Another Free Genesis 1000 LX

A bunch of parts were supposed to arrive today. Got this messsage: "Unfortunately, USPS ran into an issue when attempting your delivery."

Waiting's not easy. On the other hand, I'm better off. Had some surgery this morning to deal with my prostate. Not cancer; just to deal with the gradual enlargement most of us deal with. Supposed to just rest for a few days and the new parts would be tempting. Really want to fire up that 1000 and see what I've got.

Roy, there is a mania which comes along with the great find of one of these old workhorses. Don’t over do before you have recovered from the procedure. The joy of getting the grill back to full functioning glory will last a long time. A couple of days to recover, will also give you the time to prepare a good plan of attack, think it through before you start. Your patience will be rewarded.

Roy, there is a mania which comes along with the great find of one of these old workhorses. Don’t over do before you have recovered from the procedure. The joy of getting the grill back to full functioning glory will last a long time. A couple of days to recover, will also give you the time to prepare a good plan of attack, think it through before you start. Your patience will be rewarded.
This is a great lesson that I have been working on learning for years. The difference between executing a well planned venture and a rush job cannot be understated. With a 1000 you are best served taking your time because when you make a solid repair it lasts for years. We all know how long rush jobs last. Plus when you do a heavy duty over engineered and visually appealing piece of work, it is so much more satisfying than having a crappy sort of fixed thing that is still bothersome.

Thanks to both of you. Today, I'm pretty much forced to rest by the fact that I had to get up every hour last night to use the bathroom. Didn't feel this sleep deprived when I did all nighters in high school and college. Whatever resources I drew on then are no longer a part of my world.

Here's a question. What's the difference between cast iron and stainless grills, flavorizer bars, etc.? Why do some elect stainless?

Flavorizer bars are easy, the stainless steel ones last much longer than those made of regular steel. As far as grates go, everybody has their own opinion on whether cast iron or stainless steel are better. I prefer stainless steel grates myself.

Flavorizer bars are easy, the stainless steel ones last much longer than those made of regular steel. As far as grates go, everybody has their own opinion on whether cast iron or stainless steel are better. I prefer stainless steel grates myself.
Thanks Steve. Why do you prefer stainless?

That's a good question. I replaced the cast iron grates that came with my grill about 15 years ago with the Weber ss that they offer. I threw the cast iron grates away so I must have hated them for some reason. The problem is I can't really remember what that reason was.😄I will say that I still have that set of ss grates and they are still like new.

One of the main reasons people like stainless steel is it is very low maintenance and last much longer than CI. You don't have to clean them or even season them like you do Cast Iron. The cooking properties are fairly similar as long as the stainless grates have similar mass to the cast iron grates. But there are some die hard grillers that swear by cast iron.

One of the main reasons people like stainless steel is it is very low maintenance and last much longer than CI. You don't have to clean them or even season them like you do Cast Iron. The cooking properties are fairly similar as long as the stainless grates have similar mass to the cast iron grates. But there are some die hard grillers that swear by cast iron.
Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. Very much the same as a cast iron vs stainless frying pan. I tend to be a big fan of cast iron. I love how easily they clean when properly seasoned. I love that, if well made, they're indestructible. I also love that they impart some iron to the food they touch. Guess I'll be sticking with my cast iron grills. As for the flavorizer bars, I'd be open to stainless should I run across some at a good price.

Yeah, use whatever kind of grates you prefer. Amazon and eBay are both loaded with great deals on grates and flavorizer bars. Just make sure you read the reviews first.

Here are two sets of SS grates from Amazon that I would recommend. If you want to spend more, you can get beefier grates, but these should do well for most people.

Or you can go a bit less expensive and still get some good SS grates.

And you can go this route for a bit more $$$ and get some 8MM stainless steel grates.

Moving up to 9mm grates would run you $100 plus. If interested, let me know and I can provide links to those.

Here are two sets of SS grates from Amazon that I would recommend. If you want to spend more, you can get beefier grates, but these should do well for most people.

Or you can go a bit less expensive and still get some good SS grates.

And you can go this route for a bit more $$$ and get some 8MM stainless steel grates.

Moving up to 9mm grates would run you $100 plus. If interested, let me know and I can provide links to those.
Thanks Bruce. I'm going to stick with my cast iron grates. Was saying I'm open to stainless flavorizer bars. When I checked Amazon it looked like there too the cheap ones tend to be light and thin gauge. The thicker ones are more expensive.

Back