Another Genesis 1000 Rehab

NickF

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys I want to first off thank everyone ( especially Bruce, Larry and Jon )who has helped me with this rehab via DM’s or post replies. Also I’m really bad and taking pictures throughout the process so bare with me.

Ok now that I got that out of the way....one day last month I was combing through my local Nextdoor app for things I didn’t need that were for sale. That rabbit hole lead me to grills. I had already a 22” kettle in the shed for the occasional Saturday afternoon burgers and grilled chicken, but I so realized I like the convenience of gas grilling and wanted to give it a go and that’s where I found this.
CCC6F70D-91AD-44D9-ADB7-9716DDD2E2A5.jpeg
435591C0-3BA9-4748-8BE9-9DDE50A8CF88.jpeg
6FC802E7-B787-4A35-A627-97A0B04F997C.jpeg
The PO was giving it away because his parents had given to him a few years back but didn’t realize it was NG so it ended up in my garage.

After researching how to convert it to LP I found this site and my search history has been clogged ever since.

I took the advice of many on here and wire wheeled the fire box and lid sides. I also sanded the frame and brackets to give them a greasy coat of HH paint.
87F1486F-2E28-425C-9737-B98B9DC0DFA7.jpeg
BD088945-CCA8-4997-9266-D9801C8620E8.jpeg
9ABE6A63-CB68-4EDD-B2D5-FBD7E63A9EE8.jpeg
As far as the wood goes I wanted to keep it looking as factory as possible so I figured nothing says 80’s and 90’s like solid Oak wood. Seeing as I’m a Texan as well I went with Minwax’s “Gunstock” stain and followed it up with a couple coats of spar urithane, I think it turned out pretty good.
31A4CC59-8892-4F46-8120-0C9DC2E7A0B4.jpeg

I replaced the burners with cheap ones off Amazon I also went with Hongso grates as I could convince my wife to spring for Dave’s grates. As Flavorizer bars go I scored some unopened Weber SS bars off eBay for $35 I’m just waiting for them to show up.
7B8E115F-C201-45A3-9B6D-E141F34C252C.jpeg
5E19874E-4727-428F-B79A-144551FE5787.jpeg
A48C0611-942A-44FA-84E2-1D867D1E6D8C.jpeg
I don’t think it’s a Bruce caliber rehab but it’s perfect for my family and hopefully it will last a lifetime.

Now the only thing left to do is break her in!

NICE! I like black hood/wood slat grills a lot. You did a great job and I think you found a good balance on what you spent. Nothing wrong with getting rcplanebuyer but not worth a marital disaster :LOL: . I think you will get great functionality to go with your grill's style. Take good care of it and it will serve you well for a good long time - way longer than charsomethingorother from a big box store:coolkettle:.

Thanks Jon! Ya I wish I could have splurged on Grates and Flavorizer bars but she promised me I can make it up in red meat 😁

Yah, that's bruce caliber. Great job. How did you convert it over to propane? DId you get a new manifold?

Oh, and RCP grates are the bomb, but I totally understand the monetary considerations.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Man, that looks great! You're making me feel really bad about the low-effort "restoration" I'm doing on my first Weber ;)
I can relate. I feel like I did more of a “face lift” on this thing. I think I was too excited to use it that I pushed past some things I could have gone into more detail but I told me self that in a couple of years I’ll break it back down and do it right. I was just craving grill chicken too much lol

I can relate. I feel like I did more of a “face lift” on this thing. I think I was too excited to use it that I pushed past some things I could have gone into more detail but I told me self that in a couple of years I’ll break it back down and do it right. I was just craving grill chicken too much lol

You kiddin' me? That's way more than a facelift; that's a proper restoration you did! Over here...no paint, no new burners - not even replacing the missing control knob for one of the burners for the time being. New regulator arrives today, IF that gets it back up and running then the next step will be replacing the flavorizer bars that are completely rusted through. Even the old grates are staying put for now. Until I can go back to work, that's all the money I can justify putting into this. Even the wood isn't getting rehabbed yet since I can just use my small patio table instead. But I figure looks aren't everything (and if I'm wrong, I've got bigger problems than just the grill department!)

Man, that looks great! You're making me feel really bad about the low-effort "restoration" I'm doing on my first Weber ;)
Don't be discouraged. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, all that matters in the end is putting an old landfill destined Genesis back on the deck and cooking burgers. While a highly restored grill is awesome to look at, they are not generally going to cook any better than another mechanically restored grill.

True. I’d rather have a mechanical sound grill that looks like crap than an fully restored paper weight

Update guys... so I went to Home Depot this afternoon and pick up my first propane tank came home, hooked it up and it fired up no problem. Where the problem is there is no adjustability with the burners in the low-med-high settings. It will control the flame as I close each valve but I’m not sure if that is a safe way to regulate the flame. So currently on the grill now is the original NG manifold with the NG valves with the LP orifices. The only reason I did this is because when I went to install the LP manifold it wouldn’t fit. The mounting holes were 1/4” to narrow the spacing of the valves on the manifold were to short also 6” center to center while my NG manifold was 6 1/2” center to center. Also the LP valve stems were too short measuring 2 3/4” while my NG valves are 3 1/2” long. Do I have a different model? Is there something else I can try? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Nick, first, that looks fabulous! Great work, enjoy it! As to the manifold issue, there I’m thinking that Larry and Bruce will be your best resource, I think they are more fluent in the “***” issues which happen in gas grill than I ever plan on being, Jon and Stefan will probably have some ideas, just hold on, this can be dealt with!

Back