Anyone bought a gas range lately?

A friend of mine has a 48" top and it has "simmer" burners that actually cycle on and off to keep things warm without burning the bottom of your chili. The burners are also shaped like 5 point stars that helps with heat distribution.
Sounds like Thermador.

I have a GE all gas stove top and oven combo (about 4 to 5 years old. The stove top has a big griddle burner in the middle that we haven't used much. The quality of the griddle than came with the stove top is pretty poor/lightweight, and the griddle burner output is so weak it still takes forever for it to get hot.
I think we have the prior freestanding oven model to yours, about 8-10 years old. 5 burners, with middle and right back ones being the same small size. We're very happy with it. Broils great and self clean does just that.

I still miss the old reliable Calorics, which these imitate with inferior materials.

I have a DACOR. BEST range I’ve ever used. My daughter has my original DACOR dual fuel range and it stills works perfectly at 22 years old. Dacor was bought by Samsung so I’m not sure what my next range will be. Most likely will be induction.

Sorry bout the photo quality.
1642004608261.jpeg

I promise there is a cooktop tie in to this comment; Not sure if anyone else is a fan of OrsaraRecipes on Youtube butI love this guy - I hope I'm cooking like him when I'm his age (if the rat race doesn't get me first). Anyway, In his earlier videos, Chef Pasqual was using an old school white porcelain 4 burner stove. One of the happiest "internet moments" of my entire life was when I saw him using this new high end range stove top..... I rarely comment on a youtube video but I had to let him know how happy I was for him to get a pro-caliber stove.

I promise there is a cooktop tie in to this comment; Not sure if anyone else is a fan of OrsaraRecipes on Youtube butI love this guy - I hope I'm cooking like him when I'm his age (if the rat race doesn't get me first). Anyway, In his earlier videos, Chef Pasqual was using an old school white porcelain 4 burner stove. One of the happiest "internet moments" of my entire life was when I saw him using this new high end range stove top..... I rarely comment on a youtube video but I had to let him know how happy I was for him to get a pro-caliber stove.

YouTube has been good to him. That's likely a $10k+ stove and $2000+ hood.

Something I would warn you about. LG, is definitely not worth buying. Bought one about 3 or 4 years ago when our Bosch dual fuel died. In the end I wish I had kept the Bosch (even if it meant spending over $1000) to repair it. Yeah the LG is that big a POS. Honestly I would not give a plugged nickel for Frigidaire/Electrolux either. Oddly I just helped my dad buy a new range from ABT in Glenview IL. Truth be told in the $800 to $1200 range they had there, we settled on a GE. Now for the record I truly dislike GE stuff. They do not make appliances anymore. Their stuff is made in China by Heier. But, I have to say so far this GE works quite well.
As for 5th burner. On a 30" range it's difficult to make use of. Anything you have on it precludes use of any of the other 4. So there's that. On ours it's used only for a griddle and I had to do a little modification to the burner output to even get that to work sufficiently.
Honestly though I cannot wait for the LG to just die. So I can get another Bosch dual fuel. Truly was a very nice range
I disagree with you on the Electrolux I have the Wave dual fuel and it has been fantastic no choice cause my wife is a baker to not have an electric oven its about 10 years old I think the price for it was absurd but that is what she wanted and thats what she got the middle burner is useless in my opinion not sure we have used that like some others have said more than 3 or 4 times. We wanted the freestanding unit cause it has the back panel so stuff does not splatter against the wall in the back. I don't believe Bosch makes one like that might be wrong but there stuff without that is what I paid for the Electrolux or more.

As for 5th burner. On a 30" range it's difficult to make use of. Anything you have on it precludes use of any of the other 4.

Yup. Like Mark's Dacor above, a 30 wide really should just have four burners.

As another example, Viking and Wolf do not bother with a fifth burner on their spendy 30 inchers. They just have four big BTU burners. They put some grates (but no burner) down the middle so you have edge to edge grates so you can slide stuff around.

Last edited:
As for 5th burner. On a 30" range it's difficult to make use of. Anything you have on it precludes use of any of the other 4.

Yup. Like Mark's Dacor above, a 30 wide really should just have four burners.

