6 Butts for Homecoming BBQ

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
My daughter attends a small charter school and they ask for volunteers to cook the BBQ that they sell at the homecoming BBQ. I volunteered to cook 6 out of the 12 butts they needed for the pulled pork. Used some "Butt Rub" from Costco for the seasoning. There's actually 3 butts on the tray to the right.

20221021_145045.jpg

Ready to go.

20221021_145757.jpg

I cooked four on the 18 and two on the 14. I ran Cowboy briquettes with cherry and pecan chunks. Cooked about 8 hours at 250 then I wrapped in foil and moved to the oven at 250 for a few more hours.

20221021_164132.jpg

When the cooking was done I left them wrapped, turned off the oven and let them sit in there for a couple more hours before I took them out to pull. Here they are pulled and ready to go.

20221022_101445.jpg

This was fun and for a good cause. Next year I might volunteer to cook a few of the briskets. Since they supply the meat it would be good practice.

Thanks for looking!

I am a public school teacher, but my kids go to a small private religious school. This right here is what charter schools are all about - families pitching in to help the school, in this case with great food.

That’s awesome! Looks like some good eats. And finally my question of weather the 14 inch sms will fit in the Weber table or not. Have have wondered that since i found one. How many bits will the 14 fit? I will have to keep an eye out for the but rub at Costco, what did you think of it?

That’s awesome! Looks like some good eats. And finally my question of weather the 14 inch sms will fit in the Weber table or not. Have have wondered that since i found one. How many bits will the 14 fit? I will have to keep an eye out for the but rub at Costco, what did you think of it?
I see you had 2 on the 14. Over looked it.

Yes, the 14 WSM works with the Weber table. The Costco Bad Byron's "Butt Rub" is good, just finished my first container.

Yes, the 14 WSM works with the Weber table. The Costco Bad Byron's "Butt Rub" is good, just finished my first container.
Bad Byrons Butt Rub is good stuff. I first used it about 12-13 years ago. I had to get it at Ace Hardware then, but now
most of the grocery stores around here carry it too. I am quick to try a new rub when someone highly recommends it,
but I always seem to return to Bad Byrons. And I think it's about as good as the homemade rub I was using, just much easier. :giggle:

I agree with Fletch - the folks who got your sandwiches hit the jackpot!

Back