2nd WSM - 18.5" or 14"?

Sam B

TVWBB Member
So I have a 22" WSM which is great, but I'm finding that I'm reluctant to fire it up when I'm only cooking for a couple of people (1-4) just because it's so big and uses a lot of charcoal.

I thought I had my mind made up to buy a 14" WSM to use for small cooks, but when I went into my local hardware store they only had a 18.5" WSM and no 14" model. When I saw the 18.5" I thought, WOW that's smaller than I thought it would be!

That's got me thinking, should I to with the 14" as a smaller alternative to the 22"WSM, or will it be too small?

So what do you think? Will the 14" work or is it too small? Keep in mind that I'm keeping my 22" WSM for big cooks. I'm just looking for something that's a little easier to use for small cooks.

Thanks!

I have an 18.5 WSM, and I can cook almost anything on it. The only issue is ribs. I cut them in half. A large brisket or butt is no problem.

I have a 18 and would love a 22. If I were in you position is either make or buy a smaller charcoal ring and use it in my 22

I have a 22 for the house and a 14 for the RV. I've found I use it for smaller cooks at the house as well.

A couple racks of ribs, whole chicken, small turkey, turkey breast, pork butt all fit nicely. I can feed more than four people with that capability.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong.

I have a 22 and an 18.5 WSM, I think that's the perfect combo (IMHO), when only cooking for 2 or 3 I fire up the 18. But when I really need to cook some Q, the 22 fits the bill. I don't think you'd
regret getting an 18 to pair with your 22.

I have 2 14's, 1 18, and 1 22. I use the 22 the most. If my wife made me get of one or two, the first and second choice would be the 14s. I thought I would love the 14 but that just hasn't been the case. I bought one new, and a second for cheap that was used.

I have a 22 and an 18.5 WSM, I think that's the perfect combo (IMHO), when only cooking for 2 or 3 I fire up the 18. But when I really need to cook some Q, the 22 fits the bill. I don't think you'd
regret getting an 18 to pair with your 22.
I have both the 18.5"wsm and the 22.5"wsm also and I'm glad I do. The 18 i run for smaller stuff, like just one butt or something like that. It uses a lot less charcoal too. Did a brisket yesterday and got 14hrs off of one ring full, and that was with water. I had the temp lower then i usually do, 225°. I really like the 18.5"wsm and if I'm doing anything thats smaller than a butt I'll just smoke it on my performer.

I have a 22" and a 14. Sold my 18.5. Very happy with my setup. I use my 22.5 for large or long cooks and my 14.5 for everything else. The 14.5 is small, but it holds it own. I can cook six racks of baby backs (cut in half on weber rib racks), easily 6lb whole chickens, 6 lb butts ect. Just takes a little more effort to arrange everything. My 18.5 was still a charcoal hog compared to the 14.5. Every Walmart around me has the 14.5's by the way.

I agree the 14.5 is the way to go I have a 22 and a 14 and usually cook for four people the 14 get more food than you can eat two 6 pound chickens easily to a pound court fights 16 to 20 chicken wings 8 turkey legs

I also have a 22 and I keep seeing a 14 on clearance at my local Walmart....I keep drooling while looking at it but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I could buy a lot of charcoal to use in the 22 for $155, which is the sale price on the 14.

I think the 14 would be ideal for small cooks or even to take camping with us. The 22 is rather large and consumes alot of charcoal.

Given the fact that you also have a 22" One Touch Gold, I think the 18.5 WSM makes more practical sense for you. The OTG can be your go-to rig for 1-2 people, while the 18.5 WSM can adequately cover the higher end of your cooking needs (3-4 people).

I have, on many occasions, smoked 3 full-length racks of baby backs and spares, uncut, on a 22.5" Weber grill. I've also done an 8 lb pork butt, for 12 hrs on a single load - minion style, with room to spare. Firebricks, and a full bay of unlit charcoal, with the correct lower vent settings, makes the Weber kettle a fine indirect smoking maching. With just a little practice, 10-12 hrs at 225 on a single load of charcoal is not difficult at all.

I've owned one 14.5, and only purchased it because I got it new in box at a ridiculously low price - $100. Sat in basement a couple of months before I sold it - without ever using it. For me it's just not a practical smoker because any of my kettles could cook anything I would put on a 14.5 WSM, and I already have a 18.5 WSM, 26.75 kettle and a couple of large green eggs.

Last edited:
W Tyler
The OP said he had a 22" WSM not a one touch gold, had that been the case I would have agreed with you on the 18.5 but with him having a big WSM then the 14.5 or building a mini makes the most sence IMOP.

I use my 14.5 at least once a week, I like smoked chicken the wife doesn't, I routinely do 16 wings, 8 on the OTG and 8 on the 14.5. I couldn't see firing up my 22 or an 18 for 8 chicken wings or 4 thighs. After the cook I shut it down and save the coal, it is just so easy.

The 14.5 can certainly do more than enough for our family of 4.

P4060184_zps91d95157.jpg

P8030091_zps438a430c.jpg

PART_1416696019186_IMG_20141122_171153633_zps46562256.jpg

PA260068_zps32f74767.jpg

I have an 18.5 WSM & a 14.5 WSM. I love them both, however the 14.5 is seeing most of the action these days. I'm usually cooking for 2. I also have a 22.5 kettle, an 18.5 kettle & a SJ Gold.
Out of all of these, I'm using the 14.5 the most. It uses next to no fuel, takes up little room, heats quickly, is ez to use & is a great little cooker.

Last edited:
One more thing, I originally told my wife I needed the 14.5 for a couple of up coming camping trips. I was planning on only using for camping, but after a few cooks it won me over. I really have to push myself to use my 22.5 now. The 14.5 fits in my Fj cruiser perfectly and a 24" bungee holds it behind the back seat. It travels with me on almost every outing now. I absolutely love it.

There is just the two of us and I use my 14.5 mini 90% of the time. I also have an 18.5 which I use mostly for high heat chicken which you can't beat or PSB which requires a pan so the mini is to small. The 14.5 is very fuel efficient and works as well as the 18.5 but uses about half the coals.
I've done two 10 pound butts at once on the mini and I can do two racks of ribs by using a rib racks, tight but it works.
With your 22 a 14 would seem a good way to go.

I've done 3 racks of ribs on my 14" - two rolled on top and one below. I've done a full chicken along with a meatloaf. For two-four people it is the simplest and fastest way to get smoking - takes less time than the big boys. I have a 22 inch kettle for any food that won't fit (sides). I love this little sucker! Now that it is properly seasoned, temp control is amazingly easy. Get one - you will be surprised at how often you use it instead of thinking "oh, I don't want to fire up the smoker for something that small".

Back