2021 Ford Bronco

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
As one who has never owned a Ford, for no particular reason, I am intrigued with this vehicle. No I do not off-road. I do not tow. But, with rough roads, I like the idea of a tough vehicle.

Your thoughts?

Sorry after seeing how badly Ford, Nissan, GM, Hyundai/Kia and Chrysler stuff would hold up while I was in the rental business I would not touch any of them. Especially a first year model. Mechanically though even the most ardent vehicle abuser did not seem to hurt the Korean twins that much. It was the interiors that went to crap usually within 2 weeks of delivery brand new. Chrysler stuff could barely make it 200 miles after delivery without ending up in the dealership for serious obscure issues they actually had to be towed in with and left there for many weeks. The Ford stuff overall had interiors that held up as good as anything. Mechanically not so much. When you work in rentals you learn a lot...................quickly LOL

I had one and one half Broncos, a 1973 full size and a 1985 Bronco II. The full size was a beast but would go anywhere you wanted to go at 11 mpg.
It was pretty reliable but not well suited to commuter traffic.
The Bronco II was much more agile but not nearly as powerful, but still got the job done. Very rough ride due to the short wheelbase.
My first impression of the new bronco is why, that segment of the auto world is quite small and dominated by Jeep. For the money they want for the new bronco I certainly wouldn't be running through the pucker bushes and scratch it all up.
If your looking for a four wheel drive vehicle there are a lot better options out there for the same amount of money or less, if you want the macho look, well the bronco would do it.

They're cool, but I don't know if I'd ever buy one brand new.

Not to make this into a pissing contest 😄, but I'm a Toyota guy. Through and through for the past 13 years, and probably life.

Agree the new Bronco's are really cool looking, and I think it's cool that Ford is bringing the brand back. Maybe they'll offer an all-white california freeway OJ addition? :ROFLMAO:

I also agree that buying a first model year car is a bad idea. I worked in the OEM auto parts industry and closely with OEMs (mostly Toyota, and GM) for about 5 years. Even with Toyota, there is no way to work out all of the bugs on an aggressive new model launch. I guess if you're best buddies with your dealers service manager you might want to roll the dice, but otherwise it's not worth the hassle IMO. Maybe on a lower volume luxury brand auto the risk isn't quite as high, but I'd still never do it.

The thing about Toyota though is typically even a first year model for them will still be far and away better than any US brand or nearly any brand for that matter except maybe Honda. But I give Toyota the slight edge there. They tend to vet models extremely carefully prior to intro

Dang, not exactly rousing support! I must admit there might be one or two vehicles that have been around a while that might make more sense...4-runner? and 'm sure others.

I went from driving a Toyota Sequoia to a diesel VW sportwagen-loved that diesel, to a gas sportwagen, Like the simple interior and driving dynamics. Now what? Part of me would like a mostly U.S. made vehicle. Having driven a Ford Ranger, I like that engine. Oh well I'm not actively looking per se but trying to find the next thing.

emergency braking, Adaptive cruise & lane hold assist are musts

It is interesting reading your thoughts, thanks

FixOnRoadDaily
or

FastOnRaceDay

I've owned a Oldsmobile, seven Chevy's, five Fords, a GMC, a Datsun, and a Dodge.
Had a problem with one of the chevy's and MAJOR problems all-the-time with the Dodge.

To me, a car is a car is a car is a car. Substitute the word truck if you like. but i'll never ever buy another dodge if it's the last vehicle ever made.
I STILL have nightmares about that p.o.s. and it was in 1977.

FixOnRoadDaily
or

FastOnRaceDay

I've owned a Oldsmobile, seven Chevy's, five Fords, a GMC, a Datsun, and a Dodge.
Had a problem with one of the chevy's and MAJOR problems all-the-time with the Dodge.

To me, a car is a car is a car is a car. Substitute the word truck if you like. but i'll never ever buy another dodge if it's the last vehicle ever made.
I STILL have nightmares about that p.o.s. and it was in 1977.
You forgot "Found On Road Dead".;)

In 1975 my parents bought a first-year Plymouth Volare station wagon, and at one time it and the Dodge Aspen (its twin) were the most recalled cars in history IIRC. Might even still hold the record today!

Steve, just bite the bullet and get a new 1000 HP, all-electric Hummer with your pocket money.:eek:

Fix Or Repair Daily was another one. My dad was a Ford guy. Only work truck he would buy and he loved his LTD.
I bought his old 72 F-150. Straight six with a 3 speed on the collar. I learned ( from him) how to drive a clutch on that one.
You could climb in the engine compartment to work on that baby with no problems.

Got to agree with Larry, Toyotas out of the over 200 cars and trucks I have owned are the most reliable. Not very exciting but as reliable as a brick.
Our Home Depot express and dog hauler is a 2002 Toyota 4 runner. 18 years old and 204000 on it and it doesn't leak anything or use any fluids, every thing works perfectly, no squeaks or rattles. Built like a tank and drives like a new car. Never had anything like except our 1993 Camry that we had eight years 112000 miles nothing ever went wrong with it.

Dang, I love my F150. News for anyone interested in a Bronco. The insurance agency that I manage is owned and located in the largest Ford dealer in Texas. All the Bronco's are pre-sold by reservation. The first round of reservations are closed for now, essentially sold out. If you were to decide to get in line it most likely would be October 2021 before you could get one. People are excited about these coming back.

