Anybody ever heard of brown durawood?

I started disassembly and have already run into a couple of problems. The frame has a pretty big rust hole in it. I have a spare frame but that one has a rusted out spot in the same section of frame, different spot. I also discovered some holes in the firebox.

Attachments

• IMG_20240528_205348022.jpg
    IMG_20240528_205348022.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240528_205446246.jpg
    IMG_20240528_205446246.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 8
It is hard to tell exactly where that rusted out area is on the frame. Can you take photo zoomed out. I am guessing it is the crossmember on the left side of the fire box. If so, you are going to have to cut it out and fab in a new one.

Bruce, it looks like it's the front of the frame. You can see in the closeup the place where 2 tubes come together
Steve, the hole in the firebox looks more troubling to me than the frame

It is hard to tell exactly where that rusted out area is on the frame. Can you take photo zoomed out. I am guessing it is the crossmember on the left side of the fire box. If so, you are going to have to cut it out and fab in a new one.
No, not the cross member, ironically that is perfect. It is in the same section of frame though.IMG_20240528_211403174~2.jpg

Bruce, it looks like it's the front of the frame. You can see in the closeup the place where 2 tubes come together
Steve, the hole in the firebox looks more troubling to me than the frame
It's probably hard to tell from the picture but the hole in the frame is enormous. I have an extra cook box so that's not the end of the world.

Yah, I see that now Larry. My guess is the rest of the cook box has some significant rust as well even it is isn't evident yet.

You can probably patch those holes if they are not too big with some High Heat JBWeld. But, I would not bother or risk it failing in a year or two. I would find a different cook box. That frame is toast. Call they local scrapper.

I'm going to have to get a donor grill now. The only good thing is it can be any Genesis 1000-5000, that part of the frame is the same on all of them.

I'm going to have to get a donor grill now. The only good thing is it can be any Genesis 1000-5000, that part of the frame is the same on all of them.
Steve I have a frame sitting here with bad Xmember but those sections and the front panel are nearly perfect. I also put very decent control panel up in the Buy/Sell threads Welcome to both if you want them

Steve I have a frame sitting here with bad Xmember but those sections and the front panel are nearly perfect. I also put very decent control panel up in the Buy/Sell threads Welcome to both if you want them
Thanks Larry. I haven't even looked that close at the front panel yet. I don't think I can take any more disappointment tonight. I will keep it in mind.

If that is all rust, you can feel the paint above it bubbled up. But, that rusted out spot leads me to believe there is a lot of rust in other parts of the frame.

If that is all rust, you can feel the paint above it bubbled up. But, that rusted out spot leads me to believe there is a lot of rust in other parts of the frame.
That spot is bad enough but I really didn't see anything more than a little surface rust where the upper frame sections are bolted together.

Back