21.11# Rosh Hashanah smoked brisket coming up - Sat night overnight cook

You should be just about to wake up for your check in on the brisket, I’m sure it will be fine. Brett, that all just looks fabulous! You are on the list of my “member tour” but, you’re a pretty fair distance away, it could be a second “western trip“ but, one never knows.

Just awoke. And good thing too.

First pic from the overnight and its still in the stall.

1664114143489.jpeg

1664114167020.jpeg

Checked temps while still in bed and still in the stall. Came down and did a quick chimney sweep and yup, the KPro ash was impeding airflow.

AND, since this was my first live broadcast cook, my signals battery was showing low power.

Quickly plugged in the Signals and all is right with the world again.

Going to wait till the stall is over, usually once I see a uniform rise of the whole brisket. Then I’ll wrap and get to 300° S6 temp to finish the brisket off.

Overall, some good success so far. Really nice bark. Really nice nose coming from the brisket. We might have a winner here. Fingers still crossed.

Last edited:
You should be just about to wake up for your check in on the brisket, I’m sure it will be fine. Brett, that all just looks fabulous! You are on the list of my “member tour” but, you’re a pretty fair distance away, it could be a second “western trip“ but, one never knows.
You’re always welcome here. Just let me know when. Summer is nicer than winter. Then fall and spring. Winter is all rain so not worth it IMO.

Most of us CA guys are within 2 hours of each other, from the Bay Area to here, Sacramento region just at the Sierra Nevada base.

LOL Brett - I logged into your Thermoworks cloud share and I felt like I was right there with you 🤣 Then I had to go all John Madden telestrator (BOOM!) I'm past due to try a brisket on my WSK. Will definitely check back with you on some advise. My low temp cooks on the WSK haven't been all that good so far (struggling to keep temps down) but I also haven't tried your water pan set up.

Looking forward to some picks after slicing. I'm sure it will be awesome.

1664116306316.png

More than happy to share what I’m learning.

Yes, the AJ or a water tray will help keep very consistent low temps as you see in the graph.

The high temp spike is two things, I believe. First is AJ is about all evaporated AND the latter wood chunks are firing off and burning hotter, thus the temp run up.

Once the wood chunk burns off, you see the temps drop back down again.

After I did the sweep and the opened up the lower and top vents a smidge, I like my current trends and temp reads.

And this is a big choice brisket so the stall, due to lower cook temp, is running a little longer than usual.

I should get to 173° soon and then I’ll wrap, which at that temp I’ll be out of the stall, usually.

I’d recco starting with a smaller cook weight, say 14#. Those are always easy cooks.

The WSK is pretty easy to manage and work with. I’m sure you’ll master it quickly and to your desired results. You’ve got the skills.

Finally out of the stall and now wrapped.

Waited till the point and flat were both above 173° and rising. Pulled and then into butcher paper and probes put back in for final monitoring.

1664120878665.jpeg

1664120896128.jpeg

1664120913394.jpeg

And back onto the S6 for finishing.

1664121077360.jpeg

1.3# chicken livers now made in patè. Added 14 hard boiled eggs and incorporated.

Don’t judge it until you’ve had it. It’s quite rich in flavor and smooth in texture. The flavor is amazing. Goes really well on challah too.

1664123198053.jpeg

Around 13 hours 20 minutes total cook time for an 18# Choice brisket. Not bad time at all.

1664130907085.jpeg

Resting in the oven for a few hours. Dinner is at 6p.

1664130943915.jpeg

The residual drippings. Not too much junk this cook versus the Prime one I did this June.

1664131055911.jpeg

As is tradition we will enjoy fresh pomegranates tonight. The meaning is many, as in the seeds inside a pomegranate.

May you live a long life. One full of blessings. May you have many children. May you enjoy lots of good health. May you help those that are less fortunate than yourself. Happy New Year to those who celebrate.

1664131292614.jpeg

1664131306996.jpeg

Attachments

• 1664130990031.jpeg
    1664130990031.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2

Back