An elevated grate that sits on the top 18.5" WSM cooking grate?

Jennifer

TVWBB Member
I am loving this 18.5" WSM--had used Mini WSM previously. I notice there is a lot of room in the dome, and I'm sure many of you have come up with an elevated grate that sits on top of the upper cooking grate. What would be the ideal height to raise it?

Hoping to seeing some photos, links or discussions of your creations or perhaps links to a good commercial product.

Thanks!

Thought I had a picture of the "dome grate" for my 22" wsm. It's simply the bottom grate of my 18" wsm with three big carriage bolts. They're double duty. They support a middle grate in my 18, and sit on the top grate in my 22" wsm. Now I know that you asked about a dome grate for the 18, but my point is that I can bet that a 14.5" Weber grate with three carriage bolts for supports would be perfect.

I don't have a picture, but I used the nuts and bolts method to do a grate about 3-4 inches above the top grate. The only thing I've ever used it for was ribs. I stopped using it when I learned to role the ribs. No cutting the ribs and no rib rack or extra grate to clean. I could also see it for doing chicken (like wings) but I've not done an wings on the WSM.

Jennifer;
Here are some ideas:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/cooking-grids-racks-extenders-pans/tiered-racks/

I can't tell you which will fit your 18.5 (or mine) but a phone call (after you try a search on here) may clear that up for you. Be sure and take measurements of your top grate before you call for best results.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Nice! Ty :)

Hi Jennifer!
For thin items like ribs, chops or chicken pcs, the easiest way is to purchase another top grate and flip it over like photo 1.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/increasecapacity.html

Tim

Ohh.. clever! Thanks :)

I don't have a picture, but I used the nuts and bolts method to do a grate about 3-4 inches above the top grate. The only thing I've ever used it for was ribs. I stopped using it when I learned to role the ribs. No cutting the ribs and no rib rack or extra grate to clean. I could also see it for doing chicken (like wings) but I've not done an wings on the WSM.

Thank you so much!

Thought I had a picture of the "dome grate" for my 22" wsm. It's simply the bottom grate of my 18" wsm with three big carriage bolts. They're double duty. They support a middle grate in my 18, and sit on the top grate in my 22" wsm. Now I know that you asked about a dome grate for the 18, but my point is that I can bet that a 14.5" Weber grate with three carriage bolts for supports would be perfect.

Sounds good!

Wow this is a really clever idea! :

3grates.jpg

I do something similar but use chunks of smoke wood instead of nuts and bolts.

Wow this is a really clever idea! :

3grates.jpg

It is, indeed. I was thinking of doing that for my 18" until I got my 22", but I like the versatility of unconnected grates. Also, scraping the connected grates would be a bit more labor intensive.

The bottom grate for my 18" that I mentioned above has carriage bolts that are a little larger so that an extra middle grate can sit on top of the bolt heads if in the 18" wsm. I turn it upside down for a dome grate in the 22", using the legs as supports. Works great for a bunch of chicken.

I finished my butt cook yesterday, so here's a picture of my bottom 18"wsm grate turned upside down. It's really easy to get out of my wsm, and the bolts don't get in the way since they're so far to the outside. (The bolts and hardware stay on all the time.) I occasionally use it on top of my 22" wsm like this for wings, but the dome doesn't quite seat as pictured on my 18". I guess it would if I readjusted it, because it's so close to fitting that you can't tell that the dome isn't seated all the way down by looking at it. As I mentioned though, a 14.5" Weber grate could be used as a dome rack in the 18.5" wsm with easier access to the stock top grate.

Why did you turn the grate upside down? I don't see the benefit of doing that. :confused:

I originally added the carriage bolts to support a middle grate in my 18". Then after getting my 22" I realized it could be used also as a dome grate for that cooker if I just turned it upside down.

I originally added the carriage bolts to support a middle grate in my 18". Then after getting my 22" I realized it could be used also as a dome grate for that cooker if I just turned it upside down.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense than doing it that way originally.

I just take one of those cooling racks with the folding legs and set it on the top grate with the lower grate on top of it.

Back