Adjustments for a small pork shoulder

ChrisAmico

I have a meat share (Walden) that sent us a couple small cuts of pork shoulder: 3 lbs, 2 lbs and 1 lb. I'm planning on throwing them all on the smoker at once. I figure no sense lighting the smoker for just a pound of meat, and it's easy to save leftovers.

I'm a little nervous that the one-pound cut is going to burn or dry out if I'm not careful. Any advice on how to handle it?

I don't have experience with anything that small but I like Bruno's recommendation. Should you also put it on later?

Good luck!

Either follow the Bruno theorem or just start taking the, off as they reach temperature, foiling and toweling into a cooler as you go.

That’s a good thought. I think the kids are set on pulled pork sandwiches, though.
Last time I did pork shoulder I had some chicken wing sized trimmings that came off earlier and my kiddo loved them.

Maybe try that on your kids as a teaser bite or two.

If I'm going to smoke something and have several pieces that are different weights I put the biggest on first and then the next one and the smallest one last

Put them on all together. Meat probe in the smallest one. Once that's done, take it off and wrap it in foil & towels and into a cool box.
Stick the probe in the 2lb-er.....repeat.
Or, if you have three meat probes, (some of us do), stick a probe in each one and just plug in the next size up.

Put them on all together. Meat probe in the smallest one. Once that's done, take it off and wrap it in foil & towels and into a cool box.
Stick the probe in the 2lb-er.....repeat.
Or, if you have three meat probes, (some of us do), stick a probe in each one and just plug in the next size up.
Yes, some of us have stock of probes and equipment we have forgotten about for years!😉

Back