Aaron Franklin style Turkey

IMG_1242.jpg

If you haven't tried this recipe, you should give it a shot. Sorry about the poor photo, I should have flipped it for the shot. Basically, remove the skin, season the turkey breast with your favorite rub or 70/30 mix of pepper/salt. Keep it light on the salt. BBQ at 275 until the internal temp is 140-145, then wrap in tinfoil and cover with butter (they recommend a quarter pound, I think I used about 1/2 of that), then continue cooking until breasts read about 155-160 (the meat will continue cooking and temp will rise to safety zone), then remove from the cooker and let rest. The turkey was amazing!!!

Looks great! He smoked turkey in 1 episode of his PBS show (which he really needs to start recording again) and I was surprised to learn that it's on his menu.

One of the first things I tried on the SmokeFire, it was amazing and will be making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table this year.
0A63E861-39F4-4D1D-8771-BD7282E48308.pngCBF40D8A-DFB8-4DD8-BB79-9D92DAE9C89D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, it looks really tasty. My family loves smoked turkey breast's, will be trying this soon.

It had a smoked turkey pastrami vibe going on. It was awesome. Rich if you ever come down the peninsula check out Papes meats. Well once the hellish quarantine is over.

It had a smoked turkey pastrami vibe going on. It was awesome. Rich if you ever come down the peninsula check out Papes meats. Well once the hellish quarantine is over.
I've been to Papes, great place (my neighbor grew up going there, and turned me onto them.) We've got a "artisan" butcher in Redwood City, too. Gambrel's on Main St. Not cheap, but the meat is great, and Ben is a stellar guy.

R

this looks awesome and i would love to try! Do you buy a bone in skin on turkey breast and then debone and deskin? How do you de-bone a turkey breast?

I asked my butcher for a boneless skinless Turkey breast, I’m pretty sure he had them deboned already with skin on.

Last edited:
As great as the turkey BSB looks I have to wonder if it might be even better if it was left on the bone, and if AF uses boneless at least partially because it's easier to work with in a restaurant setting (his book doesn't say why).

this looks awesome and i would love to try! Do you buy a bone in skin on turkey breast and then debone and deskin? How do you de-bone a turkey breast?
Yes, I debone/deskin it myself. Same anatomy as a chicken or pheasant, so it is pretty easy to do. I made 2. Only took a picture of one, though.

Back