Anyone else's Weather as Totally Messed up as Ours?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
What a winter so far...

Dec 28th and zero snow on the ground - bare grass/roads. We normally have all kind of snow settled in by now. January we are not shocked to see temps down to -30C, but today it's going up to +9C (48F). No cold weather or snow in the forecast either. Ground is barely frozen (normally freezes solid down 3' below grade). We are so screwed next spring/summer if we do not get some serious spring rain. Farmers are already starting to panic. The massive forest fires we saw in Canada last year that smoked out half the USA may be dwarfed by the potential this year...

That said, grilling some Korean chicken thighs tonight, so at least I got that going for me...

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat, Heck I’m just down the road from you……double digits on the plus side over Christmas.
It is very odd however, it’s constantly raining.
Don’t get too excited, the cold is coming.

What a winter so far...

Dec 28th and zero snow on the ground - bare grass/roads. We normally have all kind of snow settled in by now. January we are not shocked to see temps down to -30C, but today it's going up to +9C (48F). No cold weather or snow in the forecast either. Ground is barely frozen (normally freezes solid down 3' below grade). We are so screwed next spring/summer if we do not get some serious spring rain. Farmers are already starting to panic. The massive forest fires we saw in Canada last year that smoked out half the USA may be dwarfed by the potential this year...

That said, grilling some Korean chicken thighs tonight, so at least I got that going for me...
Count your blessings. I know I am. Although we had snow on ground today. Made the roads a little bad. The white knucklers were out, blocking those of us who know how to drive. Yeah the roads were a little "iffy" but only "speed limit iffy" rather than my usual 15 over :D Temps right around +3C - +5C instead of the oft times polar vortex and ice/snow making everything a treacherous mess. Quite honestly it could be like this until March and then get warm

There are actually still 64 wild fires burning in our province right now...we just need some precipitation in any form. We are happy with snow covered roads.

There are actually still 64 wild fires burning in our province right now...we just need some precipitation in any form. We are happy with snow covered roads.
Well that's good. Hope you keep them. Not me. I can deal with them I just hate them and winter

What a winter so far...

How thick is the ice on the lakes? It must be messing up the ice fishing. I'm in the maritimes now but we have a family cabin up at Cold Lake and I remember drilling through 3 feet of ice fishing over the Christmas holidays!

I have been reading about all the planning taking place for when the northern ice melts- so yeah…

So this AM I woke up and thought for a moment it had snowed. But it's just hoar frost due to a freezing fog. Pretty cool looking

1703949800950.jpeg

Southeastern Minnesota. Decidedly warm. It was 54 F at the Minneapolis Airport on Christmas Day. Ice fishing.... lot of news headlines about people getting stranded out on the lakes. It was 28 with a lot of frost this morning. No snow on the ground here at all, normally, I'd expect at least a few inches.

How thick is the ice on the lakes? It must be messing up the ice fishing. I'm in the maritimes now but we have a family cabin up at Cold Lake and I remember drilling through 3 feet of ice fishing over the Christmas holidays!

Nowhere thick as usual for sure in most areas. There have been some deaths recently because of thinner than expected ice. One family not far from us went out on their side-by-side and went missing and they found them and their vehicle where it had submerged. Numerous other incidents and a lot of new warnings as people for some reason just don't seem to get it...

There are a couple communities VERY far to the North that you can only fly in during the summer months, but in the winter they build an ice highway for access. This year it has just opened (weeks late) and can only sustain light vehicles instead of transport trucks.

Nowhere thick as usual for sure in most areas. There have been some deaths recently because of thinner than expected ice. One family not far from us went out on their side-by-side and went missing and they found them and their vehicle where it had submerged. Numerous other incidents and a lot of new warnings as people for some reason just don't seem to get it...

There are a couple communities VERY far to the North that you can only fly in during the summer months, but in the winter they build an ice highway for access. This year it has just opened (weeks late) and can only sustain light vehicles instead of transport trucks.
Grew up in Sherwood Park. Where do you live? There was only one Christmas Eve that had no snow. We had a tradition of playing road hockey every Christmas Eve. Remember playing at -35c one year but the rum and coke was a good antifreeze!

Grew up in Sherwood Park. Where do you live? There was only one Christmas Eve that had no snow. We had a tradition of playing road hockey every Christmas Eve. Remember playing at -35c one year but the rum and coke was a good antifreeze!

I'm in West Edmonton.

Heh...yup. "Mark Messier Trail" is main road into town...

Another example of unseasonably warm temps...and this is a couple hours closer to the mountains too! Dec 31 in Edson!!

1704065272582.png

Only 2 days (Dec. 1 and Dec. 26) of false winter when it snowed here in the Treasure Valley of Idaho. We’re in the high 30’s and low 40’s during the day and mid to high 20’s at night. We have frost in the morning but it’s gone by 10 am at the latest. No snow expected until a week from Sunday and then rain expected the next day. Last year was unusually cold and snowy for around here and we have the opposite effect this season.

Back