Anyone else's Weather as Totally Messed up as Ours?

We're looking at a fast developing, hit and run coastal storm starting late tonight into late Saturday. This is a SE storm. Kind of odd for mid-January. These storms can produce huge swells in a very short period of time. By Sunday afternoon it will likely be clear, cold and sunny with howling offshore (Westerly) winds. I'm looking forward to it!

View attachment 85040
That storm is coming our way this afternoon. The tides are extra high due to astronomical conditions and waves coming to shore along New Brunswick will be breaking at 3-5m (10-15ft) on shore combined with the tide will produce coastal flooding. I'm in southeastern Nova Scotia.

Last edited:
That storm is coming our way this afternoon. The tides are extra high due to astronomical conditions and waves coming to shore along New Brunswick will be breaking at 3-5m (10-15ft) on shore combined with the tide will produce coastal flooding. I'm in southeastern Nova Scotia.
It looks like it regenerates a bit and we get swell activity Monay/Tuesday...you get similar according to the model on Windy.com

Couple of inches of rubber belting/flighting on the end of the blades, I'd bet....

Forecast changed again. Storm now has a few hours added fore & aft, fall is now predicted to be 6-10".
<fzzzzzzt> It's down to 6 F, and about 3" of snow. This won't take long to clean up.

I can't remember if I posted this already, but, some years ago, DH and I took a trip up north. When we stopped at a rest stop, I said to DH, look at all that white sand. He informed me that it was snow!!!!!!

And it's moved very easily.....I was outside for maybe an hour, including warming up the truck.
Yeah, I have a real mess on my hands right now. Since I never had to drive anywhere yesterday I never cleared that mess off my car. Well, total mistake. My car is a total brick of white now. I may have to run it awhile to get it at least drivable cleared off.

It’s been pretty lousy here starting last night. I spent over an hour doing what generally takes me twenty minutes tops!
This is not getting any nicer, the temperatures are supposed to drop like a stone tomorrow, I’m probably going to have to get a refill on the blower can. The “environmentally friendly” nozzles on the Costco pumps will only fill a gallon can just a little over half! Happy to have the car in the garage!

The “environmentally friendly” nozzles on the Costco pumps will only fill a gallon can just a little over half! Happy to have the car in the garage!
I use a transmission oil funnel and watch the pump to put in exactly one gallon. I do this when filling a can for 50:1 two stroke. Maybe this will work for you.

The little gas station at the bottom of the hill ran out of gas yesterday besides premium.
I think it was a combo of preping for the storm and delivery issues.

A big part of the problem is the new "safety" gas cans. I found a video of a guy who shows how to "fix" them.

Honestly, I think I’ll just get a bigger one. This one is just a one gallon and it might get 3/4 or a touch less. It’s not something that I generally feel like I have to worry about. The little station down the street has earth killing nozzles, twice a year I’ll just go there. Well, maybe a little more often this year!

It was 10 F when I got up this morning, it's down to -3, and supposed to drop to -11.
Already down to 5 here. Talking pretty well below 0 tonight. I have not touched my car since Thursday either. And thanks to my hoarder other half I cannot fit it in the garage anymore :( And I am on a nearly 6yo battery

Already down to 5 here. Talking pretty well below 0 tonight. I have not touched my car since Thursday either. And thanks to my hoarder other half I cannot fit it in the garage anymore :( And I am on a nearly 6yo battery
The garage in the house we bought is flat out too short to fit my truck. It does have a block heater on a timer, if I am going out on a schedule. And new batteries 2 years ago. The block heater really does help at low temps, and these engines will demonstrably start at -20 without the heater. My last truck had a 3 cylinder idle that kicked in below 0 F, and the first time you hear it, you'll swear that the pistons are gonna exit through the hood.

Anyway...... 4 batches of scones (mostly frozen) in 90 minutes this afternoon, we're stocked up for a few days.

I take it it's a diesel. Cummins? I really don't even know if I could get that Kubota fired in this weather. Part of me almost wanted to go out and try it. But, to what end? Just to say I did it? I think it's better to just leave it alone.

Old one was a 24v 5.9l Cummins, new one is a 6.7l Cummins. Grid heaters, not glow plugs.... DO NOT USE ETHER!

The Deere diesels back home in MI (also on the 45th Parallel,) would start pretty reliably in the cold, but they were housed, and usually had a block heater running for a couple of hours in the cold. The new Kubotas and the Massey Ferguson (all diesels,) start well, but get practically no use at all over the winter any more.

Back