As another example, Viking does not bother with a fifth burner on their spendy 30 inchers. They just have four big BTU burners. They put some grates (but no burner) down the middle so you have edge to edge grates so you can slide stuff around.
I can't even agree with four big BTU burners. Everyone knows that to "put on the back burner" is to turn way down. Give me one burner that roars like a jet engine, one that simmers like a candle, and a couple of regular burners and I am good to go. Look at burner #5 as your spare parts burner, in case something breaks.

Perhaps the VERY high end Electrolux stuff may be ok and still made to much better European standards. But my 2 forays into Frigidare/Electrolux appliances have been met with total and utter disappointment. My Bosch was an actual frees standing range and they still make them. Very hard to find though (especially in Dual Fuel) as are all ranges that are dual fuel. But, bottom line after the total disappointment with Frigidaire/Electrolux not once but TWO times, when the time comes to spend the kind of $$$ a dual fuel range is going to cost me there is no way on God's earth the money is going to them.

Based on my experience with the GE gas oven, I think temperature control issues on newer gas ovens MAY be a myth. I'm pretty sure it holds give or take 5 degrees anywhere between 180 and 450 F Of course, I don't bake cakes or souffles anything fancy either.....

Based on my experience with the GE gas oven, I think temperature control issues on newer gas ovens MAY be a myth. I'm pretty sure it holds give or take 5 degrees anywhere between 180 and 450 F Of course, I don't bake cakes or souffles anything fancy either.....
Gas and electric do run differently. Gas emits moisture when it burns. Electric does not. Most professionals do prefer electric ovens as they don’t emit moisture which effects the final cooked product. This is esoteric to many. Most won’t care of the difference.

Our LG POC cannot even hold within 50 degrees of set. Yeah it's THAT bad. Our Bosch (when it was working) could hold within 10. I am not sure if all gas ovens are as bad as our LG or if it's an LG thing. But it's garbage pure and simple and like I said earlier. I cannot wait for the day it can go to the scrap heap

Gas and electric do run differently. Gas emits moisture when it burns. Electric does not. Most professionals do prefer electric ovens as they don’t emit moisture which effects the final cooked product. This is esoteric to many. Most won’t care of the difference.
A moist oven is better for moist meat and a dry oven is typically preferred for baking. You can always put a bowl of water in an electric over, but not so much the other way around.

I would even say that a gas oven heats up faster and an electric oven stay hot much longer after you turn it off.

A moist oven is better for moist meat and a dry oven is typically preferred for baking. You can always put a bowl of water in an electric over, but not so much the other way around.

I would even say that a gas oven heats up faster and an electric oven stay hot much longer after you turn it off.
Maybe so on the heat up. My KitchenAid has a rapid preheat which make no time of getting hot and dang fast. Since it’s electric, I do add a water bowl when I bake cheesecakes. They require the added moisture to get the cake to set and stay moist as it cools for 6 hours post cook.

1642288520599.jpeg

Brett - you are spot on with this comment. Natural gas does contain moisture that is released during combustion. I never thought about how it might effect baking/roasting/etc.... that moisture released during combustion contains latent heat which gets captured in condensing furnaces and boilers for higher heating efficiency. ON THE OTHER Hand, that moisture can be the enemy in non-condensing type heating equipment...

I watch him frequently. I've cooked some of his recipes too.

My wife is a top notch cook. She picked out a Blomberg 30" gas range with 5 burners. Blomberg/Beko are huge in Europe...especially Germany and the UK...built in Turkey I do believe.
The center oval burner never gets used. I think it was about $2500 though. Convection oven but no electronics not even a clock. An oven light and LED lights above the knobs. Seems solid.
Have a circa 2001 DCS Gas range in our beach house. It truly is a professional range...not a professional "looking" range.
Fisher Paykel bought DCS and Haier bought Fisher Paykel...So Haier, GE, Fisher Paykel...all from the same parent company.

Last edited:
I could certainly live without it, but I have a oval burner in the middle of mine. I use it when i make a roast in my oval enameled Dutch oven. The burner matches the shape of Dutch oven very well and it browns the meat nicely. I don’t think I’d ever use the middle for a griddle. I’m pretty sure bacon or sausage would make one heck of a mess and I’m thinking there’d be no drain system for grease.

Back