Alder smoked salmon!

Excellent salmon Morgan and thanks for the procedure! I will be definitely trying it your way
the next time I smoke salmon.

We're probably going to fish out of Petersburg. We want to try the self-guided thing. Not only will it be fun, but the halibut slot limit doesn't apply to self-guided :D I've only fished Alaska once, but my dad has been up there a bunch. I wish it was this year, but it just didn't work out.

Morgan thanks for the education! They look truly delicious and you just know I'm going to try some following your advice.

We're probably going to fish out of Petersburg. We want to try the self-guided thing. Not only will it be fun, but the halibut slot limit doesn't apply to self-guided :D I've only fished Alaska once, but my dad has been up there a bunch. I wish it was this year, but it just didn't work out.

Nice...I love Petersburg!! Super town...good fishing...that's the Norway of Alaska(every year they have what called the little Norway fest!) good times...also think about Sitka...good fishing there as well!

Best looking smoked salmon I have ever seen. Let me send you my address and I will even pay for postage. Very....very nice job!

Morgan, a co-worker is on the board of Salmon-A-Rama (also in competition) out of Racine on Lake Michigan (ends tomorrow).
Hopefully he'll bring back some prize catch, I'd love to try your smoke method (your last photo is AWESOME!)

I hope so too Jim...you will love it!!

Thanks everyone for the input and replies...never though a little smoked fish would get so much attention!!

Does the snake method allow you to get such low temperature? I tried salmon couldn't keep the temp low enough. And how were your vents?

Could you comment on how you can it please?? I tried it once in 1/2 pint jars and used a little
vinegar, wasn't too bad but could have been better I think.

I will have to try this. Looks very nice.
I've gone even lower than you. Cold smoking at temps where the proteines are unchanged can get you fantastic results as well. I hope I do not intrude too much with this picture:

1153393.jpeg

This is cured, raw cold smoked salmon, at temps around 70 f.

Last edited:
Does the snake method allow you to get such low temperature? I tried salmon couldn't keep the temp low enough. And how were your vents?

Vents were wide open...probably 61 and overcast last nite..quite humid...yes a single layer of coals will keep the temps real low..I burned thru the first snake in about 8 hours an added more coals to the snake at that point...works like a charm! If you wanted a bit more heat I would go like 2 or 3 deep!

I will have to try this. Looks very nice.
I've gone even lower than you. Cold smoking at temps where the proteines are unchanged can get you fantastic results as well. I hope I do not intrude too much with this picture:

1153393.jpeg

This is cured, raw cold smoked salmon, at temps around 70 f.

Geir not at all buddy...actually I had your post bookmarked cause I was wanting to give this a shot but I went with a little higher heat cause I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat it all myself(my wife has a thing about things being cooked!)

I did have some little pieces of mine early on in the smoke and it was also good and resembled your cured fish! I will be giving this a shot...I actually think that I can pull it of with my same smoker setup when the temps get colder this fall!

Appreciate your feedback!!

Could you comment on how you can it please?? I tried it once in 1/2 pint jars and used a little
vinegar, wasn't too bad but could have been better I think.

Tom I'm no expert on canning whatsoever...I was going to do the same 1/2 pint wife mouth jars and process with a small amount of olive oil (although I have read smoked salmon really requires no liquid)

I may have to try it on my next batch cause this batch ain't going to be around too much longer!!

It must be nice to wake up and think "I feel like salmon for dinner and just go and catch it! I'm jealous, harder and harder to find Salmon that is wild and not farmed. That fish looks great I can just taste the bagel now

Simply beautiful salmon Morgan!
It's been years since I smoked fish on my (long gone) Little Chief smoker.
Smoked fish dip on Ritz crackers is the bomb!

I agree - your shot of the one cut open is about perfect. Looks moist but not mushy inside and sugary firm on the outside- Outstanding. What type of salmon are those? Even the little guy is fat!

I've gotta say I'm a little jealous. Great post from beginning to end. From the whole fish to the finished product really nice job!

Back