Our Home Depot express and dog hauler is a 2002 Toyota 4 runner. 18 years old and 204000 on it and it doesn't leak anything or use any fluids, every thing works perfectly, no squeaks or rattles. Built like a tank and drives like a new car.

I'll see your 4-Runner and raise you my 2000 Acura (Honda) MDX with 220k on it. 7 seats when you need them; tons of hauling space when you don't. But its days in the fleet are numbered -- the Mrs keeps bugging me to get rid of that old car. Amazing how well cars are made these days (see below).

In 1975 my parents bought a first-year Plymouth Volare station wagon, and at one time it and the Dodge Aspen (its twin) were the most recalled cars in history IIRC. Might even still hold the record today!

In the late 70s my brother had a Chrysler K-car and I drove an AMC Hornet. Two of the worst vehicles ever made. We were on first name basis with all the local tow truck guys.

Yea, I'm another one who will never buy another American car, ever again. Too many problems.

On a related note, I read recently that Ford is going to bring the Maverick back... Only thing is, it's going to be their small truck. Blasphemy! What was wrong with "Ranger"?

And on a related note to that related note, Lincoln's new crossover model is the Corsair. Ford must be hoping that potential buyers don't know or remember what the first Corsair was.:ROFLMAO:

1604109456649.png

Oh, and the Ranger name was also used for an Edsel model!

Last edited:
As for F O R D
You forgot F***** On Raw Deal :D
My issue with Ford is the engines. They used to have really solid reliable and easy to maintain engines up until they decided to get all weird and start making them smaller and smaller and DOHC, with multiple chain drives, then turbo and super charging. I still laugh. Seeing some giant F150 with a 2.5 liter engine that's turbo'd to an inch of it's life. Hell you get your own pressure cooker bomb under the hood. They need to go back to their good old V8's 351/302 small block and the big 460 for the big jobs. They could run hundreds of thousands of miles, could be beat on mercilessly and still held up.
Another friend of mine is in the maintenance dept of a local highway dept. He was telling me how bad the Ford diesels are. But, when I asked him how come the highway dept keeps buying them he said simple. It's because they're cheap to buy. So cheap they find it cheaper to simply change engines at 80k miles than buy Duramax diesels. Some kinda logic if you ask me

When it comes to cars, who cares. Ford only makes the great Mustang now. When it comes to 4x4 trucks & sport utitilty Ford rocks the USA.
Go back to old V8's bull. My wifes turbo V6 F150 eats V8's of any brand for breakfast lunch or dinner. Its so fun to suck a Hemi v8 up the exhaust pipes. As far as 20 year old toyotas, big deal. I have a 20 year old F250 V10 engine, the truck has been beat to death on job sites, elk hunting trips & is now the heavy duty plow truck. I'll hook it up to any light weight toyota pickup out there rip the toyota junk in half & then pull it up red mtn pass. Ford USA #1! Ford F150 #1 seller 43 years in a row. Not toyota, not govenrment motors, not dodge. Just Ford. And the new Bronco will coming out will blow Chrysler's Jeep sales right off the charts. By the way old original Bronco's restored are worth $150,000, if you can even find one. Other words this has been Paul Harvey with the rest of the story. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
When it comes to cars, who cares. Ford only makes the great Mustang now. When it comes to 4x4 trucks & sport utitilty Ford rocks the USA.
Go back to old V8's bull. My wifes turbo V6 F150 eats V8's of any brand for breakfast lunch or dinner. Its so fun to suck a Hemi v8 up the exhaust pipes. As far as 20 year old toyotas, big deal. I have a 20 year old F250 V10 engine, the truck has been beat to death on job sites, elk hunting trips & is now the heavy duty plow truck. I'll hook it up to any light weight toyota pickup out there rip the toyota junk in half & then pull it up red mtn pass. Ford USA #1! Ford F150 #1 seller 36 years in a row. Not toyota, not govenrment motors, not dodge. Just Ford. And the new Bronco will coming out will blow Chrysler's Jeep sales right off the charts. By the way old original Bronco's restored are worth $150,000, if you can even find one. Other words this has been Paul Harvey with the rest of the story. Have a nice day.

Well said Russ. My turbo V6 F150 gets me 21 MPG without even trying.

Well said Russ. My turbo V6 F150 gets me 21 MPG without even trying.
Yep, the wifes gets 21.3 right now on her F150 4x4 short trips & around town. Now if this truck was powered back in the good old days with a great 460 V8 it would have half the horse power & a 3rd less torque. And deliver a good old days a 8mpg doing it. I know I had several back in the 80's & 90's. And as far as this BS chains & gears on these new motors there are rated to 200 to 250,000 miles before replacing the chain drive units. Back in the good old days V8's the timing chain between crank shaft & the cam shaft was a weak link. At 50,000 miles the timing chains were stretched & worn. Engines would not fire on top dead center. The after market fixed this problem with quality timing chains & metal gears. Some good old days V8's had plastic toothed timing chain gears which wore fast & sometimes even broke. Resulting in a sucked valve going through a piston. Plus these good old carburated V8's stunk. Exhaust stunk too. Hope that this helps.

Back