Anybody use their side burner?

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
This is the second grill I bought with a side burner (E-330). Only bought it because I wanted the sear station and it came with it. I had one on my big 5 burner that I only used for big gatherings as I liked my Silver B a lot better for everyday use. Only used it for something like baked beans. Have only used the new one once and that was to sear some salmon as the wife does not allow me to "stink up the house" doing it inside.

Do any of you use them?

I use mine.

When it is really hot I'll boil water for pasta.

I use it for my carbon steel wok. The burner has high enough heat to make quick work of onions or onions and peppers for a side. Keeps the mess and the oil fog outside.

Mine doesn't simmer well, maybe because it was converted from NG to LP so I simmer direct on the grill.

I find it hard to see the flame, so adjusting it is difficult. Not like the gas stove indoors.

My wife uses it daily for anything that splatters or leaves a lingering aroma.
Fish head soup, organ meat, tripe, stuff that’s pan fried, etc

When I bought my used E320 side winder it has a side burner and I tried it to see if it worked and it did. Haven't opened the lid on it since and that was six years ago. When I picked up a Gen 3000 to convert my Gen 1000 I replaced the burner with a shelf and made it a Gen 2000.
I use my performer to start my chimney If I need too, but with the performer being my only charcoal grill now and I use the baskets 99% of the time that's not very often.

I use mine quite a bit, breakfast, side dishes, sauces. My Broil King Regal 490 Pro has an IR Sideburner. I made a SS wind guard that fits my BK and Weber.

Attachments

• AA9E6655-E358-4135-BC20-54FC4C7D1851.jpeg
    AA9E6655-E358-4135-BC20-54FC4C7D1851.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 19
  • A5EE1F0C-0F68-4771-A628-886EE69E1146.jpeg
    A5EE1F0C-0F68-4771-A628-886EE69E1146.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 20
I use mine quite a bit, breakfast, side dishes, sauces. My Broil King Regal 490 Pro has an IR Sideburner. I made a SS wind guard that fits my BK and Weber.
I bought a BK 6 years ago and paid for the rotisserie burner and stainless grates, but skipped the side burner because I tbought I would never use it. Fast forward a few years, and Broil King now sells an IR burner retrofit kit that fits where the side burner goes. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the side burner....I guess one of these days, I'll have to find a parts grill for the front panel, manifold, and side table to convert mine to IR burner capable.

Last edited:
Now, if Weber came out with a retrofit IR/sear burner, I would be on board. Are you watching the competition Weber?

This is the second grill I bought with a side burner (E-330). Only bought it because I wanted the sear station and it came with it. I had one on my big 5 burner that I only used for big gatherings as I liked my Silver B a lot better for everyday use. Only used it for something like baked beans. Have only used the new one once and that was to sear some salmon as the wife does not allow me to "stink up the house" doing it inside.

Do any of you use them?
During the summer I use it to boil sweet corn and macaroni or spuds for salads. Beats heating up the kitchen. I'll also use it to cook up a batch of chili or a pot of beans sometimes. The side burner and rotisserie are the only use my natural gasser had gotten in 3 or 4 years, and why I keep it.

During the summer I use it to boil sweet corn and macaroni or spuds for salads. Beats heating up the kitchen. I'll also use it to cook up a batch of chili or a pot of beans sometimes. The side burner and rotisserie are the only use my natural gasser had gotten in 3 or 4 years, and why I keep it.
Ha. That flips the question. "Anybody use the gas grill attached to their side burner?"

I purchased a Genesis II LX-340 because I thought I would like and really use the side burner. Turns out that I have lit more charcoal than anything else. Here in KC, there is always a breeze and makes the side burner useless. I have tried to fabricate wind breaks with limited effect. One that is low enough to clear a skillet handle is less than effective.
So, at this point, no I do not use mine. An electric hot plate works better.

i use mine to fry using my carbon steel wok; wings, falafel, deep fried fish (fish n chips), and the occasional coal chimney. on my built in island project, i am planning on building in a jet burner so maximize heat output for Asian stir-fry (think wok hei) as this should solve every fry problem i've ever encountered: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016NA3XCC/?tag=tvwb-20

That thing looks perfect. For what... you say, well foe starters you can burn through 6 quarts of charcoal in a minute.
Sear steaks. Jiffy pop moon landings. Or chinese food in a hurry.
I can't ise this but I want it.
Will it work on 11wc pressure?

I bought a BK 6 years ago and paid for the rotisserie burner and stainless grates, but skipped the side burner because I tbought I would never use it. Fast forward a few years, and Broil King now sells an IR burner retrofit kit that fits where the side burner goes. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the side burner....I guess one of these days, I'll have to find a parts grill for the front panel, manifold, and side table to convert mine to IR bu
I bought a BK 6 years ago and paid for the rotisserie burner and stainless grates, but skipped the side burner because I tbought I would never use it. Fast forward a few years, and Broil King now sells an IR burner retrofit kit that fits where the side burner goes. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the side burner....I guess one of these days, I'll have to find a parts grill for the front panel, manifold, and side table to convert mine to IR burner capable.
I installed the IR kit on my Regal, I love it. 15 minute install.

I use the one on my Genesis all the time. I use it the most to shallow fry egg rolls, fish for fish and chips, heat BBQ sauces and glazes. Keep the smell outside and is much easier to clean tha my warming deep fryer ans my stovetop. I do not use it as a charcoal starter.

Back