2nd Chance for a True Weber Classic: A 1998 1st Generation Summit 450

I must have been a good boy this year. 20221127_075238.jpgLook at the early Christmas present Santa brought me

Attachments

• 20221127_075238.jpg
    20221127_075238.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221127_075241.jpg
    20221127_075241.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 22
Here's my story.

I bought a used summit 450 about 10 years ago. I really like the grill, but as everyone knows, they have rusted issues. On mine, the flavorizer bar supports rusted out, and I decided I was going to make replacements out of stainless steel. Well, when I took the grill apart, I saw how bad the firebox had become and I decide to rebuild it, as I had replaced the burners about 2 years ago. In the course of doing this, I decided that if I was going to spend the money, I might as well upgrade to a 650. as I had run out of room on the 450 on more than one occasion. I found one on offerup, for cheap, but it's rusty too, so I bought it for parts.

I started rebuilding it like Jon is to his project while I looked for a sheet metal fabricator locally that could make the parts. I already had some stainless sheets that I had picked up at a garage sale a few years back that were big enough to make the parts, so I just needed the labor.

I took the parts to a shop close to work, and he quoted me $300. The owner did the job himself, and it was a cash deal. All told, I've got $400 in the new firebox, and they are 18 gauge 304 Stainless steel. When it's finished, I'll probably have $600 in the grill and it will literally last 200 years. I've already told my kids that they can never sell this grill. Now I just need to find 2 more valves for LP because the 650 I bought is for natural gas and I need to convert it to propane.

Also, what is the shape of the holes for the igniter in the fire box. All of mine are rusted out.
Mike,
They are tear drop shaped, and then you need small holes for the two igniter wires. I can send you a copy of the cardboard template I originally made if that would help you. That was the tricky part of getting my reinforcement plates made. The very nice shop I am using said they couldn’t replicate the curved part that rests on the frame, so I did not pursue the ultimate solution that you have been able to obtain.

FBC74DF4-ACD1-4009-990F-1DE786D37744.jpeg

Yes, if you could send me the template as a pdf that would be awesome. I need to cut the holes so I can start reassembling the grill.

The piece is really not that difficult to make if you have the right equipment. I left an end cap with the fabricator so he could fit the pieces to make sure they were correct. He said that he couldn't have done it without that part. He's an older gentleman and I think he found it an interesting challenge to make the part. I lucked out that I had the material because stainless steel prices are through the roof right now.

The way to make the frame rest is to roll the edge first on a rolling machine, then bend the piece to the right angle. My dad was a journeyman union tinsmith, so I knew what needed to be done. The guy who made it is very skilled and knew how to do it.

Maybe Mike's Fabrication guy would be willing to do more? Would it be possible to get a price quote and post it on line?

I don't know if he'd be open to that. It was a cash deal, and I already had the material. He is the owner of a union shop, and he told me it would have cost a lot more if he had run it through the shop. When he told me $300 for labor, he seemed shocked when I said when do I drop off the material.

That could be tough, Mike. You can try to find a donor LP grill which may be the only viable option. I have two manifolds, but one was converted ot NG (properly with modification to the valves themselves) so what I don't have anything that you can use. In fact, I am not certain the other one I have will work for LP either. I may wind up in the same boat with you!

I've got the part number at home. I googled it but nothing came up. I doubt weber manufactured the valves inhouse. I just can't decipher the manufacturer name from the symbols on the valves.

I agree with Jon. A donor is your best option. Someone on this list might have a parts grill they could sell you a manifold off of. Maybe put up a Wanted thread in the buy/sell/trade section.

I agree with Jon. A donor is your best option. Someone on this list might have a parts grill they could sell you a manifold off of. Maybe put up a Wanted thread in the buy/sell/trade section.
You can use the spools from a Genesis LP manifold IIRC (as long as it's 1st generation type). As well as the orifices. Actually I think you can use the whole valve but simply change out the stems.

You can use the spools from a Genesis LP manifold IIRC (as long as it's 1st generation type). As well as the orifices. Actually I think you can use the whole valve but simply change out the stems.
Thanks. I'll try to find one local. I have the 4 valves from my 450 so I only need 2 more to put in the 650 manifold.

Be aware that while the actual valve is the same, I think the stem length is different. Though they may be the same all the way. I never did measure them. It would not surprise me if Weber used the same ones to cut production cost and inventory. Everything else should be the same as BTU per burner is the same as the Genesis (approx 12k btu per burner)

I just picked one these summits up, a 1997 425 open cart. the igniters are missing, anyone know the part number or what they look like?

When you say igniter do you mean the push button part or the little box portion by the burner. BTW only difference between the ones on the older Genesis and the old Summit is the length of the wires

Back