Advice on first kettle purchase

Matt Grabill

TVWBB Fan
Now that I am completely addicted to my 18.5 WSM,I feel it is time to add a kettle. Have always had a gasser and have my eye on a 22.5 OTG in Copper.My question is it worth the extra $ to go from silver to gold? Does the ash catcher work well or affect performance ? I like that the gold has a thermometer and hinged grates.Also,saw that the 26.75 has a lid holder.Does the gold have any type of holder? Probably silly questions but I figured you all will steer me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance !!
Matt

I've had both. I like the hinged grates and ash catcher on the gold, but it really isn't a big deal. I generally buy kettles used off of craigslist. I think I got my current gold for $35. However, I understand the appeal of new. I believe that you can get a lid holder as an add on for the 22.5. Just looking at the prices from home depot, a gold is $50 more than a silver. My guess is that the grate (~18) and thermometer (~20) would be comparable or more. The lid holder is ~ 25. I don't know that you really need the thermometer, though.

Good luck in making a decision and let us know what you go with.

Brett

Get a gold the extras are worth it whether it is new or off cragslist.
Kettles are great performers are good also. But a kettle will do just fine.

The work table, gas assist (propane charcoal starting system) and lid bale are all nice features of the Performer.

I do like the closed ash collection system of the Gold better than the open tray of the Silver.
All kettle lids have an internal hook for hanging off the edge of the bowl...it is a little sketchy and requires careful action to get the hook engaged and not slam the aluminum leg below.

The lid bale lid holder (wire loop) can be added by a handy end user.
Get your hole locations from an existing kettle with bale and use a step bit (Uni-Bit) for punching holes through the kettle.
Less chance of chipping porcelain using a step bit.....go slowly and don't over bore !

Last edited:
I had an OTS and now I have a performer and where I live we have pretty steady winds and a bone dry environment with a lot of open flammable dry grass areas. I really never felt safe with the open ash catcher on the OTS with the winds here. Now with the ash bucket there is a much less chance of embers blowing out. Both cook the same so other then that and the performers table and oh yes the gas igniter just love that feature there isn't much difference.

Get the performer..if you get a standard kettle you will want one later so if you have the funds and room I would start with the performer..gas assist is awesome, nice storage and work surface!

Just do it!!

Personally I prefer the Performer.
At the very least go for the gold.

beefU_grillingTips.png

Hi Matt,

My suggestion to you (like what has been said before me) is to go with the Gas Assist Performer. You should grab one now off of CL, before the grill season gets everyone else excited as well. If you miss it, stay patient and you will find someone (thats moving) that is selling one between now and the end of summer on CL. You can get a very very clean Performer with Gas Assist (at least around here) for ~$100-$125. The cheaper fully functional ones disapprear very fast. Hands down for everything that the Performer has to offer, go with it. It will be the only Weber Kettle machine that you will ever need. Good Luck.

Matt,
Craiglist is where I got my performer if you have the time to wait you can get one for the price of a gold or less.
If you have the room a performer is the way to go. It has it all.

Prices on CL in my area for used Performers are currently $150 to $250. Nicest one was 2yrs old($250) and others were a little rough.Saw one that had a 5lb propane bottle,any idea how old that might be?It looked like it needed all new grates. Did find a brand new OT Platinum for $165 in black.....that got my attention

Last edited:
Now that I am completely addicted to my 18.5 WSM,I feel it is time to add a kettle. Have always had a gasser and have my eye on a 22.5 OTG in Copper.My question is it worth the extra $ to go from silver to gold? Does the ash catcher work well or affect performance ? I like that the gold has a thermometer and hinged grates.Also,saw that the 26.75 has a lid holder.Does the gold have any type of holder? Probably silly questions but I figured you all will steer me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance !!
Matt

The gold is definitely worth the extra cash. The extra handle on the bowl is useful if you need to pick it up for transport, and makes hooking the lid easier than trying to line it up with the edge of the bowl.
The ash catcher besides being a safer method than just a shallow pan, also gives you the option of making marks with a sharpie so you can tell quickly with a glance, when your vents are 1/4-1/2-3/4 open.
You can always add the slide-aside later on like some of us do.
http://store.weber.com/items/detail/1399
The hinged grate is nice, but you can buy one from HD or Ace and upgrade any kettle.

Tim

You won't lose which ever you decide on getting.I have 2 kettles (22.5) and wish I had tables for them because it does make life on the grill easier, but me not having tables for my kettles gave me a wonderful reason to make a BBQ area just for all my equipment which will have a roof and 3 foot walls which will double as benches and a counter top.good luck on what ever choice you make

Imo, the 26.75 OTG should be your choise. It has plenty of room, and square inches are never enough. More, you can grill, you can cook indirect but it works as a water smoker too, using fuse/snake Minion method and an inox steel round spacer and a pizza pan on top.

IMG_3910 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_3911 di BBQness, su Flickr

I am not a huge fan of the Performer 2nd generation plastic tables.
Here's one that owner improved with a piece of counter top from IKEA.
Looks very snazzy...

2012-0723_grill_01small.jpg

So if you find a 2nd gen Performer with a good kettle but a less-than-desirable table, there is hope.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input. I just placed my order for a Performer Platinum in Copper !! May have it tomorrow....steaks are waiting !! Probably gonna end up with a Smokey Joe Gold also to take to the beach later this summer.Hi,my name is Matt and I have a problem..........!!

Back