Another Free Genesis 1000 LX

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
I'm new to this world of grilling. Picked up a CharBroil grill for free last year and fell in love with this way of cooking. My 7 year old has become so fond of grilled food, he won't eat chicken, burgers or steak cooked any other way. The CharBroil is nothing to write home about but it's gotten the job done.

The CharBroil looks better than it is. Stainless on the outside, with features like a warming tray (which we never use) but not high quality. It doesn't cook evenly and isn't built to last. Was a great tool for finding out what grilling is about and discovering it's something we appreciate. Given its limitations, was thinking it probably time to find a better grill. When I was scouting around last year, it quickly became obvious Weber has a great reputation. The newer ones come up for sale on Craigslist but people seem to want a lot. So I did a bit of reading and there seems to be some consensus that the deep box of the models before the Silver series were well designed and built to last.

Last night I found one for free. Will have to take some better photos. These were snapped quickly so I could get assistance from the Weber tech determining the model and whether it appeared to be in reasonably good shape. She said it's a 1000 LX. I have the bar and slats from the bottom. Pulled them off just to get the grill up on the deck and haven't taken a moment to put them back on yet. I really like the red lid. The inside is quite filthy, it's missing a valve knob and the fake-wood slat tray to the left. The igniter doesn't appear to work. I can't hook up a tank to see if the valves leak because it's got some weird connector I've never seen.

I don't see myself getting obsessive enough to do a full rehab. Just plan to clean it out well, get the right hose to attach a conventional tank, make sure it's structurally sound, see if I can get it working well (replacing parts as necessary), and then enjoy the heck out of it. Hopefully for many years. There are just three of us and I see no reason why we would ever need more grill than this lovely old thing.

A quick glance reveals no rust. A bit of moss here and there. The last owner said it works and he seemed an honest guy. Heck, he was giving it away. Not like he had anything to gain from lying. A friend gave him a newer grill and he was just paying it forward. I'll do the same with my CharBroil, assuming I can get this thing working well.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_110029.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110029.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211217_110024.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110024.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20211217_110012.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110012.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20211217_110009.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110009.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211217_012945.jpg
    IMG_20211217_012945.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20211217_012943.jpg
    IMG_20211217_012943.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20211217_012936.jpg
    IMG_20211217_012936.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211217_012935.jpg
    IMG_20211217_012935.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Congratulations on the grill and welcome to the club! I've been cooking on that same model grill for 23 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Parts like that regulator and the internals, such as the burner tubes and flavorizer bars are still readily available on Amazon and eBay.
You can also still find those knobs, they are Weber #00120. Feel free to ask any questions and you will get the right answers here.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the grill and welcome to the club! I've been cooking on that same model grill for 23 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Parts like that regulator and the internals, such as the burner tubes and flavorizer bars are still readily available on Amazon and eBay. You are missing three tables, the one that goes on the side and two that actually go on the bottom. One of the lower cross members is also missing. These things obviously won't affect functionality, I'm just pointing it out. You can also still find those knobs. Feel free to ask any questions and you will get the right answers here.
Thanks Steve. I have the two that go on the bottom and the cross member. I mentioned in my post that I took them off to get the grill up on my back deck and haven't taken a moment to put them back on. You're correct that I don't have the side table.

Figured the first thing is to get it cleaned up. Then, if everything still looks good, I'll buy the adapter to hook up a conventional tank (or a new hose with the correct adapter) and check for leaks. Then I'll turn it on and see if it burns well and evenly. Assuming I can get it working, then I'll replace the missing knob and the igniter. With regard to the side deck, I don't think those parts are available anymore but I can make one with real wood slats. I don't think I'm ambitious enough to replace all the slats to match since the others are in good shape. Yet another option is to keep my eyes open for another 1000 from which to get the missing side tray.

You'll get it working just fine, there really isn't too much to it once you get it apart and look at it. I would probably just buy a new hose and regulator. They aren't expensive and the one on your grill is the original, meaning it's over twenty years old at this point.

You'll get it working just fine, there really isn't too much to it once you get it apart and look at it. I would probably just buy a new hose and regulator. They aren't expensive and the one on your grill is the original, meaning it's over twenty years old at this point.
That's a really good point. You're right; it's $30 for the new hose. A bit more with tax and shipping but reasonable just the same. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome Roy,

Nice find. I agree with Steve's suggestion to buy a new hose and regulator.

I don't have a good inventory of spare parts, but I might have enough extra for a side table, maybe even the Z-bars to hold it. It will be after Christmas until I dig through things.

Welcome Roy,

Nice find. I agree with Steve's suggestion to buy a new hose and regulator.

I don't have a good inventory of spare parts, but I might have enough extra for a side table, maybe even the Z-bars to hold it. It will be after Christmas until I dig through things.
That's so kind of you, Dan. Really appreciate it.

I've found the non-weber brand hoses and regulators work just fine.

And your current hose will work with most tanks. Its just less convenient as you need a crescent wrench to connect it.
edit: I didn't see the quick connect fitting. Thanks @Steve Hoch

Last edited:
Here's a hose with regulator that I believe has the proper threaded fitting for your manifold.

The woman at Weber suggested this hose:

It's more expensive. Do you think the one you suggested would work just as well?
Don't be afraid to buy aftermarket parts. Most are fine, and quite a bit cheaper in a lot cases.

I've found the non-weber brand hoses and regulators work just fine.

And your current hose will work with most tanks. Its just less convenient as you need a crescent wrench to connect it.
His still has the original quick connect fitting so he has to at least get an adapter for it.

On the advice of you two fellas, I've just ordered the aftermarket hose. Thanks.

Between that and the Weber grill scraper, I'm up to a grand total of $29 (tax included). : )
Don't forget to put pipe dope on the threads when you install it, you don't want any leaks ☺

Here's the photo of the grill as listed on Facebook marketplace. As you can see, it has the bottom slats but is missing the side table and one knob.

Attachments

• 254023947_4793309270701606_9196550237336654391_n.png
    254023947_4793309270701606_9196550237336654391_n.png
    927.3 KB · Views: 12
I think the more experienced folks here ( I'm not in that club) will recommend pipe dope.

That said, I have used gas safe teflon tape before, but given a choice I'd use pipe dope.

Can anyone identify this part? Is it from the grill?

After unloading my find, this was on floor of the pickup truck. Couldn't see any obvious place where it connects.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_231707.jpg
    IMG_20211217_231707.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211217_231659.jpg
    IMG_20211217_231659.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 8

Back