2nd Bacon Attempt

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a 10 pound pork belly on the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] of October. After splitting it in half and doing some
trimming I ended up with a 4 pound slab and a 5 pound slab. I coated both with Morton Tender Quick
only and then put in 2 gallon bags and into the refrigerator, to be turned over every day for the next 7 days.
I need to add that I took the rind completely off one of the slabs to see if there was a difference in flavor
and taste. This time around I skipped all the other additives such as garlic powder, maple syrup, pepper, etc.
as I didn’t really get enough of those flavors out of my first bacon attempt.

I removed them from the refrigerator last Friday night, rinsed them off and cut off a small piece from
each of them to test for saltiness. Both were just about right, so I then cut each slab in half and coated
2 slabs with a 5 pepper blend from McCormick’s and the other 2 slabs were coated with pure maple sugar.
They were then put on cookie racks and back into the refrigerator until Saturday.

On Saturday I coated each of the slabs once again with the pepper mix and the pure maple sugar.
They were then put onto the WSM, with pecan chunks. I held a steady temperature of 160 for
4 hours and when I checked them at the 4 hour mark all the slabs were at 143 internal temperature.
I was shooting for 145. This was close enough for me. So after quickly cooling them down, they were
bagged and put back into the refrigerator. Forgot to take pictures!

I didn’t get around to slicing them yesterday as my helper (wife) was out of town and wouldn’t be
back until late last night. My wife’s mother gave us an old Electra-O-Matic meat slicer and it is really
a 2 person job on using it.

Tonight the bacon was removed from the refrigerator and getting ready to be sliced.
DSC_8637.jpg

Sliced
DSC_8651.jpg

Pepper Bacon close up
DSC_8655.jpg

Maple Bacon close up
DSC_8657.jpg

Samples into the CI skillet
DSC_8658.jpg

Almost done
DSC_8662.jpg

Plated with some fried potatoes with onion and scrambled eggs.
DSC_8665.jpg

Packaged for the freezer. We ended up with 11 packages of bacon and 2 small packages of bacon ends.
I didn't bother weighing each package as we just put about the same amount in each package.
DSC_8666.jpg

As far as my experiment with removing the rind went, the pepper bacon seemed to have more of a peppery
flavor with the rind gone. It also stuck real well to both sides of the bacon. The maple bacon was good,
but there was not a strong maple flavor. I think the next time I make bacon I will continue taking the rind
completely off before I use the MTQ. I did remove the rind from the maple bacon while it was still warm and
that was a piece of cake.

Thanks for looking! I probably should have posted this in the Charcuterie forum, so if this is the wrong place Chris
please move it.

Yum!!! Love it Mike! I have only had the opportunity to do small chunks about 2 Lbs apiece...I pull the rind of mine and pretty much everything else the same except I only cure the smaller pieces to 5 days! Your bacon looks awesome buddy! I guess I need to go visit the butcher now!

Thanks much...excellent post!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :)
Ethan, both of them were 200 % tastier than any that I have every bought.
I really like the flavor of the pepper bacon, but as I said when I do it again I am
going to remove the rind completely before adding the salt mixture. I think what
helped the pepper bacon was that I was able to get both sides heavily peppered during
the drying period. I will do this with the next maple one and see if this helps. I know that
the pecan wood flavor made them both taste great.

Back