A tribute to my dad..Old school carne asada

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
When I was growing up my best memories were my dad grilling carne asada on the weekends. My uncles...4 of them would come over the house drink and play cards (conquian) a mexican version of Gin. Seasoning the meat was easy salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. As he grilled it he would pour beer over it....Usually what he was drinking in his hand Budweiser or Michelob. An onion in a foil with pepper and salt. Hot dogs for the kids..No buns. We would run up and it was handed to us of the grill. Jalapeño peppers grilled. We had no tables or anything everyone would stand or sit where they could. Eating carne asada tacos right off the grill.

Thanks for looking....

1355366595.jpg

1355366598.jpg

1355366604.jpg

1355366609.jpg

My father is with me but I dont see him to often.

Last edited:
Nice cook. Interesting that when we smell certain smells or taste a certain tastes how it brings the memories back. I think that's probably why I like to cook... because my Grandfather and father did back in Texas. cheers!

Great looking plate of food Tony! I really like the way you did the onions. Did you add anything else to the onions besides the salt and pepper?
From the photo it looks like they are in melted butter.

Tony, great post. As Dwain has said, it's funny how the memories of our foods bring back other memories. That to me is what makes your post so special. The love you have for your father is all over this post. Thanks for sharing this one.

Great looking plate of food Tony! I really like the way you did the onions. Did you add anything else to the onions besides the salt and pepper?
From the photo it looks like they are in melted butter.

Before I wrapped the onions I added a little corn oil.

Makes me think of my dad (who's been gone almost 15 years). He would grill on a Char-Broil or Weber, using KBB and cooking Safeway US Choice sirloins. Drinking Bourbon Supreme.

Nice back story and great looking carne asada!!! Carne asada is always a good crowd pleaser and I'll bet you had people coming out of the wood work.

It's pretty cool how some of our fondest memories of family are wrapped around a meal. I'm sure everyone has some great memories of similar situations. Thanks for sharing Tony, both your family and pics of your cook. It looks delicious.

Looks great Tony! My inlaws did some thing similar..carne asada was always the party favorite! Nice cooking!

Back