22.5" WSM ordered

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
So, I just placed my order for a 22.5" WSM (through Amazon, using the link from TVWBB). Now, I've only put in $80.77 of my own money, with the rest of the cost coming from gift cards from family/friends, as well as those generated by Bing points.

Now, my plan is to run it stock for a while (eventually I'd like to get the Cajun Bandit upgrade kit, and some sort of gasket kit), and my first real cook on it is going to be a couple of brisket flats for a friend's wife's 40th birthday party (I'm planning to do 1-2 small cooks beforehand to season it a bit). Pics will follow once it comes in. :D

Congrats - enjoy your new WSM. Lots of time for upgrades and mods like the CB door but it's a great cooker right out of the box.

You might even find the gasket kit isn't necessary. Personally, I couldn't take the stock door of the 22 and swapped it out before I ever fired it up. My 18 is still using the stock door as the smaller size has a better fit.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. :D

Congrats on the purchase. I got my 22 a few months ago when I moved from a condo to a house. Ive only got about 5 cooks in before the weather turned and my wife got pregnant and didn't want beef or pork. I did realize with the help of this site that if you want your fuel for left over cooks you need the cb door cuz the stock door lets in too much air. I got the cb kit on order. Ill update you when I get it!

Season it, cook on it and get to know it and enjoy it.. Spend some money on smoking and beer. Once you get a feel for the smoker you can go crazy with mods. One poster mentioned that you can't snuff out the fire with the stock smoker. I respectfully disagree. You may need to play with shaping the door a but after that you'll be saving charcoal. Good luck and welcome.

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 14.5 that's supposed to be delivered today and can hardly wait. Plan to season it this weekend and throw my first pork butt on the weekend after. Enjoy it!

My WSM just came in today, and after assembling it, I have realized it is NOT the 2014 model. :( It's ok though, the door has a big enough gap that I can fit my wires through.
e7.gif

ETA: Here's a pic of it, put together and sitting next to my 22.5" OTG (with thermometer mod in lid) in the back yard.

n6ig.jpg

Last edited:
My WSM just came in today, and after assembling it, I have realized it is NOT the 2014 model. :( It's ok though, the door has a big enough gap that I can fit my wires through.
e7.gif

ETA: Here's a pic of it, put together and sitting next to my 22.5" OTG (with thermometer mod in lid) in the back yard.

n6ig.jpg

Here's some aftermarket product mod suggestions for ya: the Unknown BBQ wsm hinge and the Cajun Bandit door. As for do it yourself mods, I'd add some handles to the midsection and cut a little notch in the top of it for temp wires. My extra top vent comes in handy as well. There's others as well, but I'll leave it at that. Congrats, and get cookin'!

Steve;
Don't fret about it not being the 2014 model. The grommet is not nearly so useful as the slot in the top of the barrel. I have a slot on two of my smokers and have the 2014 with silicone grommet - let's just say the grommet is highly overrated. The slot works MUCH better when removing the top grate (frankly, when doing ANYTHING). My 2014 will shortly (like tomorrow) have a slot...

Congratulations on your new acquisition - you'll love it. Don't jump into a lot of mods until you have a few cooks under your belt. Then, you'll see what YOU need (or not). Right out of the box these things do a REAL BBQ job on a regular basis.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back