26 vs 22?

Mike_Y

Back in June, I bought my first Weber product, which was a WSM 22.5. I freaking love that thing! For grilling, I've been using an old Char-broil 6 burner gasser; however, i'm now ready to get a charcoal grill.

With that said, I'm torn in different directions as to which one I should purchase. 26 OTG or 22 OTG? Do you really gain a lot more cooking space? Is it worth the extra $$$? I value extra size, but at what price? Hopefully some of you can provide me some insight.

I appreciate the feedback.

Put a 26" next to a 22" - the size difference is night and day. If I had to say what's the number one reason for having the 26 over the 22, it would have to be the ability to do quality indirect cooking

You'll eventually have both, so does it really matter- you can blame this place! ;)

How many people do you regularly cook for?

You'll eventually have both, so does it really matter- you can blame this place! ;)

How many people do you regularly cook for?

Usually just for my wife and I; however, I usually cook a hell of a lot of food for left-overs and lunch during the week. On a typical night, I'll cook around 12 chicken breasts and a bunch of mixed veggies in a grill basket.

I wish my local HD had a display of the 26 vs 22 to compare. I'm usually the kind of guy who says "go big or go home", but I wanted to be sure it would be worth it in this case. I've only been grilling on charcoal over the last month or so (an old 18.5 silver someone gave me), but I'm hooked now and want to invest in an awesome charcoal grill.

Put a 26" next to a 22" - the size difference is night and day. If I had to say what's the number one reason for having the 26 over the 22, it would have to be the ability to do quality indirect cooking

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a big discrepancy in the amount of charcoal used in the 26 vs 22?

If you're cost conscious and want to ease into this, then scour your local Craigslist for a cheap 22.5 used One Touch Silver grill.......$50 or less...see if that works for you. If you find it too "small" for most of your needs, then get the 26.

I have both and find the 22.5 is plenty for most of my BBQ and grilling needs. I use it 30-to-1 over my 26.75. Brand new the 26.75 is twice the price of a 22.5" One Touch Gold. Some people recommend two 22.5 OTGs over a single 26.75 because of the extra cooking options available with separate pits. But that does mean managing multiple fires, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a big discrepancy in the amount of charcoal used in the 26 vs 22?
In all honesty, that's going to fall on you. You can learn several technics on this forum that will result in very efficient operation of whatever you end up with. You can also just throw in a boatload and never look back. It's all up to you how efficient you become with whatever you end up with

Now there's some good advice.

If you're cost conscious and want to ease into this, then scour your local Craigslist for a cheap 22.5 used One Touch Silver grill.......$50 or less...see if that works for you. If you find it too "small" for most of your needs, then get the 26.

I have both and find the 22.5 is plenty for most of my BBQ and grilling needs. I use it 30-to-1 over my 26.75. Brand new the 26.75 is twice the price of a 22.5" One Touch Gold. Some people recommend two 22.5 OTGs over a single 26.75 because of the extra cooking options available with separate pits. But that does mean managing multiple fires, etc.

I agree, this is great advice:

If you want a grill that can supply you with both an adequate hot cooking area and a warm/cool holding area then the 26.75" is your grill. That is really what made the decision for me.

Thanks everyone! I trusted my gut and purchased the 26" :) Now the wife wants to know what's on my Christmas list to go with it!

I'd take a serious look at Steve Porter's mod for the 26. He is using factory parts. My mod is more difficult, the 26 needs a strong base. There's lots of posts some by me some by others on the potential of the 26. Cast iron cookware would be awesome but the legs are weak for any amount of weight.

You can do just about anything on the 26 when you think outside the box.

Great advice by W Tyler! I thought my performer would be big enough for Barb and I but after doing a relatively small whole turkey on it I can see where the extra real estate would be great for large indirect cooks. But I'll wait for the 26.75 performer.

It would be very helpful if Santa were to give you a Thermopen for Christmas. I really like Brian's pick also. Good luck and good smoking.

Bill

I've got both and as some younger people I know would say the 26.75 "is the bomb", "off the chain", etc.

Back