Anybody ever heard of brown durawood?

So I was thinking turning this 4000 into a 1000. I have four brand new zbars for the bottom. I was hoping that the holes would line up so I didn't need to space and redrill every slat. No, it looks like one of the six slats will just fit.IMG_20240604_214457051.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240604_214520721.jpg
    IMG_20240604_214520721.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1
So I was thinking turning this 4000 into a 1000. I have four brand new zbars for the bottom. I was hoping that the holes would line up so I didn't need to space and redrill every slat. No, it looks like one of the six slats will just fit.
img_20240604_214457051-jpg.92603

Ahhh so the 6 slat is different than the 9 slat Steve
Yep, and getting the spacing right is a major league pain, as you know. I may try to come up with some kind of jig to lock them all in place to drill the holes.

So I was thinking turning this 4000 into a 1000. I have four brand new zbars for the bottom. I was hoping that the holes would line up so I didn't need to space and redrill every slat. No, it looks like one of the six slats will just fit.

Yep, and getting the spacing right is a major league pain, as you know. I may try to come up with some kind of jig to lock them all in place to drill the holes.

Wait, are you sure that 6 slat z bar is for a bottom shelf and not a top? Remember you told me they were different

The z-bars for the bottom shelves in the 1000 series were about an inch longer than those for the top shelves and the slat spacing was a bit wider.

Heres what im thinking for a jig Steve.

If we can get a hold of a 6 slat bottom shelf and a 9 slat bottom shelf with the original slats in them, we can number them, remove them, drill a hole straight though the slat and then use those as the template for new 6 and 9 slat bottom shelves.

My 3000 has the 9 slat and I would have 100% drilled holes straight thru the durawood but... i didn't realize there were all these differences and removed them...

I have the 6 slat bottom shelves that I haven't removed yet, I'll likely sacrifice one set of durawood slats for a 6 slat bottom shelf template.

Any other ideas in how to do this without ruining the example slats ?

Any other ideas in how to do this without ruining the example slats ?
I think what you're saying would work as long as you could clamp together the two slats perfectly, but it would sort of be a shame to wreck the other slats. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of using an existing table to make a jig out of scrap wood that would space all the slats perfectly on the brackets for drilling. I'm still trying to come up with what that would look like.

I think what you're saying would work as long as you could clamp together the two slats perfectly, but it would sort of be a shame to wreck the other slats. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of using an existing table to make a jig out of scrap wood that would space all the slats perfectly on the brackets for drilling. I'm still trying to come up with what that would look like.

Yea true they would need to be lined up perfectly ...

As far as the durawood - Id kill a top shelf , a fold up shelf, a 6 slat bottom shelf and a 9 slat bottom shelf to have examples for each. I dont like the durawood anyway so ...

Im trying to think how i did it when weber sent the durawood in place of the original wood as a warranty replacement. Did they send it all with zbars included?

Also that top shelf and fold up shelf i built those from scratch years ago, I just re stained them recently but, how did I line those up I dont remember thinking this hard about it aaahaaa

Also that top shelf and fold up shelf i built those from scratch years ago, I just re stained them recently but, how did I line those up I dont remember thinking this hard about it aaahaaa
The top ones are a lot easier to do because the outer slats go right to the edge of the z bar.

The top ones are a lot easier to do because the outer slats go right to the edge of the z bar.

Well we can break down and measure. Did u already take the slats off both of the 9 slat tables?

I have the 6 slat tables fully assembled and I can measure the gaps as well as how far in they start on each side.

Well we can break down and measure. Did u already take the slats off both of the 9 slat tables?

I have the 6 slat tables fully assembled and I can measure the gaps as well as how far in they start on each side.
I still have an intact 9 slat table and two six slat tables as well. I have one in front of me now trying to figure out a jig I can make.

I still have an intact 9 slat table and two six slat tables as well. I have one in front of me now trying to figure out a jig I can make.

Ok so i measured the spacing between slats and on the ones I rebuilt as well as the two 6 slat bottom durawood tables, they all seem to be 7/16 apart from each other. I need to go get the other 2 shelves from my storage (top and fold up) feom that 1000 I got to see if those are the same as well. So check yours Steve and at least we can solve that piece.

Ok so i measured the spacing between slats and on the ones I rebuilt as well as the two 6 slat bottom durawood tables, they all seem to be 7/16 apart from each other. I need to go get the other 2 shelves from my storage (top and fold up) feom that 1000 I got to see if those are the same as well. So check yours Steve and at least we can solve that piece.
7/16 seems right to me too but I'm going to use calipers to measure it too if I can find them.

7/16 seems right to me too but I'm going to use calipers to measure it too if I can find them.

Im just wondering if the 9 slat bottom shelves are also 7/16 spacing.

If so that tells me that you would then just need to make sure that where the 2 bottom shelves come together they would need to be 7/32 away from the edge of the z bar to make the gap the same between shelves.

I remember when I had my 2000/3000 and the bottom shelves and the side shelves were different lengths.

Ya Larry going thru this with everyone, I just realized that too... I didnt know the 6 slat top shelf was smaller than the bottom.

Also the top shelves have the slats flush with the edge on either side where the bottom are indented, im assuming 7/32, to make the spacing all the same across the two shelves.

If this is all true we can get a 7/16 dowel rod or something like that, lay the slats all out (12 or 18) put the rod in between each slat and then put the z bars on top to fasten them down.

But maybe Steve has a better idea for a jig...

Back