2nd Chance for a True Weber Classic: A 1998 1st Generation Summit 450

Larry, that is a feasible solution if you have an air compressor.
I think Jon does. I started out trying to use a rattle can but my finger went numb in a heartbeat, and controlling spray quality was hard to do over large items so I gave up, bought the New Orange Kubota color a couple chemicals (thinner and hardener) and went to town. Nice hard finish, good gloss, economical. Heck one rattle can of Kubota paint was nearly $20!

Oh, maybe he does. I also get that numb finger with the rattle cans unless they use those ergonomic type push buttons. But, the high temp Rustoleum paint have the plain old kind unfortunately. I have had it happen where the finger is still partially numb the next day....sheesh.
If I ever have the availability of an air compressor, I may consider that system.

Oh, maybe he does. I also get that numb finger with the rattle cans unless they use those ergonomic type push buttons. But, the high temp Rustoleum paint have the plain old kind unfortunately. I have had it happen where the finger is still partially numb the next day....sheesh.
If I ever have the availability of an air compressor, I may consider that system.
The other nice thing is it does not require a lot of pressure to run so a smaller 6 gal or so compressor can do the job. Though I do recommend a cheap dryer on the air line as well. I moved my large compressor to the basement, plumbed it to the garage and mounted a reel on the wall, along with a regulator/dryer. Works great and I don't have to listen to that gig machine running in the garage

LOL: I have always hated being around an air compressor that someone was using. That random on/off blast of noise always aggravates me.

Wish I had any pressure tank. Maybe if I sell off some grills I can try to get tower clearance for one without having to sleep outside with it. I once dreamed of sand blasting, but that requires a huge tank. That’s a crazy idea, so I just need a basic one.

Last edited:
THAT’S A LOT OF STAINLESS!

I cleaned up the 304 stainless side shelves and cool condiment racks yesterday. One side shelf weighs over 6 pounds. If I find time I am going to caliper them vs. a new Genesis at my local Ace. I doubt the new grill has 304, and they seemed paper thin by comparison last time I looked. This grill must have well over 20 pounds of 304 stainless, maybe closer to 30!

These parts saw regular use and then sat outside unused. They didn’t look horrible but needed attention:

4F2E0DC5-2709-483B-881C-E5FDC25774FB.jpeg

0E7E1C97-0DD2-4E5F-9BB4-2E51D238F641.jpeg
While some don’t like it, I have always had good luck with Bar Keeper’s Friend on stainless. I while back, I bought their liquid version and a spray that claims to work well on rust, etc. This was a great opportunity to try them.

C04EABB1-5AF8-4B31-8075-BF32A3B8752F.jpeg

I wasn’t impressed with the “More” spray, but the liquid (a bit like Soft Scrub) was pretty good. Still, there were some stains that required bringing out the real thing, and in a few areas I resorted to fine grain wet sandpaper.

These stainless parts really bulk up this grill in the making. Larry also had a matching Summit side-burner that I haven’t had opportunity to clean up yet. It will probably replace the top right shelf.

FF60FC0A-5E5C-4331-B9D3-BE3EAB3F1A43.jpeg
B26177BE-771C-4D42-AC23-904B8B7EF9DB.jpeg

Last edited:
I will be interested to see the difference in thickness. However, it is a summit vs Genesis, so one would expect a bit of a difference, even if they were both produced in the same year.

I will be interested to see the difference in thickness. However, it is a summit vs Genesis, so one would expect a bit of a difference, even if they were both produced in the same year.
If I could find a 3rd generation (current) Summit, I would like to measure and test it as well. I never see one for sale at any stores.

THAT’S A LOT OF STAINLESS!

I cleaned up the 304 stainless side shelves and cool condiment racks yesterday. One side shelf weighs over 6 pounds. If I find time I am going to caliper them vs. a new Genesis at my local Ace. I doubt the new grill has 304, and they seemed paper thin by comparison last time I looked. This grill must have well over 20 pounds of 304 stainless, maybe closer to 30!

These parts saw regular use and then sat outside unused. They didn’t look horrible but needed attention:

View attachment 59212

View attachment 59213
While some don’t like it, I have always had good luck with Bar Keeper’s Friend on stainless. I while back, I bought their liquid version and a spray that claims to work well on rust, etc. This was a great opportunity to try them.

View attachment 59215

I wasn’t impressed with the “More” spray, but the liquid (a bit like Soft Scrub) was pretty good. Still, there were some stains that required bringing out the real thing, and in a few areas I resorted to fine grain wet sandpaper.

These stainless parts really bulk up this grill in the making. Larry also had a matching Summit side-burner that I haven’t had opportunity to clean up yet. It will probably replace the top right shelf.

View attachment 59216
View attachment 59217
One of my "plans" was to bring the frame only to this, dump the grill and fit my Genesis to the frame somehow

I have something like this and it works surprisingly well. No more numb finger.
1662941890491.png

Yah, Larry, I would like to have one to look over and see if I could see an way to drop in a Genesis cook box and control panel.

Since those Platinum and Gold grills from the very late 90s used that same frame (the 6-burner longer one, however), in a way it has already been done. I would think you could do similarly in you own custom project. But with the stainless steel shields I have been fortunate to source, why not keep it as a Summit with 4 burners instead of three and a higher hood?

I have something like this and it works surprisingly well. No more numb finger.
View attachment 59242
Still have poor spray control, and expensive rattle cans. Once you actually get a decent spray gun and learn how to do a little rudimentary mixing you will have an "ah ha" moment and wonder why you never did it before.

Maybe someday for me, Larry. Need to semi-retire and if I have the energy by then actually get serious about flipping instead of just collecting grills! In the meantime, I guess I will have to make do with rattle cans which ARE expensive and a pain. On the other hand, while I know I could get basic high heat black (by far the most needed), some of the other colors seem to only be available in spray cans.

Even as a hobbyist a decent compressor and spray setup is worthwhile. Heck I don't flip anything but mixers and while I can and have painted them, there is no profit for me so I don't. So the ones I actually "flip" I make sure I get them "broken" but looking nice, if I get one not looking nice I use it for charitable donations

Even as a hobbyist a decent compressor and spray setup is worthwhile. Heck I don't flip anything but mixers and while I can and have painted them, there is no profit for me so I don't. So the ones I actually "flip" I make sure I get them "broken" but looking nice, if I get one not looking nice I use it for charitable donations
I agree. I use mine 85% for removing dust and dirt from motors and such. Cleaning up everything from vacuums, air purifiers, dehumidifiers, tools, and even my computers get a blow job once a year;-). The other 15% is filling my tires and running a few tools.

Sounds great guys! My wife already recently gave me a stern lecture about my grill hobby. I am sure she would be fully in favor of another power tool acquistion :rolleyes: . There' always Christmas...

I do get that it would have more uses and make painting easier (that would be nice!); I just have to take it a step at a time.

To be honest, my son offered me his old compressor. In fact, he wants me to take it. I just don't have the space for it right now. If things work out, I will probably grab it next spring. He just upgraded to a bigger one.

Back