Already owned a WSM 18.5".. should I build a Mini?

Khanh Hoang

TVWBB Fan
I'm on a really tight budget, so a WSM 14.5" is out of the question. Being laid off from my last job (Regional Sales Engineer) and starting my new career (Real Estate Agent).. times are tough.. Plus with all of this free time, I've been picking up new hobbies; like knife making and getting into more hobby interests (since I didn't have the time when I was working).. so Karate, Archery and BBQing have the main focus.
Any who, been thinking of making a Mini WSM.. With all of the reviews, it seems like the fuel cost will be less and the smaller size makes it convenient. The cost will be the same as my WSM 18.5" since I got my 18.5" used and it cost me about $75 when it was said and done.

So here comes the questions:
Smokey Joe.. Silver or Gold? I read the gold does not have the ash build up.. but gold model are hard to find.. so most like I will have to buy new ($40)... Silver are plentiful on Craigslist and can be had for $15-$25...
I don't have a Jigsaw, so I have to get one.. cost about $15-$20
Will painting the pot gives it better insolation? is it required for better temp control?

I've never owned a genuine WSM, so take this with a healthy dose of salt, but I _love_ my mini.
Paint is optional, I didn't paint mine and have had no trouble at all dialing in and holding solid temps. I've cooked on it in 90 degree weather and also in 0 degree weather and other than using a LITTLE more fuel when cold, it's been great in all cases.
As far as gold vs silver, I had a silver sitting on the patio so I used it and just took a canned chicken can (flat, wide) & punched air holes around the base of it with a church key to form a block for the ash buildup problem. cost = $0.00 since I was going to use the chicken anyway.
I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with a silver, and in fact am considering doing exactly that to give away as x-mas gifts to a few people I cooked for this year that were impressed by the way the mini performed.

I built mine for right around $90 total in parts from Amazon and 1 trip to the hardware store for stainless bolts/nuts. All brand new. I used the Smokey Joe Gold, and I have no problems with ash at all. It's super portable, and can be used as a grill or a smoker. I haven't painted it, and it looks and works great as-is. I can hardly get the temp over 250 degrees if I try. It's an absolute chicken cooking machine. You can fit the entire smoker comfortably in the trunk of a sub-compact car.

Don't cut out the bottom like you see so many people do. What a tremendous waste. You want 2 grates and a terra cotta pan for heat dissipation and stable temps, and if you cut the entire bottom off then you won't have anything to hold up the terra cotta pan. Put a grate about 3-4" from the top with some stainless 1/4" bolts, a grate on the bottom of the tamale cooker where the aluminum is indented (the grate sits right on the ledge), and then a terra cotta plate below the bottom grate.

I used a 1" hole saw to make a series of equally spaced holes all across the bottom. I then put in 4 stainless bolts (about an inch long) with nuts so the bolt threads face up. This keeps the terra cotta pan slightly elevated off the bottom so air can flow through.

Don't cut out the bottom like you see so many people do. What a tremendous waste.

Thats a very bold post considering the vast majority of 'us' have done exactly that and wouldn't change a thing.
But drilling holes is the right thing to do? And you say this after stating you can barely get over 250 degrees.....
So, it's a rubber chicken cooking machine?!? lol

Go ahead and build one....

I did mine on a silver and it works for me. Plus they are on craiglist for cheap all the time.
Ask around someone has to know someone that has a jig saw. It will only take 2minutes to cut it.
I didn't paint mine but I don't think the paint helps with insulation or temp control.

Khanh,

One suggestion that may save you that $15-$20 on a jig saw... Ask your neighbors if one would cut it out for you. At worst it will cost you is a rack of ribs ;)

Thanks guys, I plan on still building one.. but I will take my time.. I picked up a Skil jigsaw yesterday and plan on getting the other materials...
I picked up a new toy yesterday.. I just could not pass on it.. it's Char Griller ACORN.. it came with BBQ tools (tong, brush, etc..) 17lb bag of lump, 4 bag of wood chips.. all for $60, I've been wanting to try a kamado style grill for a while and this one popped up

Don't forget to check out local thrift stores. I got both of my SJS's at a thrift store, $5 and $6 each. WRT cutting the bottom of the tamale steamer, I used a step drill to make a couple of access points and then just used some Wiss snips to cut along the layout line. Much neater cut, just hit it with some emery cloth and good to go.

I love my mini, but also picked up a 14.5 as the wife asked what I wanted for Christmas (of course it was too much money so I kicked in half). I used the gold. You can do it even cheaper if you look for a tamale pot at a yard sale.

here before painting

after

I love my mini, but also picked up a 14.5 as the wife asked what I wanted for Christmas (of course it was too much money so I kicked in half). I used the gold. You can do it even cheaper if you look for a tamale pot at a yard sale.

