After the thaw

I did pork steak tonight too! Too hungry for pix! It will be 40 degrees mid week! The sunset is getting later, grilling season is in the first trimester!
Learning the 18” kettle a bit, brought up with 22” so, this is a little different.
We shall see how this all works over the summer.
Typically, I seem to use the 18 mostly as a “holding oven” for larger gatherings not as a primary cooking unit.
First world issue!

Last edited:
I haven't had pork steaks in a while, a buddy of mine who I first introduced pork steaks to said our local Walmart is now regularly stocking them. I am going to look for them the next time I go. He also said they justed stocked up on RO All Natural.

Seems fitting that your first cook in two weeks is one of your go-to's, Bob! Looks great, though I'd keep the shorts and t-shirts in the drawer for at least another week or two! :)

R

Bob,
I haven't been able to stop thinking about making some pork steaks since this post, so when my wife needed more lunch meat for her standard lunch (chicken and swiss melt on a toasted and steamed bun) that I make her, I literally shoved out the driveway of the few inches of fresh snow we got today and went to the butcher shoppe and got the lunch meat and 2 pork shoulder steaks!!! I actually just put them in the freezer because I am planning a whole pork shoulder tonight or tomorrow night, but I feel better knowing they are in the house for a in the very near future cook!!!

Last edited:
"After the thaw"??? It sure doesn't look like much of a thaw with all that snow in the first photo.🥶 ;) But then I haven't experienced an entire Midwestern winter in 30 years. When it goes below 50 I'm reach for the buttons that turn on the heated seats and steering wheel in my car.

Those pork steaks look fantastic.

OK, now this is freaking me out. Yesterday, DH found a recipe that had slipped between folders and had been there for heaven knows how long. He said, this sounds good, I want to make it soon. He went shopping today and came home with 2 big, beautiful looking PORK STEAKS for the recipe. It is called "Pork with Lentils and Spinach". It will be tonights dinner. I will be posting it on the Pork forum.

OK, now this is freaking me out. Yesterday, DH found a recipe that had slipped between folders and had been there for heaven knows how long. He said, this sounds good, I want to make it soon. He went shopping today and came home with 2 big, beautiful looking PORK STEAKS for the recipe. It is called "Pork with Lentils and Spinach". It will be tonights dinner. I will be posting it on the Pork forum.
Well, I don't think I will be posting this recipe. I just was not too happy with it. Boy, do I miss the pork from the ol' days.

Well, I don't think I will be posting this recipe. I just was not too happy with it. Boy, do I miss the pork from the ol' days.
I get it. I can tell a big difference between standard issue grocery store meat and meat sourced from a local meat shoppe.

Great looking pork streaks Bob! I fired up a 22 kettle last night since we reached 54 degrees and grilled some burgers. Great lighting charcoal again and eating some good grilled grub. Rest of our snow should melt today.

I get it. I can tell a big difference between standard issue grocery store meat and meat sourced from a local meat shoppe.
So true Bryan, ours was from Publix.

Strange tho, the other night DH cooked me liver from the local butcher and it was terrible. What do we have to do? Raise our own food?

Don't know how I missed this but those steaks look great Bob. Got a pork shoulder thawing I got next to nothing and defrosting it now. Going to cut some steaks off of it and grind the rest.
Hasn't been too cold here but windy as hell so haven't done any grilling in a while.

Back