6 Butts on New 22.5 without seasoning? Am I crazy?

John_H

TVWBB Member
This Monday I'm considering using my 22.5 WSM for the first time and doing 6 butts. I've owned the 18.5 for several year and am familiar with the smoker but have never used the 22.5. What are your thoughts on seasoning? I typically don't use the water pan but am considering it for this cook to keep the temp down. Any thoughts about doing the cook without seasoning?

It'll be fine. The WSM might run a little hot but butts are forgiving. 6 butts to me is a fantastic way to break that bad boy in.

Yeah, count me in the "What are you talking about, that IS the seasoning!" camp. I tend to run mine with water and that will likely help keep temps from running away too much, but yeah- pork butts aren't all that sensitive. Gonna be a lot of pulled pork at your place.

I haven't done anything close to that amount in a single cook, and just asking, but wouldn't 6 butts be a massive 'heat sink' to begin with - making adding water another 'suck' on fuel?

I am sure to be in the minority on this one, but through my last 4 cooks in my 22.5" I have gone without water in the pan on my pork butts. I use the minion method with just a few lit coals and the vents mostly shut off during the cook, and have turned out some of my best pulled pork over the past few cooks. It should also be noted, however, that I prefer to cook in the 275-300 range rather than 225-250. No way you keep a 22.5" under 250 without a full water pan.

You'll be just fine, John. Pork butt is so forgiving, that even if you have some spiky temps, all will be well. As I recall, I did ribs on my first cook on my 22.5", no seasoning, and it ran like a champ at my target temps just like my 18.5 always did......

....btw, when I first read your post, I thought, well, I'd really want to have some seasoning on that pork.......then I realized you were talking about your WSM! :)

R

"....btw, when I first read your post, I thought, well, I'd really want to have some seasoning on that pork.......then I realized you were talking about your WSM! :)"

That's funny Rich. I'm definitely not crazy enough to go without rub on my butts!!!!

it would help everyone trying to help you if you put your location in your profile (shows up under your name)-->ie whether to use water or not.

Don't need no stinkin' seasoning on your pork. It'll turn out ok with pure flavour :)

Thanks for the tip, Len. I've added my location to my profile. I"m near St. Louis. On Monday it will be rainy and a high near 60. I'm doing a day-time cook. Rain and wind aren't a big issue for me as I have a covered porch that is fairly protected.

Back