ABTs - How do you do them?

Chuck-roaniecowpony

TVWBB Super Fan
I just started making ABTs recently. I'm not sure why I ignored them all these years. Maybe it was that I was thinking they'd be really hot, and I'm not big on really hot. Turns out, they're not hot at all.

So, the two times I've made them, I stuffed them with mild cheddar, gouda, and pulled pork, and wrapped them with bacon. I used pulled pork because I forgot to get some lil smokey links, that the recipes I've seen called for. The first time, I split the raw jalapenos in half, down the middle, scraped out the placenta (pith) and seeds, then put what little stuffing I could manage on the "half shell" and wrapped with bacon, then cooked at 450F indirect with a bit of cherry. The second time I made them, I cut thru one wall, length-wise, scraped out the placenta and stuffed, cooked at 500F for about 20 mins. Both were cooked nicely with slightly crisp bacon.

While they were very tasty, I just think they needed more cheese than I could get in there (and keep in there during the cook). My wife said she liked the low amount of cheese and the pulled pork inside. I'm still seeking something more.

So, how do you do them?

Atomic Buffalo Turd or stuffed Jalapeños. I mix softened cream cheese with shredded cheese and little smokies bits.

I stuff the peppers with a 50/50 mix of smoked cream cheese and sharp cheddar, wrap in bacon, sprinkle on some rub and dribble a bit of sauce on them when they come off the grill. In the past I've used Lit'l Smokies and cheddar, but like the cheese mix better. If you can find some big Jalapeños, you can insert an apple corer through the stem end to hollow them out and fit a boat load of goodies in them.

I keep mine simple, and we don't like much heat. I core them, fill with some seasoned cream cheese
and shredded cheddar cheese. Wrap with bacon and put on the grill in a pepper rack.
Sometimes I cut the japs in half, fill as above and wrap with half a piece of bacon. Those go on the grill on
a cookie sheet or such. The halves are easier for most people to eat but they do tend to lose more cheese.

I usually try to "par" cook the bacon in microwave for a bit, makes it easier for the bacon to crisp up.

I tried adding meat a couple times but, like Bob, we prefer them with just the cheese inside.

I like them with some cream cheese and sharp cheddar mix and a precooked shrimp stuffed in them. Wrap them with thin bacon and cook them until they're good done
Shrimp, that's off the beaten path. Sounds great. I like the thin bacon idea too. All I had was thick sliced. I think it was too much meat with the pulled pork stuffing.

Never heard them called that LOL. We have a nice little grocery in our village here with a small scale butcher shop as well. They sell them. Though the way they prep them is slicing the jalopies in half length wise and stuffing the half. I grill them on parchment paper

Never heard them called that LOL. We have a nice little grocery in our village here with a small scale butcher shop as well. They sell them. Though the way they prep them is slicing the jalopies in half length wise and stuffing the half. I grill them on parchment paper
I've always done them that way, LM. Easier to stuff, and I find the filling is less likely to come out (since I don't have a stand to make the peppers stand upright.) Straight on the grill for me.....I find that they nestle nicely into the space between the grates. :)

R

I'm tooling up. I ordered a 24 hole vertical stand and a couple coring tools. I want to try filling them without splitting.

Anyone wrap them with something other than bacon? When I was a kid, I recall my father putting salami and/or pepperoni in the oven. Man, was that good.

Love me some abt's! I do em like most others here: cream cheese, shredded cheese, wrap the halves with bacon & maybe some bbq rub.
I've never understood putting a Lil smokey inside - you've already got your protein/meat group covered (literally & figuratively) with the bacon. A Lil smokey just takes up space - space that could be filled with cheesy goodness!

I use some leftover brisket, cream cheese, etc. I have a rack that I cook bacon on that I use anymore, I can set that straight on the grill and not fiddle with individual handling. Another treat in the same vein are tater tot’s wrapped with sliced jalapeño and bacon. If you pull the bacon a little they seem to stick together pretty well. Big hits!

I use some leftover brisket, cream cheese, etc. I have a rack that I cook bacon on that I use anymore, I can set that straight on the grill and not fiddle with individual handling. Another treat in the same vein are tater tot’s wrapped with sliced jalapeño and bacon. If you pull the bacon a little they seem to stick together pretty well. Big hits!
Oh man I love those, may do some with my poppers.

Last edited:

Back