Alaskan Halibut

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
They've been advertising fresh Alaskan Halibut up here so we went in to our one and only fish market and checked it out. They had some beautiful fillets on ice for $24.99 a pound. Yikes! Couldn't resist and bought one that hovered right around 1 1/2 lbs. Sided it up with some crispy baby red potatoes and some garlic asparagus.

It was expensive but well worth it.

enhance

Prepped the sides earlier in the day.

enhance

Potatoes needed about 45 minutes so put them on first.

enhance

About half hour later the asparagus.

enhance

Grilled the entire fillet for the two of us.

enhance

Rubbed it down with a mixture of butter, lemon juice, onion powder, dried parsley, dill weed, sugar, salt and pepper.

enhance

As soon as the potatoes and asparagus were done I threw on the halibut.

enhance

enhance

After I put the fish on for a few seconds I smoothed out the butter and seasoning over the entire fillets. It had kind of clumped in the fridge. Sorry about the steam and smoke.

enhance

Flip. Due to thickness of fillet, a little over an inch, I gave it around 4 to 5 minutes a side.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up. Once again, I failed to top the potatoes with the chopped parsley, which is still sitting in the fridge.

enhance

The halibut was outstanding. There's not a crumb left. The grillgrates are amazing. The sear was perfect but the inside of the meat was moist and flaky. I really enjoy the dill in the butter mixture. Have a good week everyone and thanks for looking.

Cliff, my list is almost as long as my arm!
I have a recipe for a soy sesame halibut, “somewhere!”
If I find it, I’ll share!

I'm not a big fish guy but I do like halibut and that is one recipe I'd do in a heartbeat. Very nice cook Cliff.

I love dill too. The price is expensive until considering what you'd have paid/gotten at a restaurant. Nice cook :)

Excellent cook on those GrillGrates!!! Meal looks fantastic!! I also enjoy the dill flavor on fish. Great plate picture.

Nice looking meal!
Graduated high school up in Soldotna and spent some time as a deck hand on a Halibut boat in Homer.
We use to get commercial licenses and go out during the openings to stock up the freezers. Still one of my favorite ways to have halibut is cut the fillet up to bite size pieces, throw it under a high tempt broiler, and dip in butter like lobster.

Here you go boss,

Alaskan Halibut with sesame seeds!
1-large egg
3-Tbsp. Soy sauce
4-Halibut steaks (or however many you might need)
1/3-Cup sesame seeds (I like a mix with some dark ones)
3-tsp. Sesame oil
Cilantro (chiffonade)
Lime wedges

Mix egg and soy sauce
Coat fish
Dredge in seeds
Bake @ 450 ten minutes per inch of thickness (as you see fit)
Plate
Drizzle with sesame oil
Garnish with cilantro and lime wedge!

I don’t use third party hosting for photos, just too lazy.
I have not made this in probably ten years but, I should!

Cliff, I got it when I was a road rep for a food service packaging company, while I was in the waiting room a semi pulled out on a ramp and tipped almost straight up! The purchasing agent apcame out and saw me mesmerized and just said, “Salt, three or four times a day”
I put my jaw back on place and we had a very nice time sorting out what I could do for them.
One of the more fun trips, tough job, I do not miss that one at all.

Man Cliff, you nailed that one. Love halibut and that recipe sounds fantastic. Going to give that one a try.

Back