Another Roasted Bird

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Since we've had so little roasted poultry of late, I decided I should cook a chicken. Cavity got some S&P, the remaining rosemary and thyme from last week, some lemon and apple slices and finally, a splash of beer. I melted some butter, combined with chicken stock and a little more of said beer, along with some herbs and brushed the chicken with that concoction before putting it in the Weber Outdoor Oven. I basted with that same concoction 3 or 4 times during the cook. Finally, I tried a new recipe: Drunken Potatoes. A friend sent this on to me from the CampChef website recently and I figured this was a great opportunity to try it. It's a lot of potatoes for a family of 4, so I halved the recipe. Cooked it in a CI skillet and simply covered with foil for the 350 degree rest in the oven. Ad libbed a bit at the end and put them under the broiler for a minute or two to brown them up before throwing them in the serving dish and adding cheese. Good stuff, and definitely worth doing a gain.

1607263176674.jpeg

1607263190965.jpeg

The potatoes looks killah!
The bird is no slouch either!
I did one basic indirect last night, tucked a halved lemon and whole head of garlic in the cavity with the bird rubbed with “Aw$#!+” rub. It got pretty dark so, I foiled it loosely. Sorry, no pics, had to eat!

The potatoes looks killah!
The bird is no slouch either!
I did one basic indirect last night, tucked a halved lemon and whole head of garlic in the cavity with the bird rubbed with “Aw$#!+” rub. It got pretty dark so, I foiled it loosely. Sorry, no pics, had to eat!

Ah! Forgot to mention I also had 3 or 4 smashed cloves of garlic in that cavity.

Bird looks terrific Jim. Really like those potatoes too. Like you, my first thought when I checked out the recipe was "halve the recipe!".

Great looking bird, Jim! I don't think I've done a whole, roasted bird on my new grill yet. Perhaps that will be tonight's meal! Those potatoes look really good, too.

R

Bird looks perfect Jim, and the taters are exactly what I've been looking for as a side. I pulled the recipe and when I looked at your picture of them it looks like you added green onions as I don't see that in the recipe. Yes/No?

Bird looks perfect Jim, and the taters are exactly what I've been looking for as a side. I pulled the recipe and when I looked at your picture of them it looks like you added green onions as I don't see that in the recipe. Yes/No?

Yep, last second addition.

If only I was talented enough. Thanks for sharing.
Do not fret, young Dave. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and while you may believe your chicken skills pale when compared to Jim's I'm sure he wishes he could handle a John Deere like you do.;)

(And in case someone not named Clay Neubauer didn't get it: Iowa. Farms. Tractors.;))

Last edited:
Do not fret, young Dave. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and while you may believe your chicken skills pale when compared to Jim's I'm sure he wishes he could handle a John Deere like you do.;)

(And in case someone didn't get it: Iowa. Farms. Tractors.;))

There is not a doubt in my mind that Dave can cook a bird better than that. And also no doubt that he'd run circles around me in just about everything else we could come up with.

Inspired by you I hopped off the couch and immediately made these. Well...
Okay so I had no baby potatoes, but I had Costco bakers
No bacon but I had some generic sausage
Onions and shallots I had. Yeah.
No peppers.
Some spice but no jalapenos. I used Weber Kickin Chicken.
Found a bottle of beer in the back o fridge. (All non-drinkers here)
Had homemade chicken soup.
Plenty of cheese to choose.
Started on stove then slowed it down in the oven.
Side note: yeah cast iron.

Attachments

• 20201206_154937.jpg
    20201206_154937.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201206_162148.jpg
    20201206_162148.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201206_181914.jpg
    20201206_181914.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: