Alder smoked salmon!

I agree - your shot of the one cut open is about perfect. Looks moist but not mushy inside and sugary firm on the outside- Outstanding. What type of salmon are those? Even the little guy is fat!

Peter the one on the right and small one are coho or silvers and the left top is a small king (right at 28 inches) I only smoked the coho...king is destined for dinners!

Pile me on the jealousy wagon. We can all see why you put up with the lovely weather you enjoy, Morgan. You would laugh until you cried if I told you how much we pay for that little cryo-vacc'ed puck of SS that we gets to eat. :(

Got up at 4 am...checked the fish...temp was at 142 and just about at the end if my snake so I added some more and let it go for a bit more!!
null-148.jpg

At about 12 hours I pulled some of the thinner pieces and let the thicker ones go for 14!
Turned out nice and smoky!!
null-149.jpg

Not to salty...moist...this will make perfect snacks!! Smoked salmon dip, smoked salmon Alfredo, good in salad..heck I had some with coffee this morning!!
This will last about 10 days in the fridge or 3 weeks vacuumed packed (well not in my fridge!)
I will use some this weekend and probably can the rest up!

You can freeze it too..good for 6 months or so!

Hope you give this a try!! Good stuff!

Take care!

Thanks for posting this!!! I gave this a shot this weekend and I think I succeeded. I brined over night Friday. Let dry all day yesterday. Then smoked overnight last night. Kept my pit between 125-165 throughout and pulled salmon at around 140. I did it for a party this afternoon, but not sure how to present. I am planning on serving with crackers and I think a plain whipped cream cheese. However, I'm not sure how to leave the fish out. Cubed, shredded, whole? I have a about 5-6 lbs worth of salmon. I tried the first piece I pulled off this morning at various times and it was really, REALLY good. Tried it warm right off the grill, tried it at cool room temp an hour later, both in chunks and shredded pieces. The "bark" was a nice texture, not too rubbery. I got it from Costco so there was no skin and no bones. It's sitting as large fillets in my fridge as seen in the original post. I'll be bringing it to party in big ziplock backs, again just not sure how to present. Thanks again!

Thanks for posting this!!! I gave this a shot this weekend and I think I succeeded. I brined over night Friday. Let dry all day yesterday. Then smoked overnight last night. Kept my pit between 125-165 throughout and pulled salmon at around 140. I did it for a party this afternoon, but not sure how to present. I am planning on serving with crackers and I think a plain whipped cream cheese. However, I'm not sure how to leave the fish out. Cubed, shredded, whole? I have a about 5-6 lbs worth of salmon. I tried the first piece I pulled off this morning at various times and it was really, REALLY good. Tried it warm right off the grill, tried it at cool room temp an hour later, both in chunks and shredded pieces. The "bark" was a nice texture, not too rubbery. I got it from Costco so there was no skin and no bones. It's sitting as large fillets in my fridge as seen in the original post. I'll be bringing it to party in big ziplock backs, again just not sure how to present. Thanks again!

I did a hot(er) smoked salmon for our Kentucky derby party and I bought bagels and cream cheese with optional capers and red onion and served it whole on a platter. Big hit

Nice! I'm using this for an appetizer, so I don't want people filled up with bagels. I still have to grab cream cheese on way to the party, I think I'll grab some capers too, thanks!

That's some great looking salmon. I'm not much of a fish person, but that does look good.

Back