on my old troy bilt snow blower to close the gaps on the paddles.
Supposed to help with wet slushy snow.
Couple of inches of rubber belting/flighting on the end of the blades, I'd bet....

Forecast changed again. Storm now has a few hours added fore & aft, fall is now predicted to be 6-10".

@LMichaels looks like you're gonna get it as well, based on what I'm seeing on the radar.
Yes so they say. I am ready. Plenty of toilet paper :D gas for the snow blower and the new little SnoJo all charged up. Also plenty of pellets for the garage grill. And freezer is full of stuff

I'm bringing my trusty Craftsman snowblower with the 9hp Tecumseh snow king to this fight if it happens. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Yea, we're expecting 8 -12" today and 1-3" tonight.
High winds tossed in for that blizzard effect.
Snow started about 4 am. It's coming down heavy.

We're looking at a fast developing, hit and run coastal storm starting late tonight into late Saturday. This is a SE storm. Kind of odd for mid-January. These storms can produce huge swells in a very short period of time. By Sunday afternoon it will likely be clear, cold and sunny with howling offshore (Westerly) winds. I'm looking forward to it!

Screenshot_20240112-075129_Windy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word of caution or a PSA. A couple years ago, I decided to part with my VERY old but VERY trusty Honda 621 snow blower since parts were getting scarce and wife wanted us to have one with electric start and self propelled. So off to Home Depot as they were showing a sale on Toro machines. Settled on the 24" Toro 724 OXE (so called "SnowMaster")
Warning, Do NOT waste your $$$$ on this or it's sibling the 824. (only diff between them is slightly larger CC engine on the 824) otherwise exact same product.
No need for the larger engine as honestly the smaller one has enough oomph to toss snow (heavy snow) 50' or more. However that is IF you can even get snow into the machine. It's supposedly "self propelled" with the Toro Personal Pace drive. Ha! On a snow like today's with higher moisture content, all the stupid machine does is skate up and over the snow leaving a hard pack underneath.
Just realized why today. Rather than a hard plastic, rubber or metal scraper bar the geniuses at Toro used a soft very thin and flexible scraper. Also then to get the machine to clean you have to literally pick it up jam the front down hard as you can and manually push it through the snow.
I might as well have simply taken the $1000 cash outta my pocket and lit it up. Because that is how useful that machine is.
I have owned 4 now blowers in my life. By far this is the absolute worst. Should have kept the Honda.
Honestly the ONLY good thing on this machine is the engine (which Toro buys from some Chinese company). Basically a blatant copy of a Honda GX type engine.
That little SnoJo is a better machine

Huh? A *FLEXIBLE* scraper edge? That's some serious sooper genius engineering right there.

I'm still on the original scraper on mine, but the shoes have been flipped over (and I have a spare set on the shelf.)

Huh? A *FLEXIBLE* scraper edge? That's some serious sooper genius engineering right there.

I'm still on the original scraper on mine, but the shoes have been flipped over (and I have a spare set on the shelf.)
Yeah, at my age I have little use for the stress and grief that, this thing has caused me. came in blood sugar alarm squawking at me, heart pumping like crazy and fairly light headed. I need a machine that moves snow not me the owner to an early demise

Heh...it's too cold to even go outside here now...so much for our unusually mild winter. Down to -40 tonight. Should be through it in a couple more days...

Yeah, at my age I have little use for the stress and grief that, this thing has caused me. came in blood sugar alarm squawking at me, heart pumping like crazy and fairly light headed. I need a machine that moves snow not me the owner to an early demise
I did fill up the snowblower can yesterday, and make sure that the blower tank is full.

Right now, we have under an inch down here, and it's 13 or 14 degrees. I'll cheerfully take a foot at this temperature over the crud that @LMichaels is getting right now. A friend of mine down in Rockford says it's 34 degrees and he's already got 6+".

I did fill up the snowblower can yesterday, and make sure that the blower tank is full.

Right now, we have under an inch down here, and it's 13 or 14 degrees. I'll cheerfully take a foot at this temperature over the crud that @LMichaels is getting right now. A friend of mine down in Rockford says it's 34 degrees and he's already got 6+".
Yeah right now it looks like someone shook up the sno globe we live in. I hate winter

We got 6" then it changed to rain. The impellor mod did a great job on the wet slushy snow.
Then the snowplows came thru and buried us again. I had a slush boulder in the middle of my driveway the size of a dishwasher.
Between me and my son we bent the handle of my shovel trying to move it.
This was heart attack snow.

We are expected to get 3 days of snow before clearing next week. Last night we got a scant 2+ inches of the usual dry powdery snow we get in SW Idaho. It took me only 15 minutes to clear my large driveway using my 44” snow pusher. Earlier this week we had 5” of snow and it took 35 minutes due to the added weight I had to push. SW Idaho has 86 snowplows operating 24 hours a day (2 12 hours shifts), 7 days a week during the winter so our roads are almost always clear. Three of these plows have been hit by cars and one was hit by a semi-truck (minor damage to both). The plows don’t come down our residential street ending in a cul-de-sac, so it’s an adventurous drive until you get to a more main plowed road.

We got 6" then it changed to rain. The impellor mod did a great job on the wet slushy snow.
Then the snowplows came thru and buried us again. I had a slush boulder in the middle of my driveway the size of a dishwasher.
Between me and my son we bent the handle of my shovel trying to move it.
This was heart attack snow.
No rain here. When we first moved out here, our township plow drivers were VERY nice and helpful. They would come down the streets in the sub with the plow truck, with a "wing" blade on it. At the driveways and mail boxes they would angle it to prevent building up an ice ridge. Not anymore. The new regime does not give a rats a$$. They come down the street pushing at every bit of 35 to 40 mph, throwing snow nearly up the entire length of my drive, snapping off mail boxes and so on. Total jerks.

UP AND DOWN, UP AND DOWN :rolleyes:

Boca Raton, FL​

• Today86° 73°
  • Sat80° 66°
  • Sun74° 66°
  • Mon79° 69°
  • Tue82° 64°
  • Wed75° 57°
  • Thu72° 57°

Back