A Bowl of Red

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I usually trim the fat from a chuck roast for this recipe, however Tri-Tip was on sale at an irresistible price. Chose 2 nicely marbled select grade roasts.
Cliff Bartlett had posted a chili cook a few days back using Tri-Tip & I thought "Why Not"? Saves a ton of trimming & the price is right.

PICT4113_zpsc6oxjlbm.jpg

A heavy coating of Big Bad Beef Rub & into the Performer burning used KBB & 5 small chunks of mesquite.

PICT4128_zpsowahiov1.jpg

Pulled at 130* internal temp, allowed to cool & then into the fridge for the night. Cut them into 1" chunks the next day.
I usually go for 3 lbs meat - ended up with 4. Worked out just fine.

PICT4154_zpswwkpb26j.jpg

Fired up the grill with 2 baskets of used KBB. Browned 1 lb of coarse ground pork butt & sauteed a large chopped onion until translucent in the big skillet.

PICT4159_zpsi4pbtz5y.jpg

Added the meat.

PICT4161_zpsyfixcwqi.jpg

1st charge of volunteers: 1 1/2 cup of strong coffee, a bottle of Mexican beer, 3 cloves minced garlic, can of diced tomatoes, 2 anchos (stemmed, seeded, toasted & finely chopped),
2 cubes of chicken bouillon, a small can of finely chopped chipotles in adobo & a small can of salsa verde.

PICT4164_zpsaawhuutx.jpg

PICT4168_zpsqujrazhi.jpg

2nd charge of volunteers: a shot of bourbon, juice of a lime, 1/2 tbs salt, 1/2 tbs black pepper, 3 tbs of Alton Brown chile powder (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe), & 3 tbs ground cumin. Not pictured (but included) 1 square of bittersweet chocolate & 2 tbs sugar.

PICT4171_zpsl3oswz7d.jpg

Stirred everything up & brought to a boil.

PICT4174_zpseyvntbqj.jpg

Last edited:
Rearranged the charcoal baskets added some briquettes, covered the skillet & moved it to the cool side of the grill.

PICT4175_zpsagmoeegs.jpg

Added 8 briquetts every hour & let things simmer for 3 hours or so until the meat was tender.

PICT4183_zpsmlkqoa6c.jpg

Time to eat!

PICT4189_zpseorc9eau.jpg

PICT4204_zpschdnweej.jpg

Some deep heat & burning love!

fwiw - lid was on the grill for the entire cook except to add ingredients & take pix.

Last edited:
I usually trim the fat from a chuck roast for this recipe, however Tri-Tip was on sale at an irresistible price.
Isn't it nuts how cheap Tri-Tip is lately? A couple years ago, it was $8 sometimes $9 a LBS

Simply amazing looking!

PICT4183_zpsmlkqoa6c.jpg

Looks fantastic, Robert! No surprise on the deep heat using the whole can of chipotle & adobo! :) That bowl matches our rainy CA weather today.....gives me some ideas! :)

Rich

Outstanding looking chili Robert. I would be inspired to make some chili if it wasn't 80 degrees right now.

Outstanding looking chili Robert. I would be inspired to make some chili if it wasn't 80 degrees right now.

Thank you. It's been raining the last 2 days with highs in the mid 60's here. Today should be sunny & hit 75* or so.

Geez Robert you emptied the pantry with that one:D Sure looks great, really an ingenious cook.

Looks absolutely delicious Robert. With the weather we've been having up here, that looks especially great. Having said that, I'd take a bowl in mid-July also.

Great one pot meal Robert. Nothing like cast iron for cooking stews and chilies...

Regards,

John

Robert,

Can you share how you came up with the ingredients list?

Why you didn't add any beans?

I googled Tri-tip chili and found some similar lists.

Anyway, thanks for the inspirational post and I'm going for this real soon,

John

Back