Already owned a WSM 18.5".. should I build a Mini?

Khanh Hoang;
Welcome to the club!! I have been in on four builds, now and love my little mini even tho' I have an 18.5" WSM.

I used the knob for the steamer lid installed on my top vent and it works perfectly:

My build was done on the Smokey Joe Gold but one I helped my son-in-law do was done on his existing Smokey Joe Silver. We added an ash shield (we went to the super market and bought a can of chicken that was exactly the right height and diameter to perfectly cover the holes over the bottom vent. We used a beer can opener to make vent holes. It worked perfectly and the chicken made good chicken salad. Win-win!

We have done several cooks on both the Golds and Silver and both will make FINE smokers, without question.

As a matter of interest, we cut out the bottoms of all four smokers. We used Ace Hardware's portable grill for the heat shield and it works perfectly. We used NO terra cotta saucer nor water pan and don't really need it. Holding temperature is not a problem. Further, we can get it up to high temperature for chicken when necessary without alteration. On all of them we installed two food grates and a third one can be installed at the very top of the steamer pot if needed.

We have done chicken, pork roasts, and lots of ribs without issue. It is amazing how little charcoal it takes.

I predict you will LOVE your new mini-smoker.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

Back