A different way to do Chicken.

my mouth started watering when he was pulling the skin off at the end.

I need to spin a bird this weekend.

OK, I'll be the skeptical one: Beer can chicken without the beer? Forget about it. Having to handle all those rocks and shovel gravel for a cook? Forget about it. How many truckloads of hay did it take to do that cook for five or more hours? Forget about it. I did love the scenery and the serenity of his cook, though. And that dog sure had his day, napping for the entire time! Anybody ready for a clambake?

Yes, a lot of work but, for a bunch of folks and a day of fun feasting? Get a bunch of folks together, share the rock shifting duties, the straw banking job. The making of that salad! The drinking of beer! Sounds like a nice way to spend a summer day.

OK, I'll be the skeptical one: Beer can chicken without the beer? Forget about it. Having to handle all those rocks and shovel gravel for a cook? Forget about it. How many truckloads of hay did it take to do that cook for five or more hours? Forget about it. I did love the scenery and the serenity of his cook, though. And that dog sure had his day, napping for the entire time! Anybody ready for a clambake?
Well it's called " Wilderness Cooking ":rolleyes:
You want to see something more primative? check out videos from the guy Bob Bass mentioned.
He lights fire with a flint and steel :p

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

The very best chicken I have EVER had in my life was in Manzanillo, Mexico. They cook it beside the road on stakes, over a 20-30' long bed of coals burning between large concrete barriers about 2-3' apart. You just drive up, they pull one off, squeeze orange juice all over it, and you drive away with it for dinner. Amazing. That said...could have been the tequila too!

Thanks for the tip on that knife.
I bought that knife.
It was like near $30 after tax and I’m happy with it.
I keep it in my emergency kit in the spare tire well of my CR-V.
It’s a nice knife.

Outstanding. I'd love to while away 5 hrs like that. Good for the blood pressure too. Love the outdoor kitchen set-up.
I've been to Azerbaijan a few times. The food is excellent. A kind of Eastern European/Middle East/Sub-Continent fusion. I had one of the best curries I've ever eaten in Baku. Their hibachi style of cooking is top drawer too.
I feel sorry for the dog........poor thing looks traumatised. :rolleyes:

Edit: That rib cook he does is on another level! 😲 And he leaves the membrane on!! :p

Last edited:
I’d trade off one of my children for a well like that.
That thing is freaking awesom.

Seriously though,
I have a union friend that does something very similar with a turkey and a galvanized garbage can.
He calls it garbage can turkey.
I asked him about that well you know that poison galvanized stuff and he said it hasn’t hurt any of the kids in his daughters girls scout group yet.
I just can’t get behind that.
This is one of the reasons us fitters always make fun of them plumbers:).

Outstanding. I'd love to while away 5 hrs like that. Good for the blood pressure too. Love the outdoor kitchen set-up.
I've been to Azerbaijan a few times. The food is excellent. A kind of Eastern European/Middle East/Sub-Continent fusion. I had one of the best curries I've ever eaten in Baku. Their hibachi style of cooking is top drawer too.
I feel sorry for the dog........poor thing looks traumatised. :rolleyes:

Edit: That rib cook he does is on another level! 😲 And he leaves the membrane on!! :p
I just watched that one. Wow. Amazing cook. The kids are cool as heck, too. They devoured that meal like piranhas.

Back