WOW! Nice Arsenal you have there...
I plan on getting the pot at my local walmart but since one of my hobbies is CL, estate and garage sales, I'll keep an eye out. Now that I have the jigsaw, I plan on doing the baking pan mod with the bent in tabs.. will keep you guys posted.

I have an 18.5" and decided to make a mini toward the end of summer. It was really fun to build, and I use it all the time now. It's so easy to use, and pumps out great food to boot.

I have an 18.5" and decided to make a mini toward the end of summer. It was really fun to build, and I use it all the time now. It's so easy to use, and pumps out great food to boot.

I think I just want to do it for the experience, know how and enjoyment of something you actually made yourself..
I had similar experiences with knife making, fletching arrows and making your own strings for recurve and longbows.

Thats a very bold post considering the vast majority of 'us' have done exactly that and wouldn't change a thing.
But drilling holes is the right thing to do? And you say this after stating you can barely get over 250 degrees.....
So, it's a rubber chicken cooking machine?!? lol

I didn't say it was the right thing to do, but I do feel it is the wrong way to build it. Many, many people building WSM Mini's cut holes, or cut out pie shapes and leave structure on the bottom.

It can get over 250, all I have to do is pull out the clay saucer. The point is I have the option to do so. If the entire bottom is cut out you have no option for a heat shield. You're cooking high & hot, not indirect because you don't have anything blocking the coals. It makes the heat differential between the top and bottom grates incredibly uneven, and most I have seen that follow this method don't run 2 grates at all.

I wish you'd have at least made a good point to the contrary at least, instead of just flinging crap at me.

Last edited:
I wish you'd have at least made a good point to the contrary at least, instead of just flinging crap at me.

Seriously? Geeze, where to begin. Or better yet, why? :rolleyes:
There's an entire forum folder dedicated to the mini and contrary to your points. But,,, here's my experience.

1) <<<Don't cut out the bottom like you see so many people do. What a tremendous waste. >>>
So I guess better than half of us are a 'waste' then. Yes, many people are drilling holes. Some even finish the job off after using it by removing the rest of the bottom. :p Pie shapes? I think I've seen one posted here. And in full disclosure - I'm not opposed to guys going with the drilled hole method. What I don't like is someone spewing their venom that their way is the best and the other is crap. Sorry, not crap --- a tremendous waste...

2) <<<I can hardly get the temp over 250 degrees if I try.>>>
Yes, that's due to a lack of airflow. You gotta remove the heat shield in order to go above 250? Weird. Not a smoker I want in my lineup...

3) <<<
you have no option for a heat shield>>>
Really?!? So everyone who cut the bottom out isn't using a heat shield. Care to show me a SINGLE post where that's the case? Every build I've seen has a heat shield, including the one on the main page of this forum. (and pretty much the model the vast majority have followed)
http://virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

4) <<<
You're cooking high & hot, not indirect>>>
So all those overnight butt cooks I've done have been high and hot. Funny as my maverick tells me differently. That and the pan full of grease I awaken to the following morning.

5) <<<
the heat differential between the top and bottom grates incredibly uneven>>>
Huh, interesting. Not sure how the wings or any other items I smoke end up being finished at the same time then. Must be magic.

6) <<<
most I have seen that follow this method don't run 2 grates at all.>>>
Much like the heat shield comment, just about every build I can recall was built with 2 grates. Mine has bolts for a 3rd, but I've never used 3 cooking grates. A lot of times I'll just use 1 rack. Nothing to do with "incredibly uneven" heat though. More like a vertical chicken or a 9 pound butt take up enough space and the sole reason I built the mini. If I wanted to do a lot of stuff, I'd fire up a bigger smoker.

Alright!!! It's done! Picked up a Smokey Joe off CL . I went with the Walmart Tamale pot and had to do minor adjustments.. need to find some thing suitable for a anti ash clogger.. Bottom vent mod.. just finding things I had in hand around the garage, took the weber thermometer off my WSM (since I plan on using the Maverick for most cooks).

it pays to save my wife old ruined cooking pans, I cut the handle off and will use the pan for a heat deflector...

bottom screws and bolts are stainless steel, upper level are zinc coated, I think it should be OK since I don't think I will be cooking anything in it over 400F.

Last edited:
I love my mini just did two really large racks of SL ribs and the came out perfect. Up to temp (275) in about 20 minuets top vent wide open bottom vent about 15-20% open sat at 275 the whole cook. Big plus using the minion methode used only about 1/2 chimney of KBB. You're really going to like your new toy.

WOW! Initial run with a chimney full of lite coals, the mini got up to 500F on my stick thermometer (thru vent holes and 500F maxes out my stick therm), the one on the cooker read 460F and maintianing. No leaks!!! very impress.. goal is to burn off all manufacturing residue.. next will be the grease burn...

Also, note, I will change the adjustment rod on the top vent, it's only 3" long but with the 500F, it is hot to the touch.. Might have to add wood handle or something..

Last edited:

Back