Al Pastor

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We love these tacos. Been really hard to get a Boston Butt lately, so I jumped on it when I finally got one. Unfortunately, not very fatty, so it ran a little dry. Still, not too bad if I don't say so myself. Slide show, slide left or use right arrow

If you want to buy the platter

Note the last photo of it. Look familar? :)

Attachments

• Smoked Al Pastor - Hey Grill, Hey.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 29
We love these tacos. Been really hard to get a Boston Butt lately, so I jumped on it when I finally got one. Unfortunately, not very fatty, so it ran a little dry. Still, not too bad if I don't say so myself. Slide show, slide left or use right arrow

Thanks for posting the recipe and photos- something I didn’t know about but will try it out.

Side note- slightly disappointed no “adult imagery”…jk IMG_6794.jpeg

Looks delicious ChuckO, Love Al Pastor tacos. Sure you didn't retire early....you have been posting a lot of
awesome cooks lately.

What was the total time and temp on the smokefire?
No pineapple?
Because the butt didn't have much fat, I cooked them at 250 in the SF. The smaller one was done in 3 hours and the other took 4 hours. The recipe calls for 4 hours at 275, but had I cooked these at 275 they would have been done in two hours and probably dry and tough. I had pineapple chunks, and I smoked some in a small bowl. I'm the only one who likes pineapple (tacos, not pizza) so I didn't do a whole pineapple.

Tonight's leftovers. Slideshow, ya the drill

Anyone know of any “Al paster skewer” hacks?

I want to try this but don’t necessarily want more gadgets.

I have a nice set of stainless steel skewers with the round loop end- thinking about ways to utilize these.

I have a rotisserie for the gasser, but want to try this with charcoal.

Thanks in advance.

I have a nice set of stainless steel skewers with the round loop end- thinking about ways to utilize these.

Thanks in advance.
I've used kabob skewers, might take 3 maybe four to do the job. See the photos starting at the sixth in this thread

Thanks in advance.
Done it already:

I've used kabob skewers, might take 3 maybe four to do the job. See the photos starting at the sixth in this thread

Thank you Chuck- that’s what I will do.

Done it already:

Thanks Brett- A rotisserie for the WSC is in my future for just such occasions, the only question is how far in the future. And I am going to the store to get some hefeweizen, lol- my favorite German beer.

If you are looking for some really good flour tortillas without any preservatives and only 5 ingredients, I found these fresh ones in the fridge section at Walmart. They take about a minute to cook in a medium hot fry pan and come out warm, soft, and flexible.
1695747123060.png 1695747155621.png

Thanks for the link on the platter! The shorter spear will fit on a 14" WSM (edit to add top rack. That photo shows a 3 lb boneless butt roast. When I have forethought to have my butcher slice a full butt, I will either use the longer spear and bottom rack... or a different smoker altogether.)

Attachments

• PXL_20231008_151523183.jpg
    PXL_20231008_151523183.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231008_151309324.jpg
    PXL_20231008_151309324.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8

Back