Advice on first kettle purchase

happy-jumping-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks for everyone's input. I just placed my order for a Performer Platinum in Copper !! May have it tomorrow....steaks are waiting !! Probably gonna end up with a Smokey Joe Gold also to take to the beach later this summer.Hi,my name is Matt and I have a problem..........!!

Good choice - you'll not regret it. Just got a crimson Performer myself..........it was a tough colour choice between it and the copper - CONGRATS.

Spend some time over in the portable grill section reading up on Smokeys. If you want to build a mini smoker, the gold is good choice. If you primarily want a grill, I hear the silver is better for hotter cooks due to the difference in it's bottom vent vs. the gold - so I hear. I'm looking at one too but may go with the Jumbo.

Last edited:
I read that also about temperature difference between the two.I was thinking the gold would be less messy in wind without ash dropping out the bottom and I think you can work with lid placement to help control temps.I like the lid clamp/holder feature too.Don't think you could go wrong with either.

I am not a huge fan of the Performer 2nd generation plastic tables.
Here's one that owner improved with a piece of counter top from IKEA.
Looks very snazzy...

2012-0723_grill_01small.jpg

So if you find a 2nd gen Performer with a good kettle but a less-than-desirable table, there is hope.

Me too! Just got a Performer Platinum on CL for $150, truly almost new. Love this wooden table, guess I'm going to IKEA this weekend.
2 questions - what is the slot that runs the length of the front between the Weber logo and the tool hooks? Is it for mounting accessories, like what appears to be a baster/mop above?
Next - I'm terrified of scratching the enamel by placing it in the lid holder, it seems like the metal loop could do some damage, anybody ever hear of this happening?

Thanks for everyone's input. I just placed my order for a Performer Platinum in Copper !! May have it tomorrow....steaks are waiting !! Probably gonna end up with a Smokey Joe Gold also to take to the beach later this summer.Hi,my name is Matt and I have a problem..........!!

Congrats to the start of a great sickness that lasts a life time. Good choice.

Me too! Just got a Performer Platinum on CL for $150, truly almost new. Love this wooden table, guess I'm going to IKEA this weekend.
2 questions - what is the slot that runs the length of the front between the Weber logo and the tool hooks? Is it for mounting accessories, like what appears to be a baster/mop above?
Next - I'm terrified of scratching the enamel by placing it in the lid holder, it seems like the metal loop could do some damage, anybody ever hear of this happening?

OK - dork alert. The "slot" is just painted on. My bad...

Back